Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an issue I've never seen before. Yesterday, my wife called me and said her 2007 MDX would not start. So I drove to where she was thinking it was a dead battery but NOTHING was working on her MDX. When I say nothing, I mean absolutely nothing. No lights, unlocking the doors with the remote, display on console. Nothing.

I was about to hook my jumper cables to her battery but I first checked the voltage on her battery and it was reading 12.45 volts. More than enough. Odd. It's like the battery is not even hooked up to the car. The car isn't registering the battery. So, I sit back down in the car, pop the headlights and all of a sudden, they flip on. The dinging bell starts to sound b/c the keys were in the ignition. I turn the keys and everything is working. What the crap?

We drive home and about an hour goes by after she shuts off the car and I go out to see if it is still working. Nope. Same thing. Battery has a good charge but it's like it's not hooked up to the car. After opening and closing the door a few times, it starts working. I'm not sure if something is loose or if there is a relay that is slowly going bad but I'm stumped.

This morning at 7am it started fine. 3 hours later, it wont start.

So my question is what is between the battery connection and the electronics of the car that could be causing it to work and not work? Are there any fuses I can check?

I dont think it is an ignition issue b/c the lights or anything electronic does not work. Even unlocking the car with the remote doesn't work. Think of it like like this, with your vehicle OFF, if you remove your battery, nothing electronic will work. You hook up your battery and things start working again. Those symptoms are what I'm experiencing.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Did you check if the battery post right tight? I had the same issue before and it was my battery post cables we very loose, they looked fine when I was looking for a blown fuse.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you check if the battery post right tight? I had the same issue before and it was my battery post cables we very loose, they looked fine when I was looking for a blown fuse.
Well, it's always the simple things. Yes, the battery cable was loose but certainly didn't look loose. Apparently when i checked the battery with my meter and lifted the plastic cable/post protector, I moved the cable enough to make a connection. Either that or me opening and closing the door or slightly moving something else near the battery allowed the car to temporarily start.

THAT and battery post is too small for the larger positive battery lead cable so I had to wrap the post with a piece of metal hose clamp to help secure the lead. I need to get a battery post shim (pic attached) but for now, my rig-up will work.
Screen Shot 2017-04-21 at 11.21.09 AM.png
Thanks!

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
I always found that OPTIMA Batteries have really small leads, I always need to shim them in all my cars because the OEM Clamps would not tighten enough for them.

This was no different on my MDX, I had to shim the leads so the ground (Which was the only giving problems) could make a tight connection.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Sounds very similar to me. Could be my problem that i overtightened the positive terminal and the clamp got warped ever so slightly it would not stay on tight. I had car towed to my mechanic since it was a Saturday night when auto parts stores all closed. My mechanic cut off the weakly designed Honda/Acura terminal and clamped on a much better and more robust one that cannot be overtightened. He told me he sees this often on Hondas and Acuras

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
89 Posts
Well, it's always the simple things. Yes, the battery cable was loose but certainly didn't look loose. Apparently when i checked the battery with my meter and lifted the plastic cable/post protector, I moved the cable enough to make a connection. Either that or me opening and closing the door or slightly moving something else near the battery allowed the car to temporarily start.

THAT and battery post is too small for the larger positive battery lead cable so I had to wrap the post with a piece of metal hose clamp to help secure the lead. I need to get a battery post shim (pic attached) but for now, my rig-up will work.
View attachment 91986
Thanks!

No prob. I got those exact same post shims for my battery. :29:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts