Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
We recently had our alternator replaced and since replacement the car lights have intermittent flickering, typically while idling.
This is the second replacement alternator, after the first we had issues with the navigation turning on/off, the car switching itself into neutral while we were at stop lights, intermittent whining noise and getting the typical VSA, Check charging system lights intermittently. All of those resolved with the most recent replacement alternator but now we have this annoying flicker. The car starts and drives perfectly.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
There were several people here who replaced their alternator with rebuilt ones "by reliable shop" several times and still having issues. After they purchased the OEM Denso remanufactured alternator from Rockauto and installed it, the issues went away.

You also want to check the ground wires and if the positive cable has good connection as well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There were several people here who replaced their alternator with rebuilt ones "by reliable shop" several times and still having issues. After they purchased the OEM Denso remanufactured alternator from Rockauto and installed it, the issues went away.

You also want to check the ground wires and if the positive cable has good connection as well.
The first alternator was done right before I bought the car but the mechanic who replaced it this last time said it was not OEM and that was the issue. My understanding is that he did replace it with an OEM one but I could be wrong. I will need to check it to be sure.

Also could the issues with the first replacement have damaged my battery and that cause these issues? I drove around for several years with those weird intermittent issues. My battery is at least 3-4yrs old at this point. Second alternator was replaced a year ago and warranty is passed.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
it could be 1 of 3-4 things as I'm encountering a very similar issue.

1. Battery
2. Negative Cable
3. Positive Cable
4. Alternator

I replaced my neg. cable with one from autozone with no change. Swapped batteries and had both checked with 93%+ health. My headlights flicker, and VSA/Brake lights will come on randomly. I can recreate this by slowing down for a red-light or to turn into a driveway where the car will quickly shut off and turn on within a split second including radio and nav.

Volt Meter shows only 14.1V from alternator and 12.73 with car off; modules shows 13.7V via OBD which is odd. Alternator should be putting out 14.4V and it's less than 2 yrs old from rockauto, denso unit and OBD should be reading the same voltage as on the battery.

Bought another denso from rock auto and a positive cable from acura; will be installing this weekend and see if it resolves the issue. I have a feeling it could be the starter shorting or something internal too but doubt it as it's started up no issue.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts