Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

Is it worth waiting to purchase a new MDX and paying full MSRP?

• Yes, there is nothing else like it.

Votes: 12 42.9%
  • Yes, but you have to negotiate your price.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, Cause it is simple capitalizm - supply & demand - dealer makes the cash

Votes: 12 42.9%
  • No, Great vehicle, but it is not worth it the wait and the full MSRP

Votes: 4 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading all of the posts, I am wondering if it is really worth the wait for one of these vehicles. It really has everything I want but there are other choices out there for my family. I have never waited 3 to 6 months for a new car and I certainly never have paid MSRP. I purchased a 2000 Maxima GLE totally loaded last year and paid almost 6k under sticker!True story. With the auto industry in a quasi recession and everyone from Volvo to Chyrstler offering rebates, Is it worth the wait and the MSRP?

Please let me know.

Thanks

Kevin

·
681 Posts
It Was For Me

As the car rental ad says -There's the MDX and then there's NOT EXACTLY :D

I've bought a lot of cars, some pretty great and some hardly remembered. I definitely remember the fun I had driving the great ones but I don't remember what I paid for any of them.

And if you just can't wait, that's not a problem - dealer's lots are full of unsold cars like Explorers and Excursions. But they're available precisely because no one is waiting in line to buy them.
I bet you could have gotten a great discount on the Acura SLX that last year when ONLY 300 were sold.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Yes, but ...

... not everyone CAN wait. Waiting involves a lot of factors, some of which are beyond an individual's control. I sincerely believe that for most people a little more proactivity on their part can significantly reduce the wait. One does not have to buy from the nearest dealer for example;) Many purchasers are too passive in their pursuit.

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
Actually, I think the MDX will do quite well in bad economic times, even at its close-to-MSRP price. And, if enough pressure hits, it'll start discounting and will just kill the lower-priced competition -- if only Acura could keep up the supply and shorten the waiting lists.

Reason is that even at MSRP it's still in the pricing ballpark of more pedestrian, everyday mass-market vehicles like the Explorer (higher trims). $35k and $37.5k are relatively cheap in today's marketplace. Inevitable discounting (2002.5's?) should pull this lower.

Sure the RX can be bought for fairly cheap, and it'll go cheaper because supply is high, demand is waning, and it's going to be in its last model year. Funny thing is that Acura, with supply constraints, can more easily afford to not overproduce if demand does dwindle, whereas Lexus is under pressure to sell 90k vehicles or more every year (they won't this year based on the latest sales figures).

I think SUV's that are priced above $40k are going to bear the brunt of the bad economic times. A lot of folks won't be able to justify that price range even if there are some things in those vehicles they want. A good example is the 2002 ML320. The thing has hardly hit the showrooms yet, has a lot of nice improvements, but dealers are already selling it $500-$1,000 above invoice. That's unheard of so early in any previous ML model year. It's not as if MB has suddenly doubled the production. So dealers must be really frightened about sluggish demand.

Not so, fortunately AND unfortunately, for Acura dealers. Yet.

But I agree. Everyone has a different tolerance for waiting, and different reason to and not to wait. But would I pay somewhat more and wait a bit, assuming I could, for an MDX at MSRP over a Durango (or an Explorer)? Heck, YEAH.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Good question - I'm starting to weigh alternatives as well.

Not just because of the wait - because of the full MSRP, the fact that it's still missing a few items I consider essential (VSA for one), the competition has lowered it's prices (I know MDXers are a loyal bunch, but for even money, if you don't need all the cargo space, the RX300 is a pretty sweet vehicle, and the new ML320 ain't bad either).

The economy is going to stink it up for the next year or two, but because Acura doesn't make nearly enough of these things, MSRP will reign for some time (even when discounting happens, won't be serious).

I thought of just buying (or even leasing), for the next 3 years, one of the alternatives (please, PLEASE don't mention Durango or Explorer - different price range entirely). By that time, Acura will make more, a Honda version of the MDX will be on the streets, and the exclusivity of the MDX will be no more. At that point, I'm guessing that even if Honda doesn't budge from MSRP, they'll have to toss in more goodies to meet the competition.

Finally - don't look at discounting by MB and Lexus as throwing in the towel. The Acura hasn't hit it's second year yet - and a very limited first year run at that. In their first years, MB and Lexus did incredibly well, moving cars off the lot at record speed. I wonder - when a Honda MDX hits the lots, and initial demand is met by supply. what do we have to expect from the sticker price of an MDX?

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Re: MSRP Pricing

I agree wholeheartedly with wmquan. I am astounded at the MSRP of other vehicles when they are fully decked put. William mentioned the new Explorer, but also consider the Highlander.

I was one of the most active posters/participants on the early Edmund's threads prior to the HL coming out. I and other's eagerly anticipated its debut. Speculations ran wild and price point was eagerly discussed. When Toyota announced the price I was shocked and one of the first to revolt. I had anticipated a price point midway between the RAV4 and the 4Runner. But it was not to be; HL is much closer to the higher priced 4Runner.

The very first HL I saw on the lot at Don McGill Toyota had a sticker of $39,700. Needless to say I ran back to Edmund's and started touting the merits of MDX. I said it then and I'll say it now; for the money (even full MSRP) the MDX is one of the best SUV deals on the market.

·
Registered
87 Posts
The Wait

Brilliant reply Mr. Quan. I too, perused various dealers looking for reasons NOT to wait for my MDX (2 month wait, finally arrived 10/28). While waiting for my MDX, I test drove a $39,800 Highlander. Admittedly drove and tracked slightly better than my MDX. That's about it. The Toyota dealer reported that "these things are selling like hot-cakes!" When I told him I was waiting for an MDX, his eyes gave him away, he recovered and said "those are nice cars too, but the Highlander....blah blah blah" The point being is that the dealer and Toyota know they have hit a price-point that is absolutely absurd for the HL; they are banking on Toyota's excellent build reputation to sell the auto; the fact that MDX's are in relatively short supply helps their cause. When Honda produces their "homely" version of the MDX, the HL prices should go down. A fully loaded Ford ExPloder does go for around $37K in my neck of the woods. Unbelievable. A fully loaded (way past it's prime),4-Runner also around $39K. A fully loaded (too darn large), Toyota Seq. was around $42K.

My consumer ego is the only thing that suffered. The notion of having to wait for anything less than a Ferrari or some other exotic also seemed absurd to me. So, while waiting impatiently
for my MDX, I test drove. Mumbling to myself that I would find something better and available. X-5 3.0, cool car, BMW cache. MB 320, it's an MB, what more? Neither one had the features my MDX had. The RX 300 was next: I don't get it? Why all the fuss? It's NOT that much better appointed than the Acura. The InfinityQ Four-Five was suprisingly impressive. IMHOP, a more plush interior than the RX., however the rest of the vehicle does seem dated. I even ventured into the LandRover Disco dealer and drove one: smells great, handles like my '95 Montero SR, actually my SR handles better. There was nothing out there that convinced me that I should NOT wait.

Acura, heck the marquee has a rep as the value leader amongst prestige autos, without the overt "hey LOOK AT ME, I'm a Lexus, MB, fill in the blank, owner." In fact the only other disappointment I have had was that my wife, who is the primary driver, reports that in the 2 weeks we've owned the car, NO ONE has approached her to ask about it.

In summary, despite my belief that a free market economy ought to be able to cater to my "I want it now" persona, the MDX, because of price, value, features, etc. was worth the wait. Even for me. If circumstances allow you to wait. Wait. The MDX is SWEET.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Nice comments Acura3

Thanks for your comments about waiting for the MDX. It makes
my wait a little better. Every time I read the positive, about the MDX, the wait seems a little shorter......

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have done "extensive" research on the "creature comforts" in the SUVs. If you want a comparison on those, let me know. The MDX is definately worth the wait just for those when you compare the rides and handling.

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
2002 black/ebony tour w/nav

yes its worth the wait it took my dealership 2 months to get but must pay msrp or above otherwise you will wait up to six months the demand is very high and people are outbidding others to get it faster i've had for 2 weeks its amazing vehicle nothing compares in all features. i did research on vehicle for 9 months prior to purchasing. definetly worth wait drives the best handles the best again theirs no real comparison to it :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
50 Posts
Paul123, I have had mine 1 month and couldn't love it more. I am very pleased with EVERYTHING about it. Even my neighbor (who hates SUV's) said she really likes the seats, "almost as good as their van". MDX doesn't have the captains chairs like the van and aren't quite as comfy. That has been the ONLY complaint. She only rides in it about every 2 weeks so she can deal with it. My dogs like it and they are the ones who ride in it more then anyone else.:p

·
Registered
715 Posts
The MDX has finally gone to the dogs!

Strong, next time be sure and include a few comments from your 4 legged friends....like "Woof, woof, there sure is a lot of room in here!" or "Rap, rap, rap....I just love putting my nose up against the glass. This is sooooo cool!":D

Glad you and Paul like it.....if you can afford the wait, it is definitely worth it.

Bark! Bark! Enjoy!

·
Registered
50 Posts
octavian: It is more like "Woof, Woof, I really like sticking my head out the sunroof:cool: ". And "Can you roll down the window more so I can get more of my body out:p ". Thank goodness for the cargo cover, otherwise I would never get all the hair out! They like it so much I don't even have to be moving - they just like to sit in it - Do they know cool or what!!!?

·
Registered
715 Posts
LOL....they are the epitome of cool.:cool: We have a cat. Does not like travelling at all....MDX or not. Sits in the foot well. I slammed on the brakes once. You should have heard the screeching.....and it wasn't my brakes.;)

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Re: Yes, but ...

msu79gt82 said:
... not everyone CAN wait. Waiting involves a lot of factors, some of which are beyond an individual's control. I sincerely believe that for most people a little more proactivity on their part can significantly reduce the wait. One does not have to buy from the nearest dealer for example;) Many purchasers are too passive in their pursuit.
I agree!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts