Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, last night a strange thing happened to my 2022 MDX, for the first time. I was driving by a little jerky road for few moments and then I heard a beeping sound and all the interior lights were flashing for few moments and went off and after driving some distance, I found the interior lights started to flash again and beeping sound started and stayed for few moments. It happened several times in that drive. And then did not happen anymore.

Now, I am wondering, what actually happened? Does this mean anything went wrong? Does anyone know about this symptom?

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
I wonder if the tailgate or a door are not latching properly and the rough road was rattling it enough that the sensor thought it wasn't latched - which triggered the beeping and the lights? I'd have the dealer check this out since it's under warranty. They likely can make an adjustment and solve it if this is what's happening.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wonder if the tailgate or a door are not latching properly and the rough road was rattling it enough that the sensor thought it wasn't latched - which triggered the beeping and the lights? I'd have the dealer check this out since it's under warranty. They likely can make an adjustment and solve it if this is what's happening.
Thanks a lot. That really makes sense to me now. Because, I had trouble opening the trunk before the drive, so I pulled up the trunk using my hand. Maybe that caused the issue. I was really afraid at that time as I was going thru a very dark distant village road :) I just called the Acura Service and they said, if that happens again, I should stop the car and call Roadside assistance to get it towed to the dealer.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Because, I had trouble opening the trunk before the drive, so I pulled up the trunk using my hand. Maybe that caused the issue.
I think almost certainly it was related to the tailgate - but, the tailgate shouldn't routinely behave like this but if there happened to be something stuck there, like a loose towel/blanket or something, then the normal behavior is to get the beeping warning that the tailgate isn't closed - I'd also expect an indicator on the dash for it unless they changed that for the 4th gen.

I understand why the dealer said to stop and call a tow truck out of liability and a maximum of safety in case a door isn't really closed properly but if it was me I'd just physically make sure all the doors and tailgate were secure and then drive on with it but take it to the dealer very soon to have it checked.

If you don't think anything was stuck in the mechanism to cause this then I suggest you take it to them at your convenience to have them check it out. This is a lot better than having to do a tow at an inconvenient time and place. Even if it's currently latching okay they can check the tolerances of the mechanism to see if there an adjustment they need to tweak to make it perfect.

On my 2014, a very early build, the tailgate didn't auto-latch closed properly at first and I had to close it by hand. I needed the vehicle for some trips I had planned so I drove it that way for the first month or two but then took it in and Acura adjusted the tailgate/latch so it worked properly. I haven't had an issue with it in the ensuing 8 years I've owned it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think almost certainly it was related to the tailgate - but, the tailgate shouldn't routinely behave like this but if there happened to be something stuck there, like a loose towel/blanket or something, then the normal behavior is to get the beeping warning that the tailgate isn't closed - I'd also expect an indicator on the dash for it unless they changed that for the 4th gen.

I understand why the dealer said to stop and call a tow truck out of liability and a maximum of safety in case a door isn't really closed properly but if it was me I'd just physically make sure all the doors and tailgate were secure and then drive on with it but take it to the dealer very soon to have it checked.

If you don't think anything was stuck in the mechanism to cause this then I suggest you take it to them at your convenience to have them check it out. This is a lot better than having to do a tow at an inconvenient time and place. Even if it's currently latching okay they can check the tolerances of the mechanism to see if there an adjustment they need to tweak to make it perfect.

On my 2014, a very early build, the tailgate didn't auto-latch closed properly at first and I had to close it by hand. I needed the vehicle for some trips I had planned so I drove it that way for the first month or two but then took it in and Acura adjusted the tailgate/latch so it worked properly. I haven't had an issue with it in the ensuing 8 years I've owned it.
Thank you for the good advice. Yes, I have just booked an appointment to check up. I hope, they will find something so that I won't have to pay for the diagnostic fee.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts