Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

41 - 60 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
While we're talking about lighting, does anyone know if the 17 has led backup lights or are they incandescent? I need more backup light brightness to aid the backup camera in very dark environments. I don't want an add-on light, just maybe to get brighter backup bulbs. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Reverse lights are incandescent. See my list in post #5. I'm working on the list of links to the bulbs I used, but too busy this weekend. Next week.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Sorry - gone for weekend and laptop self-destructed. All better now. I really can't guess what your impression will be of various white temperatures. Currently I like the 3000°K-3500°K range but you will probably be different. Often LEDs will be offered in cool white (higher temp), warm white (lower temp) and sometimes "neutral" white (around 4000°K-5000°K). If you find warm white too yellow then neutral white would be the way to go.

·
Registered
32 Posts
They are available for 2019 models. They just aren’t listed in the description. I bought 2 different sets for my 2019 A-Spec from Amazon and they work perfectly.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Sorry - gone for weekend and laptop self-destructed. All better now. I really can't guess what your impression will be of various white temperatures. Currently I like the 3000°K-3500°K range but you will probably be different. Often LEDs will be offered in cool white (higher temp), warm white (lower temp) and sometimes "neutral" white (around 4000°K-5000°K). If you find warm white too yellow then neutral white would be the way to go.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07P5NDWR3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
These are what I bought and just put in this moring. They look a ton brighter than the stock units. Can't wait to try them out tonight. There are FOUR bulbs for that price (less than $20).

·
Registered
456 Posts
Considering that my rear LED lamps are rated at 500 lumens, and yours are 1260 lumens, I think they will be adequate :) You may have to adjust the camera gain for all of that extra light. Most if not all of the extra light is coming out of the side-mounted LEDs, and so is not aimed directly aft and out the lens; it will be reflected and exit as a more diffuse light, which may be an advantage - it would be interesting to compare if we were in the same city.

I just put together my list of links for the LED bulbs that I am using. Combined with the earlier list of specifications it should be everything you need to know.

Attachments

·
Registered
215 Posts
Considering that my rear LED lamps are rated at 500 lumens, and yours are 1260 lumens, I think they will be adequate :) You may have to adjust the camera gain for all of that extra light. Most if not all of the extra light is coming out of the side-mounted LEDs, and so is not aimed directly aft and out the lens; it will be reflected and exit as a more diffuse light, which may be an advantage - it would be interesting to compare if we were in the same city.

I just put together my list of links for the LED bulbs that I am using. Combined with the earlier list of specifications it should be everything you need to know.
The lamps are a very noticeable improvement over OEM, and the lights' color temperature is quite acceptable to me. The dispersion of the light also seems improved. How is the gain adjusted? I turned the big knob while in reverse and it did not seem to do anything to the image. I'm in Bethlehem Township, PA. About 45 minutes northwest of Philadelphia. Area is called the "Lehigh Valley". Former home of Bethlehem Steel and current home of Mack Trucks. Mario Andretti lives in neighboring Nazareth.

·
Registered
456 Posts
That is odd that the large knob did not change the gain - mine has a very noticeable effect. Perhaps they changed in later years to automatic gain. Best to read the manual to confirm. BTW I found it best to download the owner's manual from the Acura owners site as they did revise the manual (twice) for the 2016 model, and likely others.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Pdx, would you recommend the rear brake lights with built in resistor or best to purchase bulbs and resistors separate via the links you posted? If okay to purchase with built-in resistors, can you make a recommendation on which to get? Tons of options on amazon but you know a lot about electrical, so I will be taking your advice.

·
Registered
215 Posts
That is odd that the large knob did not change the gain - mine has a very noticeable effect. Perhaps they changed in later years to automatic gain. Best to read the manual to confirm. BTW I found it best to download the owner's manual from the Acura owners site as they did revise the manual (twice) for the 2016 model, and likely others.
I downloaded the manual and there is no mention about the gain adjustment for the camera. They must have changed to an automatic iris and I can detect some auto adjusting on the image at times.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Pdx, would you recommend the rear brake lights with built in resistor or best to purchase bulbs and resistors separate via the links you posted? If okay to purchase with built-in resistors, can you make a recommendation on which to get? Tons of options on amazon but you know a lot about electrical, so I will be taking your advice.
While I have no experience with this yet, I do know the resistors generate a lot of heat by providing the resistance that would normally be present with an incandescent bulb (which also would generate heat due to the resistance and energy loss). Having the resistor integrated into the bulb would mean all that heat is now being funneled into your plastic light housing, and too much heat could lead to issues with things melting and becoming damaged.

Purely because of the heat the resistor will generate from my perspective it's safer to have the resistor as a separate device that can be fastened to metal so the heat generated and put off by the resistor doesn't cause any collateral damage. Perhaps others care to weigh in as well?

·
Registered
456 Posts
bobby: exactly right. The resistors themselves are very small; the size of the aluminum heat sinks is determined by the requirement to conduct heat and transfer it to the air. A 25W heat sink is about half the size of a 50W because it is dealing with half the heat transfer. It is not going to get a lot smaller and still do the job.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
I could still use the large knob to adjust the brightness on my '19 MDX. But unlike my '09 TL, it doesn't have brightness indicator bar to show the adjustment.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
I could still use the large knob to adjust the brightness on my '19 MDX. But unlike my '09 TL, it doesn't have brightness indicator bar to show the adjustment.
Correct. I saw this in my 19 MDX Hybrid as well. The large knob adjusts the brightness of the reverse camera screen.

·
Registered
32 Posts
While I have no experience with this yet, I do know the resistors generate a lot of heat by providing the resistance that would normally be present with an incandescent bulb (which also would generate heat due to the resistance and energy loss). Having the resistor integrated into the bulb would mean all that heat is now being funneled into your plastic light housing, and too much heat could lead to issues with things melting and becoming damaged.

Purely because of the heat the resistor will generate from my perspective it's safer to have the resistor as a separate device that can be fastened to metal so the heat generated and put off by the resistor doesn't cause any collateral damage. Perhaps others care to weigh in as well?
I went ahead and ordered the rear lights and resistors as listed by PDX (thank you for taking time to post those). Have you attempted the install yet? I think you are further along in the process than me how everything turned out

41 - 60 of 77 Posts