Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am pushing 120k miles on the 2015 and have done a transmission fluid change every 18-22k miles. My plug is always cleanish.

Any benifit to doing a 3x3 or is that unnecessary overkill.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
I do ATF changes every year (ala 11-16k miles) and do a 3x3 every 3 years… The oil does not come out pretty after that. Remember that you are only doing part of the ATF full capacity on a single change overtime the oil will get dirtier and dirtier even if you do super fast oil changes like me.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
I've been doing 1X1 ATF every 25,000-30,000 miles on my 06 TSX (162,000 miles), 08 RDX (172,000 miles), and 11 MDX (137,000 miles). I did the 3X3 ATF around the 100,000 miles mark for all three.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When I swap out the calipers and change to winter tires I’ll do a 3x3 and document the color progress. I’ll add it to my YouTube channel.

To those that do it. What do you do. Drain / Fill then drive around a few miles - how many is enough to mix before the next Drain / Fill?

·
Registered
251 Posts
To those that do it. What do you do. Drain / Fill then drive around a few miles - how many is enough to mix before the next Drain / Fill?
There's no exact number, but I would try to at least get the transmission to cycle through as many of the gears as you can. I think the ability to manually shift helps.

When I did the 3x3 ATF change on my Hondas in the past, I never bothered driving around. I would just keep the vehicle on a set of jack stands, turn off the VSA, and made sure that the transmission went through all of the gears. I understand though that this method doesn't suit everyone.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts