Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just recently, my iPhone 8 started to become intermittent connecting to the '06 MDX. Now, it seems to have stopped altogether. It's always connected just fine for nearly 13 years.

Has anyone had the BT fail in the MDX or am I likely dealing with an iOS upgrade issue.

I wonder if I were to pair the phone with the vehicle again if that would resolve the issue.

The phone works fine with BT speakers, etc.

·
Registered
911 Posts
If the phone is working with other BT devices then 2 possibilities I immediately think of, but there may be more. One is the BT module in the MDX and yes, they are known to go out. Not as common in the Gen1 and Gen2, but they do. The 2nd is a bug in a recent IOS update that a future update may correct.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, I did some reading online. Found the HFL module up under the map light console. I unplugged the HFL module and let it sit for a while to dissipate caps, if it has any, etc. Then, plugged it back in. Still doesn't work.

I called Acura service and they said the units fail. So, I went looking online and only found a couple new ones at ~$400. Ouch.

So, looking for any advice as to whether or not there is an alternate, refurbished, etc., that I could get for less. I'm not sure it's worth $400 to put an old tech hands free phone back into a 13 yr old vehicle.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Try re-pairing it if you haven't done so already.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
911 Posts
OK, I did some reading online. Found the HFL module up under the map light console. I unplugged the HFL module and let it sit for a while to dissipate caps, if it has any, etc. Then, plugged it back in. Still doesn't work.

I called Acura service and they said the units fail. So, I went looking online and only found a couple new ones at ~$400. Ouch.

So, looking for any advice as to whether or not there is an alternate, refurbished, etc., that I could get for less. I'm not sure it's worth $400 to put an old tech hands free phone back into a 13 yr old vehicle.
Check out http://usaspec.com for an aftermarket alternative. Plug in your vehicle info and it will give you options from basic music playback to full BT call capability. Ebay and Amazon are better purchase options though as the manufacturers website only sells at MSRP and you can find better purchasing options.

·
Registered
61 Posts

Wowsers. I did mine a few years back. I think I spent maybe $200. My battery kept dying and I kept replacing the battery. Replaced the HFL after reading of problems on this forum and never had a problem again.

You might have to do a little calling around and research. The part used for my 2005 MDX that I bought is discontinued now, I think. We used to have to order the entire panel and not just the HFL module (if I recall correctly). I'm not sure what you can use now...the updated part for 2007?

See here.

https://www.mdxers.org/forums/73-first-generation-mdx-2001-2006/70930-bluetooth-hfl-module.html

https://www.mdxers.org/forums/73-first-generation-mdx-2001-2006/47191-hfl-dead-05-mdx.html

·
Registered
597 Posts
Aftermarket $125 interface with factory radio. Link has pdf manual and application. 1st Gen X w/ and w/o Nav are listed. Has reviews too of course.

https://www.amazon.com/USA-BT45-HON3-Bluetooth-Select-2003-2014/dp/B00NMXMUW8/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?keywords=usa+spec+honda+iphone&qid=1560831837&s=gateway&sr=8-1

I recall others on the forum discussing this one. I have the same brand but just the iPod interface. Our interface works well, it was plug and play with a supplied cord that goes between the radio and harness. The cord for ours looked similar to the one for Hon3.

Hardest part but really not hard was removing the bezel around the radio carefully to not damage the vinyl dash. Use blue painters tape and get plastic prying tools. See you tube or search the forum for how-to.

https://www.harborfreight.com/trim-and-molding-tool-set-5-pc-64126.html

Other posters have replaced the head unit that included a phone interface.

·
Registered
278 Posts
You can find used hfl on eBay but don't spend too much as it might die as well but you might get lucky. Or if you're even more lucky, search Craigslist/offer up/marketplace for a parted out MDX in your area and ask if they'll sell you that part.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts