Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I'm about to change out both front struts on my wife's 2007 MDX Tech/ENT. The thing drives perfectly straight so it doesn't need an alignment as it stands. I was told by a tech that I needed to change both front struts. Do I need to have an alignment after putting in the new struts? I am replacing the bad ones with OEM assemblies. Please get back to me right away, I'm supposed to do this tomorrow. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
336 Posts
My GUESS is that you probably do not need an alignment as I don't think there are any adjustments in the struts. However, it probably would not hurt to at least get the car on an alignment rack and see what the readings are. I would expect to pay one price for checking the alignment, and then an additional amount if you actually need an adjustment.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Usually, it is a good idea to always align when you work on suspension, especially when it comes to potentially affecting camber bolts (not sure we have any CAMBER bolts, but there are bolts anyhow). BUT, mere replacement means you can usually mark the bolt head and the strut while remembering how many turns you need to secure the bolt to get it back to where it was.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for answering guys. I just finished watching "ericthecarguy" on YouTube. He says alignment is NOT necessary as we do not have cam bolts on this vehicle or on the Honda Pilot or Odyssey of the same year. At any event, I'll change out the struts and if it pulls to any side I'll have it checked out. Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
There is a teeny bit of slop with the pinch bolt holes. It can affect camber by maybe a tenth of a degree or two. But that also changes toe. Most likely, not enough to cause any uneven tire wear.

If it seems like the steering wheel is a little off center after, then maybe an alignment might be a good idea.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
When I purchased my MDX used and drove it home +5 hrs on the hwy, I was a little disappointed in the ride. It was a little windy and I just thought that was making it feel a little squirrely at 80 mph. I did an alignment and I felt a noticeable difference in ride quality afterwards. It felt more planted, less effort on my part to keep it between the lines at speeds, and tracked straighter on the hwy.

I did the lifetime alignment at Firestone for about $200 (have this on RDX and TSX also). Any suspension work, new tires, or once a year and the specs on all three vehicles always a little off everytime I take them in to have checked. Between potholes, road construction, poor road quality, tapping curbs when parking, and normal wear/tear will slowly move your alignment off. You won't notice it since you are slowly getting use to the degraded ride quality.

Some places don't charge or min charge you if the alignment is within specs.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If you want to be on the safe side yes, mostly anytime you do any work to the suspension it recommended to do alignment. If they charge you to much you can go somewhere else. Like someone else who recommended Firestone lifetime alignment is a good option if you plan on keeping the car for couple more years.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I have just replaced both front struts for 2011 Advance a little over a month ago [on Saturday]. I took it to get an alignment done late Monday. The front alignment were off about 1-3 degree, I think - I don't have the report in front of me right now.

Re-torque the 3 bolts in the engine compartment after driving a week or so. Mine was out of spec so I had to re-torque it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Those of your that say I need an alignment are absolutely correct!!!! I can't believe it. There are no cam bolts and the removal and install went silky smooth. When I drove it around yesterday, the car was pulling to the right slightly when I kept the steering wheel straight. When I compensated in order to keep the vehicle going straight, the steering wheel was turned slightly to the left. Alignment it is. Nzone, I will re-torque the 6 bolts this weekend.

·
Registered
805 Posts
I don't know if this is good practice or not (may be Supertech can tell us?) but whenever I need to replace suspension parts, I always put the bolts in snugly, then lower the car and torque the bolts to the specified torque with the wheels on firm ground. The last time I did this when replacing the front struts and control arms, I took the car in for alignment check afterward and it was still dead on.

As I said, this could be the wrong way to do it, but it seemed to work for me on two cars, a 2001 MDX and a 2004 Lexus RX330. Both times the cars still track straight afterwards, but I was anal about it so I took it my friend's shop. He checked the alignment and told me nothing needed to be done and sent me on my way without charge.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
TheDarkKnight, if you re-torque yourself, it is 43 lb-ft.
Make sure this torque value also applies to the 3G vehicles. I only say this because back in my Subaru days, the 3 tophat bolts in my gen had a torque value of 15 ft-lbs, while others were considerably different. Also, there are some Acuras that took somewhere in the 20 ft-lbs range rather than the 40s.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Make sure this torque value also applies to the 3G vehicles. I only say this because back in my Subaru days, the 3 tophat bolts in my gen had a torque value of 15 ft-lbs, while others were considerably different. Also, there are some Acuras that took somewhere in the 20 ft-lbs range rather than the 40s.
He would be in the wrong section of the forum if he has 3G [2014- ]. I didn't make clear though was that 43 lb-ft is for the Advance model [2007 - 2013]. I'm sure this apply to the regular strut/shock too because the nut is the same size and part number.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
He would be in the wrong section of the forum if he has 3G [2014- ]. I didn't make clear though was that 43 lb-ft is for the Advance model [2007 - 2013]. I'm sure this apply to the regular strut/shock too because the nut is the same size and part number.
Whoops! Forgot this is 2G forum! LOL! :29:

·
Registered
152 Posts
There are shops that specialize in allgnments, some as a loss leader, my last alignment was $52 US. After doing lower control arms and replacing ADS with OEM regular suspension both of which do not warrant an alignment the results were that it did need adjustments. One can chew up $52 worth of tires in no time.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts