Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking into buying a 2004 Acura MDX touring with 136k miles on it for 10k. It is in excellent condition and when I took it for a test drive it I really enjoyed the trip. I have talked with several people that own a MDX and they love their cars. Any input on this would be very helpful and much appreciated.

Here is a link to the car:
Used 2004 Acura MDX Touring W/NAV. For Sale | Marietta GA | Stock: 4H553108

Thanks you!

·
Registered
2004 MDX, 2022 MDX
4,641 Posts
I own a 2004 MDX Touring with almost the same number of miles, and I love mine too. If it's in truly excellent condition, $10K is a great price. Grab it before someone else does!

·
Registered
2004 MDX, 2022 MDX
4,641 Posts
Thanks for your post. Have you had any issues with your car? Major repairs or anything like that.
Nothing major. I've had to replace the starter motor - if it shrieks when starting from cold, it needs replacing or rebuilding - but that was only a few hundred bucks. And I've needed to replace some suspension parts (shocks, ball joints, bushings), which is pretty common for a car with this mileage. But that's been it. No repairs needed for the major systems (engine, transmission, A/C, nav, etc).

·
Registered
158 Posts
FYI, my 04 touring w/Nav do not have XM. an 05 has XM. Also, the nav DVD is different than an 05. Cannot back up the 04 (orange) NAV DVD but you can with an 05...........

·
Registered
115 Posts
My 04 MDX had to replace some valves because of misfiring. It seems that the valves were never adjusted until I owned it, too bad the damage was already done. Make sure that you can get a hold of the records to see if the valves were ever adjusted and you should be good to go. I've had zero issues since, I bought it at 88k and it now has 138k miles.

·
Registered
2004 MDX, 2022 MDX
4,641 Posts
My 04 MDX had to replace some valves because of misfiring. It seems that the valves were never adjusted until I owned it, too bad the damage was already done. Make sure that you can get a hold of the records to see if the valves were ever adjusted and you should be good to go. I've had zero issues since, I bought it at 88k and it now has 138k miles.
Acura recommends adjusting the valves after 105K miles (regardless of time). In your case the previous owner was not ignoring Acura's recommendation, but there may have been symptoms that he/she should have checked out but didn't.

It's always a plus if you can get a service history on the car. There is no centralized database of service for all Acura dealers; all they can pull up from Acura HQ is a history of whether it was serviced as part of any recall campaigns. But if you know the dealership where it was serviced, that dealership can give you a complete history of any work that was done there. Not only does this ensure that all the recommended scheduled maintenance was done, but it can tell you the mileage and date when it was done so you know exactly when it's due again. If you don't know this, you may be guessing or else you may want to do everything for which you're not sure it was ever done.

In my case, I bought my car from the dealership where the PO had it serviced, so I had a complete service history. I bought it with 113K on it, and it had already had the timing belt done, but no record of a valve adjustment, so I had this done soon after the purchase.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am looking into buying a 2004 Acura MDX touring with 136k miles on it for 10k. It is in excellent condition and when I took it for a test drive it I really enjoyed the trip. I have talked with several people that own a MDX and they love their cars. Any input on this would be very helpful and much appreciated.

Here is a link to the car:

Used 2004 Acura MDX Touring W/NAV. For Sale | Marietta GA | Stock: 4H553108

Thanks you!
I have an 04 with touring and nav and 187,000 miles. I purchased three years ago for $6,000, 1 previous owner who had records of all the work done on it since he bought it. I did timing belt, etc and tune up at 100,000 other then that I have had no issues with it mechanically. I love this car. It has significant get up and go, and is comfortable, and easy to drive. I got lucky in finding this one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts