Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I have a 2011 MDX Tech + Ent with just 66k miles on it. I know it has a lot of life left in it (or does it? Mine has oil consumption)

I am thinking of upgrading to a used 2015 Elite.

Reasons -
  • Proven 6 speed, no way I will buy a car with that 9 speed
  • Loads of creature comfort & safety features - BLIS/LKAS/CMBS/ACC/360 Camera/ Heated Steering/ Better BT/audio (debatable) / Significantly Better lighting with LEDs / motorized folding mirrors / more space / Fully keyless operation with remote start (I have remote start on current one too) / Better Rear entertainment
  • So far I have not spent any major money on the 2011, however, because of age quite a few thing will start needing replacement, some stuff i know for sure - Brakes pads, all season tires( less than 1 full season left), front Stabilizing links have play. Timing belt job based on age if not mileage, other unknowns.
Why it doesn't make sense -
  • Selling an otherwise perfectly working car makes little sense
  • All the potential work is still cheaper than post trade in expense of buying the 2015
  • the 2015 will most likely have higher mileage than my 2011 due to low running on my 2011 (Did I mention it has just 66k, but then again by that logic I might never need another car LoL)
  • Lose Navtool based on AA/CP support ( i will reach out to them to check if the same unit will work with new set of cables)
What are the known issues of 2015? My understanding is that 2014 was first year so chances of having some early model gremlins and Hopefully those were taken care of in the 2015.

Thanks

·
Registered
450 Posts
Makes no sense to me. First off the 9 speed is just fine. Yes there are a few quirks, but as long as its had the latest software updates it seems to work quite well.
Moving from a proven entity to an unknown used to me a really crazy. You know what you have and what it might need, so spend a couple thousand to repair whats needed and move on. Somewhere in the future you might want to get a brand new something. Heck since I bought my 2018 so much has changed. If I had waited 6 months I would not be driving an Acura.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have lived one year with that 9 speed(2015 TLX) and even after all the software updates and flashes, I could not live with it anymore, its just horrible.

The 2011 was also bought CPO in 2014. Also mine misses out on a lot of new safety features that i listed. Whether one needs them or not is always debatable.

I estimate I can upgrade for somewhere around 15k including trade in, to be confirmed though.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I’d keep the devil I know and just invest in the maintenance. When you pick up a used car you’ll have a very limited window as to what you’re driving away with.

rear ent hasn’t been used in a year. The kids have devices and have no need for it.

But it’s your money - sometimes you just want what you want and the jewel eyes are pretty sweet (but they will cost a great sum when they need to be replaced)

IMO - it doesn’t make sense.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
It rarely makes sense to buy a newer car. it’s almost always cheaper to fix. That hasn’t stopped me from buying 35 cars. If your finances can handle it, go for it.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Before I purchased my 19 MDX, I had a 06 TSX, 08 RDX, and 11 MDX with a little under 500,000 miles between them. All three were moving out of that "sweet spot" of being paid off a long time ago, only needing routine maint, and still ran/looked like new. In the last 2 years, I've had more age related repairs and unscheduled maint that costed me more than all the combined scheduled maint up to and including the 105K maint for all three vehicles.

I didn't feel comfortable with a vehicle with +150,000 miles as my main cross-country hauler that could have an unscheduled maint issue at any time. You might be only buying yourself 2-4 extra years (depending on mileage) of the "sweet spot" of low maint and high reliability of ownership if you go for a 15 MDX. Going for a +18 MDX tech, adv in 3.5L or hybrid would probably get you 6-8 years in the sweet spot. You almost get 80%-90% of the 15 Adv features in the +18 MDX tech.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I have a 2015 Tech SH-AWD. Bought it used with 86k, only fluid replacement, tires, brakes and front struts replacement(real biatch) plus TB/WP/tensioner etc service are all I have done so far. I need to get software update for grunting PS(electric), but I can live as is. Runs and drives very well, no complaint.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have a 2015 Tech SH-AWD. Bought it used with 86k, only fluid replacement, tires, brakes and front struts replacement(real biatch) plus TB/WP/tensioner etc service are all I have done so far. I need to get software update for grunting PS(electric), but I can live as is. Runs and drives very well, no complaint.
Thanks, what was wrong with struts? Also why TB/WP work so early at 86k?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Struts were shot when I bought the MDX. It passed usual bounce test, but showed some oil leak. When taken out, they were shot indeed. No aftermarket struts available anywhere, OE only.
TB/WP/tensioner etc replaced at 96k for preventive maintenance, no symptom though. NGK plugs were replaced as well.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I had my choice of the 2015MDX awd Advanced and 2016 MDX awd advanced but opted for the 2015 because of the 6 speed for two reasons. All the complaining about the 9speed worried me although I felt strongly that Acura would eventually figure it out but I tow a boat and the 9 speed really scared me. The transmission cooler for the 9 speed was not even available when I was making my decision. The transmission cooler for my 2015 was a relatively inexpensive and simple diy install where as the 9 speed cooler seems much more complicated and expensive. I have been very pleased with my decision and plan on keeping my 2015 for as long as possible.

Two features you mentioned are actually NOT available on the US version of the 2015.
360 camera and power folding outside mirrors.

·
Registered
12 Posts
If you are the first owner of your 2011 car and only have 66K miles and nothing major wrong- my vote would be to keep that car as I'm sure it's paid off now. You will never find a used car cared as well as your car. You need to look at maint costs in terms of pro-rated payments over time vs. a monthly car payment. For example say you need new brakes + rotors next year and it will cost $1K. That sucks, but they will last you say another 5 years (well pads wear out sooner than the rotors). If you spread out $1K over 60 months you see that is a lot less than a car payment. Also oil use- not ideal that you car is leaking or using oil under 100K miles, but if you use less than 1 quart of oil between changes, that is not bad at all don't worry about it.

·
Registered
124 Posts
It rarely makes sense to buy a newer car. it’s almost always cheaper to fix. That hasn’t stopped me from buying 35 cars. If your finances can handle it, go for it.
Wise but I can't help myself either I get uptight at 100K miles and feel the need to replace. Except for my commuter Accord I plan on driving that for a while and it has about 140K on it, but I have a good mechanic to fix any problems...

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If you are the first owner of your 2011 car and only have 66K miles and nothing major wrong- my vote would be to keep that car as I'm sure it's paid off now. You will never find a used car cared as well as your car. You need to look at maint costs in terms of pro-rated payments over time vs. a monthly car payment. For example say you need new brakes + rotors next year and it will cost $1K. That sucks, but they will last you say another 5 years (well pads wear out sooner than the rotors). If you spread out $1K over 60 months you see that is a lot less than a car payment. Also oil use- not ideal that you car is leaking or using oil under 100K miles, but if you use less than 1 quart of oil between changes, that is not bad at all don't worry about it.
I bought it used in 2014 with 24k miles on it. No issues in last 5 plus years other than regular maintenance. It does have oil consumption issue but I keep checking & topping off regularly. Yes its been paid ofd for a long time now. I know financially it makes no sense to change a good running car with such low mileage.

The fact that 2015's are all out of factory warranty now and the 9 speed on newer one is making me think of sticking with this one. Or just buy something else if the upgrade bug is too much to resist. Unfortunately there isn't much available in the same price range with such feature set. Oh well...

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wise but I can't help myself either I get uptight at 100K miles and feel the need to replace. Except for my commuter Accord I plan on driving that for a while and it has about 140K on it, but I have a good mechanic to fix any problems...
I don't have that reason either, lol. Its only done 67k miles :p

·
Registered
124 Posts
The fact that 2015's are all out of factory warranty now and the 9 speed on newer one is making me think of sticking with this one.
I hear what others are saying about the 9 speed but I don't have any problems with it. I wouldn't let that worry you, it's Acura's go to tranny now, so it should be fine. It shifts quick from 1 to 2 to 3, but I read that it's to make it feel sporty. They de-tuned the pilot with the same transmission to make it shift slower 1 to 2 to 3 bcs people though it was shifting to hard. I really don't care as long as it shifts well (lifetime of transmissions good and bad)... Oh and with the quicker shifts its more than a whole second faster than the pilot (lol!)...

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Good chance the 9AT will die with the current TLX and 3rd Gen MDX. The 10AT might be the weapon of choice for the next Gen MDX. Even the 18-20 RLX Tech models with 3.5L fwd N.A. engines skipped the 9AT and used the 10AT. Don't know if Acura will keep the 7DCT for the hybrid models for the next gen MDX.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I hear what others are saying about the 9 speed but I don't have any problems with it. I wouldn't let that worry you, it's Acura's go to tranny now, so it should be fine. It shifts quick from 1 to 2 to 3, but I read that it's to make it feel sporty. They de-tuned the pilot with the same transmission to make it shift slower 1 to 2 to 3 bcs people though it was shifting to hard. I really don't care as long as it shifts well (lifetime of transmissions good and bad)... Oh and with the quicker shifts its more than a whole second faster than the pilot (lol!)...
I am speaking with personal experience.

My 2015 TLX had jerking problem, that got fixed after 2 visits. Then I had other situation where i took a right turn(on red) and had to accelerate to get out the oncoming cars path, and the car just refused to accelerate, it took a good 5-6 seconds for it to downshift and respond, luckily the car behind me changed lanes. Was extremely scary. Happened another time when I wanted to overtake a car and it just wont accelerate as it normally does.

Also the jerking came back after a while, as per tech the solution was to keep resetting it once the symptoms re-appear. I got rid of that car in a year, this wasnt the only reason but played a major role.

I read a lot of threads on Jeep forums and they are full of ZF9 issues. So its actually not something which Acura has totally control over.

Also as @mrgold35 said, Acura realizes the issue and hence have abandoned it in all newer cars.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts