Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

Is it just me?

3K views 19 replies 17 participants last post by  TheWorm 
#1 ·
Is it just me, or does the X drive like a huge Suburban-like SUV???

Just a month ago, I sold my 2002 Toyota Rav4, 4WD, a vehicle from a "Small SUV" segment. All around, I've heard people saying that it drives like a car. And since Rav4 was my first SUV ever, I kind of ignored that compliment, beacase to me - it too drove just like a low sitting car and I saw nothing so cool about it. It was just what I expected.

I sold the Rav, and this is my 5th day owning a 2003 MDX. Whereas everything about this vehicle is awesome and better than expected, I can't get over the overal driving imression - that it drives like a huge SUV, somewhat of a Suburban-type-a-deal. Is it just me? Is something wrong with my suspension? OR IS IT JUST TRUE THAT MDX SITTING 8IN ABOVE THE GROUND IS REALLY A QUITE LARGE SUV THAT CANNOT BE COMARED TO A CAR IN IT'S DRIVING MANNERS?

Please, give me your honest, and unbiased opinion. Especially those of you who own the X and A CAR. Thanks!

#2 ·
With all due respect, have you driven a Suburban?

I have and I can tell you that it does not drive as hard and as loud as a Suburban. The Suburban does not have a multi-link rear suspension that makes it really rock side to side when you one of the rear wheels hit a bump. Try making a sharp turn with a Suburban on a bumpy road and you could lose traction when you're going pretty fast.

The MDX has mulitlink and it is much smoother than the Suburban. It's noticeably quiet as well.

IMHO.

count

#4 ·
JMT2004

Sounds like your X is being serviced by Pohanka in Chantilly. They do like to give you gas guzzlers for loaner vehicles.

#5 ·
Well, I've had a couple of pickups, two Jeeps, a Range Rover (I know, I know). And now the X. It drives more like a nimble car then any of the vehicles I've previously owned, and more than everything I test drove. My father, who is an engineer for Chrysler (has been for 30 years) drove my X last year, and said "wow, that drives great. No wonder people are buying Japanese." :)

#6 ·
It may be just you.

Before I purchased my MDX I did a test drive in a 2002 Lincoln Navigator. I liked the interior and it was loaded with luxury features but on the test drive I did not like the way it handled. It felt like I was driving my P/U. Most large SUV's, Suburban included, are truck based, and in my opinion that Navigator rode and handled like a truck.

Did a test drive in an MDX and was very impressed with the handling. It's more car like with a little firmer suspension.

I have not driven a Suburban recently so maybe the new ones have improved but the older ones I have driven drove like a truck.

#7 ·
One cannot really compare the X to a RAV 4, the RAV 4 is a compact car with a lift kit, the MDX is a 7 passenger SUV. If you prefer the ride of the RAV 4, then the RX330 is a more suitable upgrade for you instead of the MDX.
In the 7 passenger and $40000 SUV class, I would say the MDX is one of the best handling SUV out there on the market now.

#8 ·
I wonder if it easn't as much...

the difference in "seat height" than anything else?

I know that the first time my sister drove my wifel's MDX she said it was "huge" (her regualr rides are either a VW New Beetle Turbo or Audi A4 Avant. Even the added lenght of the Avant is something that she can feel, for good on the interstate, and for worse when trying to find on street parking in Lincoln Park...

The actual "road manners" of cars os all over the map. That Avant drives very surefootedly, but the VW feels kind tossable for a FWD.

Impressions are hard to overcome.For instance, my father-in-law has a RWD Road Monster (er I mean Roadmaster) Estate and when you first sit in it your think "car" but with its solid rear axle and honking V8 it is LESS nimble than the MDX. If you take an on ramp or even RR crossing at the same speed in both the Roadmaster feel like Karl Malden & Michael Douglas must've as they chased bad guys in the "Streets of SF". but the MDX "keeps it together"...

#12 ·
So many people have thier own definition of what a "good ride" is so I guess is is a very subjective topic.

I personally love the MDX ride. I think it is stiffer than a lot of the competition and as a result gives the driver more control and feel. I also have an A4 with aftermarket suspension....so as you can tell I prefer a stiffer suspension to gain more handling.

My wife however, has commented a few times in the two days we've had ours that the MDX is "hard" on the road. This is because she was previously driving a GMC Jimmy with the "Touring" suspension, which meant it was very soft. Handling sufferred but you didn't feel all the bumps and such. But she also noticed that she can corner with much more control.

I've never driven a RAV4, but definately know the Suburban does not handle like the X. But it all comes down to what you like and what you were expecting.

#13 ·
We own a '99 Accord V6, an '01 X, and a '93 Explorer. For ride or handling, the Explorer is the loser here -- it's pretty nice, though, if you happen to need low range on your 4WD now and then. The Accord and the X have the same length and wheelbase, and ride and handle VERY similarly. They're also hotrods compared to other cars we've owned, with the possible exception of a '69 Buick Special 350 with HydraMatic and heavy-duty suspension. To us, the X is a taller, wider, roomier Accord!

The X also does better in snow than the Explorer, if that's meaningful to you.

#14 ·
Thanks for everyone's input. I did not take offense in anything that was said. :)

I LOVE the MDX, perhaps I was just used to the Rav's hard suspension (much harder than the X) or something is wrong with mine, or perhaps you just can't comapare X to any regular car.

Anyways, I am so grateful for the X. There were no competitors in it's class anyway (others were either 5-seaters or much more expensive). Our decision was soooo easy!!

#15 ·
yogi799 said:
Thanks for everyone's input. I did not take offense in anything that was said. :)

I LOVE the MDX, perhaps I was just used to the Rav's hard suspension (much harder than the X) or something is wrong with mine, or perhaps you just can't comapare X to any regular car.

Anyways, I am so grateful for the X. There were no competitors in it's class anyway (others were either 5-seaters or much more expensive). Our decision was soooo easy!!

The ride and handling are deceptive, and belie it's ability to do much more on rough terrain, while not a HD off the roader.

I have hit a dip or two unexpectedly at speed where things were literally suspended in air in the cargo area. The X maintained it's composure and the suspension never gave a hint of bottoming. Much tougher than it would seem on first impression. Very capable vehicle under most any condition you might encounter.

#16 ·
The only thing I'll say is the MDX FEELS wider than my wife's old minivan, even though the Chrysler had the same width.

The only thing the MDX has is a wider track. But I feel the MDX drives great, sometime I feel though that it's a little bloated.

#18 ·
Honest Opinion

yogi799 said:
Is it just me, or does the X drive like a huge Suburban-like SUV???

Just a month ago, I sold my 2002 Toyota Rav4, 4WD, a vehicle from a "Small SUV" segment.

Please, give me your honest, and unbiased opinion. Especially those of you who own the X and A CAR. Thanks!
We own a Toyota RAV4 like you do and we traded a Ford Expedition for the MDX and my sister owns a Suburban; so does the MDX drive like a Suburban?

This question is a joke right? ;) The MDX drives more like the RAV4 than an Expedition or Suburban and this is not opinion it is fact from someone who should know.

#20 ·
You might check your tire pressure, too. IMO, I've found if it's <30 the ride's a little sloppy and if it's >34 the ride is too "light" if that makes sense. 32 or 33 PSI is my fave pressure for our rig and driving style.

Insofar as the "carlike" handling, I think it just depends on your frame of reference and what you're coming out of. My wife came out of an Accord coupe and is right @ home in the X. She was worried about the size and potential handling but felt it handles "just like a car" (her unsolicited comments right when we got it 3+ yrs ago). We also had a Jeep GC and Lexus GS. The Jeep was real "slop" in comparison and IMO the X handled quite well for a car of this size/configuration/shape compared to the GS.

However, we now have a G35coupe and the X doesn't drive like a car compared to that ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.