Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving this morning I started hearing a pulsing, rubbing noise coming from drivers side front end. Then driving next to a, nj divider, I could hear a slight clicking noise,(but not when accelerating, or breaking). Iknow its nearly time for brakes, so took to dealer, and they said theres still 4mm left on breaks, and it might be drivers side cv axle. My 199.95 coupon for front breaks went, to a $1700 estimate????
The service manager said the boot was torn , I saw no indication of that and no fluid leaks? The front breaks and rotors =$523(they said I didn't need yet), and the cv axle replacement = $453(they billed me twice for)*mistake* plus $111 tax = $1700.... Obviously need a second opion, so Acura gurus please chime in... This is whats unusal, after their inspection/trouble shooting, I couldn't hear the noise or feel the rubbing anymore???:confused:

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
If you are indeed in need of an axle replacement take it to a Pep Boys or something... Axles are super easy to change if you are mechanically inclined its a 2 hour tops job. But do get OEM Axles they are simply the best option.

Because of the nature of the noise I cannot give an opinion... If its gone then its gone and be happy? otherwise it cannot be an axle since the axle wont magically fix itself, Perhaps something was rubbing and in the check up they fixed it?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Look at the CV boot for a tear. It won't leak per se, as it's filled with grease, not oil, but letting moisture in ruins the CV joint and will cause a clicking, usually noticeable in a distinct turn, like into or out of a parking lot.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No noise, it seems the dust or heat shield, inside the rotor got bent a touch somehow.and was just touching the rotor.( rotors are the grooved ones and are abit warped, hense the pulsing sound)
STS took a good look at it, and found no evidence of torn boots(Sdealer Lied), no loose frontend components, did say there was minor seapage on inner boots, but covered by road dust, and was normal for a car with 125k. When I asked what to do they said its normal wear and tear, and if I heard any disconcerning noised not to hesitate to bring it in.
My $1700 estimate from Honda just went to "$0". So today is a good day. : )
Thanks again for all the input and help.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Humming, especially if an oscillating sound between 45 or 50 and 70 or so makes me think wheel bearing (could be either - even if sound is only one side - see - http://www.mdxers.org/forums/74-second-generation-mdx-2007-2013/119761-odd-noise-45mph-humming-buzz.html#post1162745)

Clicking makes me think CV joint. My issues (07 - lots of miles) was the wheel bearings, not a bad fix at all. If this is your issue and you will need brakes done anytime reasonably soon, I would recommend changing the discs and pads while you're changing wheel bearing assemblies - you have to remove them anyway. Good luck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts