Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I fall into the trap by people here saying that they got used to touch button gear selectors. Well I just bought MDX 2017 2 weeks ago and I hate so much and the hate is growing more and more every day. It is SUPER uncomfortable, my right hand is hanging like dead, and the car feels like a 100% women's car, lost any sport feeling :(

Transmission is a mess too, changing speeds are much slower now when you need to speed up quickly and it changes gears way too many times.

Does anybody know if Acura has 2 weeks return lease satisfaction period or something like that? I feed that I made a horrible mistake. :(

p.s. this is my 3rd MDX and they Killed it this time :(

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Very unlikely, but all you can do is ask the dealer. If they've completed the finance paperwork with Acura, you're SOL. It will cost a boat load to get out at this point. Probably should just keep seeing if you get used to it and keep it locked in sport mode. I was quite pleased with the '17 I drove for awhile, but I did find it odd to not have a gear shift handy for my arm, so I get it. I wouldn't spend $5k for an armrest though which is probably the minimum this will cost you to get out now.

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
It's not a trap by us. Most of us have gotten used to the push button shifter. We have no incentive to get you into a vehicle you will not like. You will just become a nuisance on the boards if we do that to you. So please, take a breath and evaluate your situation for a second, and maybe, just maybe, try not to insult the people who try to help you.

Here are a few basic questions:
1) How much time have you had with the 17? If you're only in your first few days or weeks, you could just need more time to get used to it. In addition, since it is a learning transmission, it needs a bit of time to get used to your driving habits. However, if the behaviors continue, you may want to ask your dealer for a diagnosis and also try another 17 to compare.
2) Are you going into this vehicle with an open mind or are you absolutely against push button shifters? If the latter, I can only say that your selection of the vehicle then was possibly in error. We are creatures of habit, so it is hard to adjust when you are used to something that has been with you for decades. Things evolve though and sometimes it's for the better, sometimes it's for the worse. While many seem to have issues with push button shifters, a lot of people have gotten used to it as well. For example, I don't even look at my shifter and can change without issue. There is some muscle memory training involved here, as your hand will eventually become accustomed to the position of the shifter, thus allowing you to reach it without looking. Then your fingers will recognize the shape of the buttons, allowing you to push or pull buttons as you need without issue.
3) Did you ask your dealer about any of their lease terms? For example, some dealers will actually let you swap your lease with another vehicle as long as the payments are equal or more.
4) What mode are you driving in? Comfort? Normal? Sport? If Comfort, you may want to try Normal or Sport. A lot of folks seem to end up in Sport because it is much more responsive.
5) For your no hand rest issue, place a tall drink in your cup holder. A flat top one may suit you better. Voila. You have a hand rest. Or, as an alternative idea, drive with both hands. The more you lean on that center console, the looser it will get with time and then it will rattle (wonder how I know? My dealer visit to get this fixed is in two days).

In hospice, there is the phrase that you are either "hospice appropriate" or not. It all has to do with patient and family mindsets. We all know the patient is dying, but if the patient and family are still trying to fight for survival, they are really not ready for hospice (despite saying they are many times) since it is about accepting the prognosis and getting appropriate end of life pain and lifestyle management. But, it is key to remember that even the appropriate ones need time to adjust. The same applies to vehicle purchases. You need to understand what the vehicle is giving you, what it takes to get to a normal state, and what things will need to change for both you and the vehicle to make it appropriate.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Everyone is going to need to get use to missing gear selector sticks. This is our future. I test drove an F-Pace, missing, but you get a nice dial... I did like that over Acura's implementation and that style has also seemed to be catching on with Ford, check out the Fusion gear dial.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I don't have any problem with it, i really like the shift button. That's the reason why i picked the Tech Package. More elegant and clean design.
This is just my opinion. :)

I hope you like it, just give it more time to get use to it.

2016 MDX/Sh-AWD/Tech

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Everybody has their own habits and wants.

I have a 2014 MDX that has the shifter but I never rest my hand on it and actually found it odd when I saw some posts here from people who routinely rest their hand on the shifter. I've owned manual shift vehicles for many years and never rested my hand on those shifters either and never thought it was a good habit. I think I'd get used to the buttons and no shift handle fairly quickly although I'm fine with having the handle and given a tossup would prefer it.

The part about this 'feels like 100% women's car, lost any sport feeling' is an odd statement. What exactly do you mean by that? This is one of the best handling SUVs of its size available - at least my 2014 MDX Tech AWD is. It's actually quite fun to drive. It also has great acceleration. I understand the statement if you were going from a sports car to this SUV but you say it's your 3rd MDX and since this MDX out handles and out accelerates the previous gen MDXs I believe, your statement doesn't make that much sense.

I just drove mine on a 6,000 mile coast to coast round trip and found it very comfortable and I've done this trip several other times. Are you saying the seat is uncomfortable for you?

Everyone needs to really test drive, cross shop, compare, and think about what they're buying or leasing to make sure it's really what they want. What appeals or works for one person won't necessarily appeal or work for another and there are lots of other choices out there.

I sure wouldn't want to keep a vehicle I hated or was uncomfortable in.

Sorry, I don't know about getting out of a lease since I've never leased a vehicle and never will but I'm sure there must have been a lease contract you signed that you can go back and review to see if it indicates an 'out' clause. Short of that, simply check with the dealer and see what they can and are willing to do for you, if anything.

Maybe once you find the cost of getting out of this you might want to give this vehicle more of a chance for you to adapt to it unless you really do find it physically super uncomfortable but it's kind of odd you wouldn't have noticed that on the test drive so maybe you're referring to something else.

Good luck with it.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
I wonder If you ever got the chance to actually Test Drive the car? how did you sign a lease if you weren't 100% Into it???

I guess Acura will go back to the manual shifter eventually perhaps like a Surprise for 4th gen? since its pretty obvious its a gimmick.. BMW nor Mercedes or Lexus is using them so there is no way in hell neither of those brands will ship board just because Acura did it, Push button is going back not forward...

1964 Chrysler Push Button:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did test drive it and hated it, but I read some people here stating that they got used to in very quickly and plus I thought may be if I'll take an Advance package that will buy me with all the cool feature it comes with. I was wrong. :(

p.s. my guess is that Acura wanted to have electronic transmission and all cool features that it comes with and did not have time to design a normal electronic shifter like bmw or audi and just made it quick, stupid buttons :(

·
Registered
577 Posts
I would leave the water bottle in the door and get used to it as it is. It does take time to get use to, as any change in ergonomics does, but in the end it works well for me and many others. Most of the complainers either test drove the MDX or didn't give it a month or more to get used to - please be patient. (I drove a manual for the previous 40 years.)

As for the manliness of the car, I assure you that no one will think you effeminate because you have a push button transmission.

BTW if you want people to think you are a pro driver, or even if you just want to drive better, keep both hands on the wheel always when driving. Use the paddles if you like, but keep those hands at 10:00 and 2:00. Resting your hand on the gearshift while steering with one hand is amateurish. Go take a performance driving course and they will beat that habit out of you.

Enjoy your new car - in time you will love it.

Greg

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I really hope so, i'll report in 2-4 weeks.

in the mean, the purpose of that message was to warn those people that did not jump a gun on a new MDX yet for that reason.

·
Registered
577 Posts
in the mean, the purpose of that message was to warn those people that did not jump a gun on a new MDX yet for that reason.
Yes, fair comment. It is a dramatic change. The good news is that it is quite good ergonomically in that it is easy to operate without looking down - something a rotating knob is not as good at. Just different. Personally I liked having a manual but those days are gone for anything but a few performance cars. If I am going to have an automatic then I'll just let it do its thing - anyway the pushbuttons aren't used while driving down the road. I think the real issue is that 9 speeds are not well suited for manual shifting because there are too many gears too close together, but the automatic in sport mode solves much of that. Anyone buying a used MDX who likes manual shifting would be better off with the '14 and '15 6 speeds. If the 9 speed would automatically work out how many gears to drop when holding the paddle down (instead of clicking it) that would be an improvement, but that is a wish for the future.

Greg

·
Registered
16 Posts
Find the whole shifter issue interesting... for me... two weeks in... and I already don't miss it while driving... but do end up having to think when I reverse into my driveway... that's the one place I haven't gotten use to it yet. But... I have to give Acura credit for removing the stick and with Audi's Q7 infotainment system, just look at that touch pad in front of their "stick." Wow, now this is a car that could really use Acura's buttons or Jaguar/Land Rover's dial. Also, how many cars use to have the stick out of the side of the steering wheel. Oh yeah... Tesla... Just wait... other manufacturers are going to follow with removing the stick.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I came out of a TLX with the push buttoms so Im used to it. I also found Acuras layout P-R-D-etc much more intuitive then the knob some companies use. For a large SUV, Id say it feels very sporty compared to most similar vehicles.

As for comments...

The arm rest is adjustable, so you can slide it pretty far forward for comfort.

Keep it in Sport mode where it shifts quicker and hold gears longer. You can also press the D to enable manual shifting.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
I wish Acura copied the BMW Shifter... Is sooooo good for an electronic Shift, That Park Shortcut Button is amazing.

Reactions: bellorusha

·
Registered
837 Posts
It's not a trap by us. Most of us have gotten used to the push button shifter. We have no incentive to get you into a vehicle you will not like. You will just become a nuisance on the boards if we do that to you. So please, take a breath and evaluate your situation for a second, and maybe, just maybe, try not to insult the people who try to help you.

Here are a few basic questions:
1) How much time have you had with the 17? If you're only in your first few days or weeks, you could just need more time to get used to it. In addition, since it is a learning transmission, it needs a bit of time to get used to your driving habits. However, if the behaviors continue, you may want to ask your dealer for a diagnosis and also try another 17 to compare.
2) Are you going into this vehicle with an open mind or are you absolutely against push button shifters? If the latter, I can only say that your selection of the vehicle then was possibly in error. We are creatures of habit, so it is hard to adjust when you are used to something that has been with you for decades. Things evolve though and sometimes it's for the better, sometimes it's for the worse. While many seem to have issues with push button shifters, a lot of people have gotten used to it as well. For example, I don't even look at my shifter and can change without issue. There is some muscle memory training involved here, as your hand will eventually become accustomed to the position of the shifter, thus allowing you to reach it without looking. Then your fingers will recognize the shape of the buttons, allowing you to push or pull buttons as you need without issue.
3) Did you ask your dealer about any of their lease terms? For example, some dealers will actually let you swap your lease with another vehicle as long as the payments are equal or more.
4) What mode are you driving in? Comfort? Normal? Sport? If Comfort, you may want to try Normal or Sport. A lot of folks seem to end up in Sport because it is much more responsive.
5) For your no hand rest issue, place a tall drink in your cup holder. A flat top one may suit you better. Voila. You have a hand rest. Or, as an alternative idea, drive with both hands. The more you lean on that center console, the looser it will get with time and then it will rattle (wonder how I know? My dealer visit to get this fixed is in two days).

In hospice, there is the phrase that you are either "hospice appropriate" or not. It all has to do with patient and family mindsets. We all know the patient is dying, but if the patient and family are still trying to fight for survival, they are really not ready for hospice (despite saying they are many times) since it is about accepting the prognosis and getting appropriate end of life pain and lifestyle management. But, it is key to remember that even the appropriate ones need time to adjust. The same applies to vehicle purchases. You need to understand what the vehicle is giving you, what it takes to get to a normal state, and what things will need to change for both you and the vehicle to make it appropriate.
Are you a health care administrator?

·
Registered
837 Posts
This what I came up with today. very nice - $59.5K vehicle and i'm driving with a water bottle :) hilarious
Maybe try driving with both hands on the wheel for something new and completely different? Drive with your right hand and rest your left hand on the door?

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
The arm rest is adjustable, so you can slide it pretty far forward for comfort.
This is what I do - slide it all the way forward and rest my arm on it and either have my hand on the wheel (usually) or simply slide my arm a bit back with the rest extended and it's perfectly comfortable - no need whatsoever to rest the hand on a shifter. That's what works well for me at least. For the OP - make sure you try sliding the armrest all the way forward and try that - hopefully you already have. I've found the armrest to be great by being at just the right height and being able to be forward enough to support the arm - something many vehicles don't do due to the armrest being somewhat too far rearward.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah, that is what I did on the test drive and I thought it helped, but in real live, it's not comfortable at all (may be on the HWY), and it's blocking the access to the phone, that I keep on a "specifically designed" place with rubber lines. Thanks for sharing thought :)

1 - 20 of 44 Posts