Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a '02 MDX base model. I bought it base because I figured that I would be installing my own sound/enterainment system. The sound system I am proud to say is very nice. Not that the original Alpines weren't bad. But I ran into a snag when searching for the enterainment system. Since some of the climate controls are intergrated into the trip computer's screen, I can't install a DVD screen where the trip computer is. I went to my local aftermarket electronics shop(AudioConnection in Baltimore), and they told me the same thing.......if I installed a DVD screen where the trip computer screen is, I would lose some climate controls. This is NOT ACCEPTABLE. I don't want screens in the visor, I don't want screens behind the headrest, and I definately don't want some minivan looking flip-down screen from the car celing. I am a college student(which means I am POOR), and dishing out $$$'s for multiple screens wound not only be expensive, but a stupid endeavor in my current financial state.

·
Registered
738 Posts
nugg_dawg said:
I own a '02 MDX base model. I bought it base because I figured that I would be installing my own sound/enterainment system. The sound system I am proud to say is very nice. Not that the original Alpines weren't bad. But I ran into a snag when searching for the enterainment system. Since some of the climate controls are intergrated into the trip computer's screen, I can't install a DVD screen where the trip computer is. I went to my local aftermarket electronics shop(AudioConnection in Baltimore), and they told me the same thing.......if I installed a DVD screen where the trip computer screen is, I would lose some climate controls. This is NOT ACCEPTABLE. I don't want screens in the visor, I don't want screens behind the headrest, and I definately don't want some minivan looking flip-down screen from the car celing. I am a college student(which means I am POOR), and dishing out $$$'s for multiple screens wound not only be expensive, but a stupid endeavor in my current financial state.
I'm surpised you didn't get a deck with a motorized flip-out DVD screen and built-in DVD/CD player. It would have been more space and labor efficient to combine the audio and DVD functions into a single device. The DVD screen will sit lower than the trip computer screen, but they usually have screen angle ajustments to compensate. Tinting the front windows might be needed to reduce the glare problem resulting from an upward angle on the screen. An integrated DVD/Audio deck provides more convenient DVD disc entry and will allow you to add DSP and navigation later on, depending on the deck model.

This solution requires less intrusive modification to the stock display and control systems and would allow you to more easily swap out your aftermarket components if you either sell or total your car.

I know you already have a new audio deck in place, but sometimes its more feasible to suffer the loss of replacing a single new component, than to add several auxillary components. Perhaps your install place might be willing to re-package the current unit and sell it on consignment or as a demo, if it still looks brand new.

Yes, you will be surprised by the sticker price on these combined DVD player/screen decks. Likethe MDX, products that are well-thought out and function well are never inexpensive.

Just some ideas. Good luck.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Bruce, so what you are saying is.......leave the trip computer screen where it is and install a DVD screen on the bottom? I know that the center console is in 2 pieces, and installing a screen on the bottom would be a very good comprimise. Why didn't those bastards tell me this before I spent my hard earned $$$'s on a sound system? Still, if anyone knows how to get around this problem of installing a DVD screen where the trip screen is and intergreating the climate control at the same time......I would greatly appreciate it. Also, thanx for the idea Bruce.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I believe the best bang for the buck for an RES is to use a portable dvd player. I have the Panasonic LA95 which has a 9 inch screen with an outstanding picture and sound. You won't find a better one imho. Costs $699. I put 3 small pieces of velcro on it and the flip out armrest between the front seats that has the cupholders for the second row seat. It fits perfectly. Everyone in the rear seats can see it and hear it on its own, through the car stereo via casette adapter or on headphones. The location between the front seats is ideal. When I park I take it off and slip it in the pocket behind the front seat. Takes all of 10 seconds to set up or break down and no one knows it is in the car. It's so easy to set up the kids do it on their own. It will run video games but I only do that on long trips since it takes la couple minutes to put the N64 in the car and hook up. I also use it in the house, waiting at the doctor's office, swim meets, etc. Runs for 8 hours with optional battery, 2 easily as is; of course there is also an adapter for the lighter to use on long trips which fits perfectly in the socket in the center arm rest. Also has a Dolby 5.1 decoder and all of the features a top of the line home dvd player has.

·
Registered
738 Posts
nugg_dawg said:
Hey Bruce, so what you are saying is.......leave the trip computer screen where it is and install a DVD screen on the bottom? I know that the center console is in 2 pieces, and installing a screen on the bottom would be a very good comprimise. Why didn't those bastards tell me this before I spent my hard earned $$$'s on a sound system? Still, if anyone knows how to get around this problem of installing a DVD screen where the trip screen is and intergreating the climate control at the same time......I would greatly appreciate it. Also, thanx for the idea Bruce.
Because the screen comes out and then flips up, it will actually function in almost the same position as your trip computer screen, maybe only an inch or so lower, high enough so that even rear passengers can see, even kids with the legally required bolster seats (some states).

Perhaps the reason your installation shop did not mention the integrated flip-ups is because of the price, especially if you keep talking economics to them. They range from $2,100 to $2,400, like the Kenwood KVT-911DVD pictured below. Built-in DVD player, AM/FM reception, subscription satellite controls, and NAVI input (Navi unit $2,200), and CD changer controls, for when you have money someday.

Following posts picture less costly options to go into that double din dash opening. A DVD monitor/receiver on top ($1,000-1,300), and a DVD player below (JVC$300 - Alpine $1,000). Looks like the lowest you'll get away with is around $1,300, maybe less if you scope around the internet. But be careful w/ mixing and matching parts. Ensure compatability first. Unfortunetly, it will be considerably more expensive to keep both devices in the same brandname. Keep thinking and looking, just realize there is no way to implement a front-dash DVD on a non-navi, for only a few hundred (including labor), and still have it look good.

Like E.Fudd, I too didn't want to spend several thousand dollars so somebody can watch DVDs in the MDX, and only in the MDX. I went with a Toshiba 2200, the week after it was released, a 9-inch portable DVD player that sits on the open glove box for the wife when I'm driving, sits on top of the middle of the dash when we are at a camp site, top of motel TVs, on a miserable 15 hr ferry ride, and its been on both planes and trains.

Another possibility is to examine the signal going to the trip screen and see if you can have a compatible DVD screen installed in it place. AC/trip screen is not a touch screen which makes it easier. You would also have to install a switch to control whether you view the A/C-trip info, or the DVD player signal. Search on DVD, RGB, composite, and video

Attachments

·
Registered
738 Posts
Alpine reciever monitor $1,000

Attachments

·
Registered
738 Posts
JVC DVD/CD player only $300

Attachments

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's great Bruce. I was planning on spending about $1,500.......but to make it look right, I guess I need to invest alot more into it. Reality bites. Thanx for the useful info anyway.

·
Registered
608 Posts
"I am a college student(which means I am POOR), and dishing out $$$'s for multiple screens wound not only be expensive, but a stupid endeavor in my current financial state."

So, you buy a $40K vehicle and claim you are poor, and now you're looking to invest (spend) even more on an entertainment system you don't need. No sympathies here, bud.

A poor student is one who takes public transit, eats KD twice a day and holds down a minimum wage job while figuring out how to pay for that textbook he needs next semester.

·
Registered
207 Posts
hey....I'm a college student, 4 months removed!! (i.e.--I'm poor). If there's a will, there's a way, with the MDX.

'03 Touring w/Nav. MBP/Saddle

·
Registered
608 Posts
MannyE said:
KD?

What's that?
Kraft Dinner. A cheapo macaroni & cheese concoction from the makers of fine Canadian processed cheddar.....Don't you guys have that stuff south of the 49th?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So, you buy a $40K vehicle and claim you are poor, and now you're looking to invest (spend) even more on an entertainment system you don't need. No sympathies here, bud.

A poor student is one who takes public transit, eats KD twice a day and holds down a minimum wage job while figuring out how to pay for that textbook he needs next semester. [/B][/QUOTE]

Ok, so it's my fault if my parents were nice enough to let their son borrow some money to buy a nice car.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Kraft Mac and Cheese....ahhh the good times...

Make a double batch, then add diced Spam, browned in a skillet and two good dollops of Heinz Ketchup mix well and garnish with crumbled Doritos... mmmmmmm gooooood!

Where IS my old bong?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Get with the program old people!!! We kids in college are more concerned about our diet nowadays. We like to divulge in RAMEN NOODLES and finish it off with a high carbo drink called Natural Lite:7:

·
Registered
8,866 Posts
Who you callin old?!

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
nugg_dawg said:
I can't install a DVD screen where the trip computer is. I went to my local aftermarket electronics shop(AudioConnection in Baltimore), and they told me the same thing.......if I installed a DVD screen where the trip computer screen is, I would lose some climate controls. This is NOT ACCEPTABLE.
It's technically not impossible. Someone's done it before by moving the climate control screen down and putting in a custom screen. Here it is...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
If this is mini-vanish, I wouldn't mind it a bit...

Attachments

·
Registered
254 Posts
Question about XM Radio

Anyone have a recommendation about adding XM Radio to my 2001 non navi system. I want to do it the simplest way and avoid using a a cassette adapter. I am thinking about the Sony unit which docks. I would have it installed professionally. Isn't the fidelity better if you go with the unit which doesn't use the cassette adapter? Thought if I did the Sony I could get the home adapter as well. Also, anyone using XM radio now? Do you like it?

Thanks!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts