Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello from Montreal, Can,

As the spring coming here in Quebec, I have time to take care of my 2005 MDX. It has recently coolant leaks under the engine front side. But I cannot see where it come from since the space is very tight. The thing is the leak is only intermittent, and only when the engine is running. I search in the forum and there is not a thread yet. I was able to check and the radiator, hose are all good. Asked a friend and he said it could be the intake manifold gasket, another friend said it is not with my 160.000km.

Does any of you have the same problem to share, experience, advice are welcome and appreciated.

Thank you very much,
napo

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
if it is leaking only when the car is warmed up, that means the system leaks when its under pressure! As you drive the cooling system pressurizes to help with efficiency. If there is a crack in the expansion tank, radiator, etc, the pressure can push the coolant out from there.

Best thing to do is try to trace where the blue coolant is coming from. If you can't do that, pay a shop to pressure test the cooling system and find the leak.

Willing to bet its some sort of cracked part.

·
Registered
432 Posts
My radiator is starting to develop a leak where the plastic end tanks attach to the aluminum core.
It doesn't drip but i detect a faint coolant odor at the front and see a little steam on humid days when I park after a drive. Looks like I will be changing the radiator soon :/

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for your input. The leak happens only on some drives, not every time the car is running.
I tried to trace the leak from the under the engine but it seems coming from the upper side of the engine. It running on the engine body down.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
using a product like stop leak is terrible for the engine and can clog up the water jacket leaving you with an overheated car.

Can you take a picture of where the coolant is leaking from? Can't understand very well from your description.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Not trying to insult your intelligence, but are you certain that it is coolant? Some people report coolant leaks as the weather warms but it turns out to be condensate water from the a/c system dripping from the passenger side engine area.

Monitor the coolant level and see how quickly you are loosing coolant. If it is from the passenger side of the car it could be the water pump is seeping. There are also a few secondary loops for coolant other than the main radiator hoses. Coolant is routed through the throttle body, heater cores, the overflow tank, and i think the intake manifold as well.

A shop will put a UV dye in the coolant, pressurize the system and use a blacklight to locate the source of the leak. It is usually easier to bring it in if you can't locate the leak. Spend the money, save the frustration. You decide how much of each you can handle.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi,
I tried today take some pictures,

I search for another thread and someone seems had the same location of leak to mine.
http://www.mdxers.org/forums/73-first-generation-mdx-2001-2006/56890-seeping-coolant-crossover-pipe-below-egr-vavle.html

It is under the EGR valve (though I dont know what it stands for).

As you see from my pictures, the coolant seem not running out from something. It seem like popping in the red circle area.

What would you think has been broken on mine?

Thank you very much

Attachments

·
Registered
805 Posts
Check the throttle valve body. There are two small coolant lines going into and out of the throttle valve body. That's the only thing I can think of near the EGR valve.

Also, right in that area is the IAC valve (you may not have it since you have an 05) which also has coolant lines.

I would wait until the engine is cool and pressurize it to 13psi to look for leaks. The kit to pressurize the radiator is fairly inexpensive and most autopart stores have it.

Good luck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts