Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, just got the 15 MDX few weeks ago and found out about this automatic windows roll down function from the remote. I had the similar system on my 05 Accord. So, i was testing it whether I can roll them back up by remote and didn't work so I just opened the driver door and rolled up all the windows and left. What I didn't know was it also opens the sun roof. Left the car whole day in the rain and interior got wet.

It wasn't so bad considering it rained all day. Front 2 seats got wet a small puddle on the carpet in the back set. Most of the water came from the front 2 seats, i believe. And center arm rest and storage got soaked. I don't have a garage or a drive way so drying was hard for me. I soaked up as much water as I can with towels and microfiber cloths. But front 2 seats are still wet.

I threw in 3 bags of Damprid inside the car and looks like it is absorbing moisture. The seats looks fine for what they went thru. Is there anything I can do to prevent further damage like mold and smell?

·
Registered
96 Posts
You're going to want to pull the door sills and get beneath the carpet. The only way to get them really dried out is to get airflow under the carpets.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sit a dehumidifier in the cargo area and let it run?

Shop vac (wet/dry vacuum) the carpets?

You can take it to a detailing shop and for a price they'll clean it up and dry it out for you.
I don't have access to a garage so dehumidifier is out of the question for me. That's why I tried to do the next best thing and put damprid bags in the car. I don't think there enough water left on the carpet to wet vacuum it. I worry about the leather tho.

You're going to want to pull the door sills and get beneath the carpet. The only way to get them really dried out is to get airflow under the carpets.
The carpet is dry to the touch. I took out the weather rugs out and soaked as much as I could with towels. So far it looks like it never happened. I worry about the leather and potential growth of mold.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Dry to the touch doesn't mean that the carpet backing/padding is dry and that's where the nastiness will reside.

·
Registered
2015 MDX
191 Posts
As others said, I would be more concerned about the carpet padding than the seats. I would try to pop off the inner door sills to see if you can feel for moisture under the carpet.

If it's wet under the carpet, you may need to have a garage or body shop dry it out. If that's expensive you could file an insurance claim to take care of it.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Another angle here..
Although I do not disagree with any of the above recommendations, but I suspect our MDX [like MANY other véhicule of various makes and models] where carpets are built to withstand serious abuse.

Meaning. for those of us who lives in harsh winter conditions... my carpets take a serious beating with 3 to 4 months of salt infused
snow, slush, ice and awful nasty s%^&t that just sit there until it gets warm enough to try and clean said carpets on a yearly basis.
No matter how expensive your winter mats are.... LOL
Admittedly my OEM winter mats were expensive and they work fairly well.. however nothing is 100%....
Pick a nice sunny day with a good breeze...
Getting that salt crust out is not easy.. and then cleaning the carpets with the hose and soap and then shop vac vigorously and leave all doors open for the rest of the day, and it drys quite nicely..

experience of an old guy.. ;)
J.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts