Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 MDX with a lot of play in the front passenger intermediate shaft bearing. Is it possible to replace the bearing without removing the exhaust?

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Yeah - it's easy peasy. Just unbolt the carrier and pull it out like a "regular" CV axle. I just realized that doesn't exactly answer your question, but if it was my car, I'd just get a Cardone rebuilt axle (which includes the intermediate shaft bearing), and call it a day. Can't imagine it would be worth putting the time and effort into replacing JUST the bearing, as you're still left with a nearly worn-out CV axle when you're done.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah - it's easy peasy. Just unbolt the carrier and pull it out like a "regular" CV axle. I just realized that doesn't exactly answer your question, but if it was my car, I'd just get a Cardone rebuilt axle (which includes the intermediate shaft bearing), and call it a day. Can't imagine it would be worth putting the time and effort into replacing JUST the bearing, as you're still left with a nearly worn-out CV axle when you're done.
I just replaced the front two CV axels, but did not do the intermediate haft.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Oops... sorry. My MDX was three cars ago, and I was conflating its right front axle with that of one of my subsequent cars (I'm thinking that a couple had that intermediate bearing in the right CV axle).

But if the MDX only has a "normal" right front axle, what part is it that you're trying to find/fix? Are you talking about the prop shaft bearing (not sure how it would be ID'd as a passenger side front...)?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The front passenger outer CV axle connects to the intermediate shaft, which is connected to the trans. The intermediate shaft bearing is shot, which is part # 21. The entire assembly is part #16 (OEM Part 44500-S3V-A10

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts