Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am torn between the saddle and the ebony interior. The Havasu Blue only comes with an Ebony interior and I have never had this. Is it terribly hot? I need some advise!
Thanks!

·
Registered
699 Posts
I've had a black/black for a few weeks, during which the outside temperature has only gotten as high as the low 80s. So far, it cools down within a few minutes. Having two A/Cs rocks! I dunno how it will do when we get some *real* southwest heat...I seem to recall some posts from someone regarding 100+ weather. You might do a search, maybe with "southwest and cool".

There is the psychological impact of a black interior. To me, it just makes me think "hot." So far it hasn't been any issue for me, though.

·
Registered
715 Posts
goldwood, I have a black/black in Texas so I guess that makes me an expert on this topic, ahem!

I would say it DOES run a bit hotter, particularly the top of the dash, but 1) I have tinted windows, which mitigate the effects of the sun, 2) I use a windshield cover and 3) the X has a fabulous dual A/C system which cools the interior down quick. I really don't have a problem and don't regret it one bit.....my previous car was black with a saddle interior, incidentally.

To me black is a "cooler" color and does not show wear/tear/dirt as much as a lighter color leather......there have been posts about the X's saddle interior on this point.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Black Leather + Summer Shorts = Yikes

If you have black leather.

If it is summer, hot, and the sun is blazing.

If you leave the vehicle parked in the direct sun for a while

If you wear shorts.

THEN YOU BETCHA ITS GONNA BE HOT . There are always work arounds [e.g. simply carry some towels to sit on for a couple of minutes, etc].

Soooooo, do you want to do, but do it knowing.

·
Registered
206 Posts
When I first started looking for a new car, I absolutely did not want black. Well, my MDX has the black interior, and I have grown to love it. Even leaving it in the hot sun, I have not found the seats too hot. I dont have any extra tinting or coverings. The leather looks really rich. Im glad I have the black interior.

The only negative would be dirt showing up on the carpet. But it only took a couple of minutes to vacuum it up and it looks good as new.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I prefer saddle interior because of the heat in texas (like Octavian said). I had an 89 Acura Legend with navy blue exterior & interior leather & it was very hot in the summer - since then I haven't had a dark color interior. Dark interiors look fantastic - and as Octavian says - if you tint the front windows & use a decent windshield screen - you should offset some of the heat issues.
Or........you could get saddle :D

·
Registered
32 Posts
Goldwood,
I was torn between the Taffeta White with Saddle and the Granite Green with Ebony. I was not concerned with the heat as much as how the vehicle's interior will look in a few years. The dealer uses a Mesa Beige w/ Saddle as a service shuttle and I asked to see what shape the interior was in after 18 months of service and it was pretty bad. Their were stains all over the floor mats (easily replaced though), the sides and the cargo area. Most of it was attributed to people having salt and snow on their shoes in the winter months.

Once I saw the inside of the shuttle it was an easy choice to get GG with Ebony. If I was in the south I probably would not have minded Saddle but not here in the snow belt.

·
Registered
351 Posts
rob1022 said:
Goldwood,
I was torn between the Taffeta White with Saddle and the Granite Green with Ebony. I was not concerned with the heat as much as how the vehicle's interior will look in a few years. The dealer uses a Mesa Beige w/ Saddle as a service shuttle and I asked to see what shape the interior was in after 18 months of service and it was pretty bad. Their were stains all over the floor mats (easily replaced though), the sides and the cargo area. Most of it was attributed to people having salt and snow on their shoes in the winter months.

Once I saw the inside of the shuttle it was an easy choice to get GG with Ebony. If I was in the south I probably would not have minded Saddle but not here in the snow belt.
My wife has a G-20 (Infiniti) with sand interior. We've had the car for 4 years. I'd like to think that we are clean people and that we clean our cars well. Most of the four years of ownership was childless. Nevertheless, the interior carpets look like crap. A quick fix for me would be to get new floor mats, which would help, but there are visible stains on the carpet as well. We tried to have the carpet professionally cleaned (we know a guy, etc.), and it didn't work.

I have black interior on my other car and none of the dirt shows unless there is a lot of dust present. I think I want the black/ebony interior, but not sure my wife does. It's her call, but I need to try to talk her into it. I am leaning towards black/black! I think it looks the best. Not to be a Mr. Jones, but there is already a silver/black and a white//tan on our circle. My wife was considering a white/tan, but is now thinking gold/tan, too. I think the black/black looks the best, but I wash and clean my cars once a week, so I am not worried about the dirt factor.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have the black/black, I wanted the Midnight blue but wanted the darker interior. I live in SO Florida and it has already hit 98 here, the MDX cools down quick.

My last car was the RX300, Greenpearl with sable interior and I think that was hotter.. I would start the engine wait a few minutes before I would even attempt to put the babies in. With the black/black I put the engine on and open the hatch, by the time I get to the passenger side, it is cool enough.. Of course I have the air on HIGH.. but it works for me.

Get the colors you LOVE, don't let heat stop you from buying the color you want.

As for me, I still wish the midnight blue had the ebony interior :(

·
Registered
836 Posts
All color interiors are too hot in the summer. One other thing to consider is that lighter colors will reflect onto the inside of the windshield. Black reflects much less, so is actually easier to live with on a bright sunny day.

Take note of other responses here on how light interiors look after a few months/years. Black gets my vote, even on a 90 degree day.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts