Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

21 - 40 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
They look fine. The specs look the same as I am using. Which post did you find different specs - I'd like to check it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thank you for verifying the lights! I will post a pic once installed. The difference I saw from your linked post on 9/20 was the festoon at 31 versus 30 on the chart and 360 degree versus 180. Having no idea on the technical side of lighting, I wanted to mirror the specs you had referenced

·
Registered
536 Posts
The 1mm difference in length should not be an issue. The vendors tend to lump 30mm and 31mm together, for fewer products to cover the market.

If you have looked, the footwell lights are facing down into the footwell; it would be possible to use a 360° bulb - the original incandescent bulb is - but that is wasteful, and limits the heat sink options.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Received the lights today and they work great. The difference is crazy! It might be hard to tell the difference between driver and passenger from the pics because the headlights were on when I opened the drivers door.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Next phase in the led replacement project will be these generic dome lights
Errrr.... not really. Look back at earlier in the thread where we discussed this. Several photos will make clear that the job is not a bulb change, or anything close.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Ugh.. I was hoping Robert’s true goal there was replacement of the little ambient lights. Looking at the pics and re-reading the thread, I now see that the dome lights were part of the replacement plan. Well that is a bummer...those generic, warmer white lights are going to overshadow the other led replacements!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
Ugh.. I was hoping Robert’s true goal there was replacement of the little ambient lights. Looking at the pics and re-reading the thread, I now see that the dome lights were part of the replacement plan. Well that is a bummer...those generic, warmer white lights are going to overshadow the other led replacements!
Hi,
Unfortunately my quest ended once I opened the light cover :)
Whole board needs to be replaced there is no socket.
I also would love to upgrade all 3 dome lights...
BTW: Check PDX bulb chart to find the correct LED bulb for rear hatch lights. I bought what someone else posted here and it's not a direct fit. My solution was to tie a rubber band and push the whole thing in. Now it's very nice bright light for the rear deck. I think you will be better of finding LED bulb that plugs in for those 2 hatch lights.

Thanks to your amazon link, I also brought LED lights to replace front foot lights.

·
Registered
32 Posts
No problem. I referenced the chart and bought some bulbs that fit the cargo area. A little temperamental when installing though. If I push them in completely, the don’t want to stay lit. But with them still secured, they are working and are much brighter of course.

·
Registered
536 Posts
My list was intended to help find the appropriate bulbs, but without specific links. That was probably a mistake - I thought the links would get stale but 4 years on they are still good. There has been relatively little improvement in products since then. I think anyone interested has already found what they need, but if there is interest I could put the links together.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
PDX, yes links would be good as not too many changes likely to happen for 3rd generation MDX bulbs.
I did purchase lights listed by Cojulcas... I got the bulb in the passenger side footwell without much problem.
However driver side was hard to reach and in the process not sure what I did (I still had the old bulb in) but blew the fuse.
No interior lights, opps!
Got the new replacement fuse and all is well and I changed the driver side bulb too.
Adding picture of fuse box...
NOTE the diagram is inverted, see the yellow line that shows fuse #30 for interior lights.
Also adding two pictures of rear hatch light, nice and bright...

PS: I am getting used to dome lights, they have sensors and it seems bright enough at night...

Picture at night without any other lighting...

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
I blew the same fuse when I replaced my foot well lights to LEDs. It only happened when I did the driver's side. No issue with the fuse when I replaced the passenger's side first?

·
Registered
536 Posts
It is definitely worth carrying a box of spare fuses to cover all sizes. When the 3rd gen came out these tiny fuses were not widely available, although that has improved somewhat. It is really impressive how many fuses fit in each of the many fuse boxes. I hope I don't have to chase too many blown fuses...

I'll put together the links for the lamps.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I blew the same fuse when I replaced my foot well lights to LEDs. It only happened when I did the driver's side. No issue with the fuse when I replaced the passenger's side first?
WOW! that can't be coincidence, Since light fixture was hard to pull out I was struggling so finally I gave up and try to push it back in that's what it blew the fuse. It's a metal frame where the light fixture is inserted, somehow it sorted it there. PDX guy at auto store gave me both sizes and glad I took smaller ones. BTW: You need needle nose plier to pull these out. There is nothing to grab :)

·
Registered
272 Posts
The ones I want to replace now are the door courtesy lights at the bottom of the door. I have a 17. Does the lens itself come out or must I remove the whole panel? I tried removing the lens, but stopped, for fear of breakage, when it resisted removal. BTW, just to add my two-bits - I replaced the hatch lights with flat, one-sided led's and the improvement was awesome, and I too wanted it to look original instead of tacked on.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
The ones I want to replace now are the door courtesy lights at the bottom of the door. I have a 17. Does the lens itself come out or must I remove the whole panel? I tried removing the lens, but stopped, for fear of breakage, when it resisted removal. BTW, just to add my two-bits - I replaced the hatch lights with flat, one-sided led's and the improvement was awesome, and I too wanted it to look original instead of tacked on.
Lorenzo,

I assume you are talking about the lights that few people have change to "Acura" logo projector light? If so, it is easy, insert the small flat head screw driver on the "front" side of door to loose the clip. Took me good 5 minutes to figure out which side to loose the clip on first one (afraid to break it), but once done with first one, rest were a minutes each.

·
Registered
294 Posts
It is definitely worth carrying a box of spare fuses to cover all sizes. When the 3rd gen came out these tiny fuses were not widely available, although that has improved somewhat. It is really impressive how many fuses fit in each of the many fuse boxes. I hope I don't have to chase too many blown fuses...

I'll put together the links for the lamps.
The fuse box usually has spare fuses, did you check that?

·
Registered
294 Posts
Lorenzo,

I assume you are talking about the lights that few people have change to "Acura" logo projector light? If so, it is easy, insert the small flat head screw driver on the "front" side of door to loose the clip. Took me good 5 minutes to figure out which side to loose the clip on first one (afraid to break it), but once done with first one, rest were a minutes each.

View attachment 113645

I have got these on my Gen 2 MDX as well, looks pretty nice.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have got these on my Gen 2 MDX as well, looks pretty nice.
Here is a pic of my lights under each of the doors. Replaced the dull halogen bulbs with projectors. Bought two different sets off Amazon— both look the same. Didn’t have issues as long as you adjust the prongs to slide into the plug correctly

21 - 40 of 77 Posts