Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, potential future MDXer here. I'm currently in the market for a third gen (specifically 2014-2015) MDX and wanted to get current owners' opinions on the interior dimensions (namely headroom and cargo space) especially from those of you who have owned the earlier models or similar SUVs for comparison.

The reason I ask is I'm about an average size guy (6'0, 200 lbs) and I like most everything about the early third gens, but one thing I'm really looking for in an SUV is interior comfort for long trips, not feeling cramped, plenty of visibility and cargo space. After researching the 2014-2015 and scoping out a few in parking lots, I can't help but feel like it's really more of a raised wagon than the second gen. Almost all interior dimensions have decreased and it seems much more compact.

To put things in perspective, we currently own a 2009 CR-V and a 2012 Lincoln MKZ. I primarily drive the MKZ, and although it is a big vehicle, it feels cramped, even in comparison to other mid-size sedans I've owned in the past. Even with the seat all the way down, my hair grazes the headliner - the headroom on this vehicle comes in at 38.7" according to Edmunds. The CR-V on the other hand is cavernous and comfortable - although a bit top-heavy - but the headroom is listed at 38.9 - almost exactly the same as the MKZ!

Now I understand the Acura is more of a performance SUV, so by definition it's going to be flatter and wider, and I don't want to compromise on performance but I also don't want to feel like I'm in an Audi Allroad ?. Currently have things narrowed down between the MDX and similar vintage Volvo XC90, and although the MDX is better in almost every single way, I think the XC90 may provide a better balance of performance, comfort and utility for my taste. The ultimate decision will of course be made after test driving both, but in the interest of saving time I'd love to hear your opinions. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
I have both a 2nd Gen MDX (11 MDX Adv+Ent, +133,000 miles) and the 3rd Gen MDX (19 MDX Adv sport hybrid, 1,400 city miles). I'm 6'3", +270lbs, size 14 shoe and my wife is 4'11" and we both don't have any issues finding a comfortable position in either vehicle. I haven't taken the 19 MDX on a road trip yet, it has been all city miles.

The current gen seat seem a little firmer, flatter, and less supportive compared to my 11 MDX. I have a hard time resting my elbow on the window sill when I want to chill on my 19 MDX because the B pillar that holds the driver's seatbelts sticks out too far. The plus side of the large B pillar is it acts like a side bolster in tight turns. I miss not being able to rest my hand on the stick shift with the push button 7DCT (still have a stick shift with the 14-15 MDXs, push button on +16 MDXs). The +14 MDXs feel a touch narrower in the cabin than my 11 MDX (I can fit 3 adult with zero problems in my 11 MDX 2nd row). Rear hatch space and ease of use looks about even in both gens.

You will be limited to 3500lbs of towing with fwd MDX and 3500lbs to 5000lbs with the sh-awd MDX (max towing with trans cooling kit). The sh-awd version will drive like a smaller vehicle and handle better with very little 1-2 mile per impact on mpgs.

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
The 3rd gen is definitely roomier, I would say the seats are IMO firmer (say less comfortable than my 2nd gen) but Acura leather quality can vary even inside generations.... Utility wise well.. Lets just say I haven´t seen any third gen owner do this:

But as with most things your mileage may vary… I would consider a third gen myself but only from the 17 and up since I like the Diamond Grille more than the beak in the early 3G.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I agreed with Skirmich, the seat is really firm, I just had a road trip from NYC to The smokie mountain, my group were complaining about seats, I guess 17 MDX has different seats, which is more comfortable.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
You really need to get out and drive around in one. Just looking at the specs when one is .4 or so larger or smaller in one dimension than the other won't answer the question as to how it feels.

When it was time to purchase a new SUV I liked the MDX but pushed my decision out to see what the 3rd gen would be like due to some concerns about the 2nd gen and I ended up buying a 2014 MDX and am glad I did. Some of the concerns - extremely difficult to access 3rd row seat in the 2nd gen which was much improved for the 3rd gen, sliding 2nd row seat on the 3rd gen, much better gas mileage on the 3rd gen, a nicer styling IMO on the 3rd gen (I always thought the outward style of the 2nd gen was slightly off), which is purely subjective, and a number of other attributes.

I've driven the 2014 coast to coast and back multiple times, including just a few weeks ago, and find it comfortable. The seat setting took awhile for me to get it 'just right', which was odd, but I managed to dial it in.

Do some test drives and see what you think.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi all, potential future MDXer here. I'm currently in the market for a third gen (specifically 2014-2015) MDX and wanted to get current owners' opinions on the interior dimensions (namely headroom and cargo space) especially from those of you who have owned the earlier models or similar SUVs for comparison.

The reason I ask is I'm about an average size guy (6'0, 200 lbs) and I like most everything about the early third gens, but one thing I'm really looking for in an SUV is interior comfort for long trips, not feeling cramped, plenty of visibility and cargo space. After researching the 2014-2015 and scoping out a few in parking lots, I can't help but feel like it's really more of a raised wagon than the second gen. Almost all interior dimensions have decreased and it seems much more compact.

To put things in perspective, we currently own a 2009 CR-V and a 2012 Lincoln MKZ. I primarily drive the MKZ, and although it is a big vehicle, it feels cramped, even in comparison to other mid-size sedans I've owned in the past. Even with the seat all the way down, my hair grazes the headliner - the headroom on this vehicle comes in at 38.7" according to Edmunds. The CR-V on the other hand is cavernous and comfortable - although a bit top-heavy - but the headroom is listed at 38.9 - almost exactly the same as the MKZ!

Now I understand the Acura is more of a performance SUV, so by definition it's going to be flatter and wider, and I don't want to compromise on performance but I also don't want to feel like I'm in an Audi Allroad ?. Currently have things narrowed down between the MDX and similar vintage Volvo XC90, and although the MDX is better in almost every single way, I think the XC90 may provide a better balance of performance, comfort and utility for my taste. The ultimate decision will of course be made after test driving both, but in the interest of saving time I'd love to hear your opinions. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi, I've had 08, 11, 14, 16 and 18 MDX's. Liked them all (mostly). I live in Montana so 250 to 500 mile jaunts are more common than most city folks experience. I am 6' and about 250. The one thing I have found most appealing about all of the MDX's I've owned is the long distance comfort. It is even more significant with my 18 with lane keeper assist........it truly reduces upper body fatigue on long trips with lots of twisty mountain roads. For straight highway/freeway driving all of my MDX's I found to be super comfortable. The seat design and composition is superb. Vision is excellent. Steering inputs are extremely low. It always amazes me that even after owning these cars for over 10 years I can climb out and feel as though I might have been at home watching TV. I am also in my 70's so I probably demand more comfort than younger folks. I find the MDX great for long distance trips. While the car is quite big and heavy with respect to handling, it is surprisingly nimble and responsive. I appreciate those characteristics in this class of car. It is decent bang for the buck re: handling. When I want to be a bit more sporty I climb into my 18 Cayenne S Turbo but I don't find it as comfy for long leisurely outtings. I think the MDX is a fine all around ride.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I can't speak specifically on the second gen, but I know it was more comparable in size to the first gen than the third.

The newer version, while over 8 inches longer, is in fact smaller on the inside, but not to the point that I'd say the new model is not acceptable for what most people need it to do. Just don't expect to fit a couch in the back like you hypothetically could have with a first and second gen.

Leg and shoulder room of the driver and passenger areas are about the same, and my 2018 is very comfortable with no complaints.

Cargo hauling capabilities from a floor length standpoint is good/about the same, but overall trunk area is narrower, load floor is higher, and the curvature of the D-pillars and sloping roof does cut down on the floor to ceiling space.

The below pictures You can see how my first gen cargo mat is not even a close fit in the new model from a width standpoint, along with the shortened height of the new version.

IMG_7412.jpeg IMG_6578.jpg

Reactions: Derrick

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you all for your responses! I appreciate those of you who were honest in confirming my perception about the smaller interior dimensions vs earlier models. I am equally appreciative to those who pointed out that despite this, a lot of interior comfort and overall driving experience comes down to ergonomics and materials.

I am now leaning about 50/50 between the Acura and the Volvo. I'm looking for not only practicality, but also a vehicle that is enjoyable to own and a lot of that comes down to reliability. Having owned both Hondas and a Saab in the past, in my mind there is no question that the Acura is more reliable. I will be doing more test drives in the coming weeks and will post back to let you all know if I end up being "part of the club". In the meantime, I welcome any other thoughts and again appreciate all who have posted!

·
Registered
122 Posts
I had an '06 (tech) and currently have the '14 (tech). Definitely easier to pack more in the '06.
We just made a beach trip from Pittsburgh, PA to Hilton Headh, SC (675 miles one way). On the way down, there were 5 of us, my family of 4 (kids 11 & 13) and my FIL. It was a tight squeeze and fairly uncomfortable, esp. for the rear passengers. I have a Sears X-Cargo 20 on top and a hitch hauler on the back and we were packed to the brim in the back (stuff would fall out when I opened the rear). My FIL went home with the in-laws so the trip home was more comfy for my kids in the back.

We survived but, much more comfortable with only 4 people. FIL wished he had the lumbar adjustment on the front passenger seat but only my drivers seat has it. TBH, my '05 Silverado has a more comfortable drivers seat than the MDX (by a little). The lumbar adjustment on it is more pronounced and helps my bad lower back so, it may only be my personal preference. Head room for me is fine. I am 5'11" and 210.

Gas mileage is way better in the '14 with 6 speed tranny compared to the '06. I was getting b/w 22/23 mpg loaded down and through the mountains of WV, VA and NC. We put over 20k miles per year on the MDX so we are in it a lot. It is my wife's daily driver and she likes it a lot.

·
Registered
269 Posts
MDX third row seats are not that comfortable at all as there are no A/C vents and even for shorter distance I don’t like them.
Volvo has more room and have comfortable seats . When I was comparing them Volvo was new model year and engine was extremely rough , so decided to get MDX .
MDX has been great so far besides the NAV issues which got fixed .

1 - 12 of 12 Posts