Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just Last month I got my Silver metallic 2002 MDX w Nav. Enjoying every piece of it except my new insurance bill. I was paying $456 for my 1997 Civic at Minnesota. When I talked to my Farmers insurance agent about my MDX, he told me my MDX would cost me $657 for 6 months. Did anyone have similar experience or any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Sam,

Wow, it is expensive. I paid less than $600 for whole year on my 'X.

I guess your insurance company thinks you are rich and try to rip you off. :1:

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
JTM said:
Sam,

Wow, it is expensive. I paid less than $600 for whole year on my 'X.

I guess your insurance company thinks you are rich and try to rip you off. :1:
Location, location, location. In Silicon Valley I was paying $840 a year for a '96 Mercury Villager. That's full coverage, uninsured motorists, etc. etc.
Now I pay $1080 for a 2002 MDX.
I'm 'old' too. :D

Remember the price of average size homes here would buy office buildings in many other places. Plus choppers here get more for car parts than most any other state.

·
Registered
763 Posts
And you are complaining???????

I pay mere $3,000 a year!!!! (that's $1,500 per 6 months)... :mad:

Granted, I live in the Capital of the World, but still it is a little steep.

(btw, that is with all imaginable discounts including multi-policy :()

Do not forget that MDX is 2x or 3x more expensive than those other cars of yours. Besides, some insurance companies in some states raised rates on SUV for liability coverage - very high mortality/severe injuries rates in the OTHER cars....

I would recommend putting your old policy's declaration page (usually page 2 or 3 in your policy package) next to the new one and compare it line by line.

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Our MDX insurance was virtually the same ...

... as the '99 Expedition we traded in. I do not see much (if any) difference between the X and other cars we own or have own.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Coverage for my new MDX is 66% more than coverage for my '88 Honda Civic. Purchase price of the Civic was less than a quarter than that of the 'X, plus it's 14 years old!

Seems pretty reasonable to me...

·
Registered
87 Posts
I pay just shy of $1000 annually ($497 every 6 months). I thought that was high until I read some of the other postings here. Maybe the five star rating will work in our favor in the future ???

JPOW

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Paying $1050/yr in SF Bay Area. About a hundred bucks more than last year :( No claims, crashes or tickets, either. 500/500 coverage with 100/500 deductibles.

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
I remember getting insurance quotes on various SUV's. The MDX's had a premium similar to the RX300, and one or two other SUV's. Only the MB ML320 was cheaper, about 8% less IIRC.

You really can't compare the MDX's insurance premium with your Civic. After all, the MDX costs about twice as much as a Civic!

Try getting an on-line quote from Progressive Insurance if they sell in your state (www.progressive.com). You have to enter a ton of info but they give you back quotes on-line, without having to talk to any annoying person.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I was quoted about 500.00/year higher on a new MDX here in the Denver area. It went from 920/year to ~ 1400/year. That quote was for the same coverage as The Worm's and from a 94 Passat to the MDX. I guess I'm not complaining. :rolleyes:

The company is Safeco and we already have multi-car coverage with 'em.

JohnW

·
Registered
173 Posts
SamRaja

If you have low deductables you might want to raise them. That should lower your insurance a little.

You may also want to look for another insurance agent.

·
Registered
20 Posts
damn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i thought i had a low rate... i pay $181/mo ... but i am only 21 so im comparing to my friends how cars paying over $300 a month... oh and i live in delaware... cant wait till my 25th birthday...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Went from a Saturn SL2 for about $380 a six months to MDX for about $460 for six months.. Not too bad.

·
Registered
446 Posts
In Ohio

$497 a year. $300\100\100. $200 deductible on collision. $50 deductible on comprehension. Actually, my 02 Toyota Tundra is $14 more a year. Both are listed as “drive to work” vehicles. I think the side air bags, alarm etc make it a little cheaper.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts. Now I am not feeling bad anymore. But it certainly made someone to feel very happy and someone to feel very bad. Sorry for those, who are paying higher than me. As DaleB mentioned the insurane cost is based on Location. Once if get 3 feet snow in San Jose then you will see your insurance climbing high.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I will make you all feel good....my insurance on the MDX runs $1,600 per annum! Combine that with the insurance on my wife's 530i and our annual tab is in excess of $3,000! We both have clean driving records and have no claims. But, we are penalized for living in Massachusetts!:eek:

·
Registered
763 Posts
Maik said:
I will make you all feel good....my insurance on the MDX runs $1,600 per annum! Combine that with the insurance on my wife's 530i and our annual tab is in excess of $3,000! We both have clean driving records and have no claims. But, we are penalized for living in Massachusetts!:eek:
Dude, sorry to rain on you parade....
Read my previous post in this thread - my premium for MDX just south of you in New York are close to yours for 2 cars. :(:(:(

1 - 20 of 25 Posts