Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
randomly during the night my interior and puddle lights keep coming on in my 2016 MDX. when you go out to the car in the morning, the doors are locked. the orange lights on the mirror aren't coming on. my security cameras keep picking it up. It has been to the dealership three times already and they keep hooking it up to a computer and cant find anything... anyone have this issue before?

https://video.nest.com/clip/352cc3df3a7749abb5c5b5ec626c87a2.mp4

its around the 20 second mark.

·
Registered
555 Posts
. Bad software or possibly a bad ground. You might have the battery checked too. A weak battery can cause all sorts of stupid issues.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
randomly during the night my interior and puddle lights keep coming on in my 2016 MDX. when you go out to the car in the morning, the doors are locked. the orange lights on the mirror aren't coming on. my security cameras keep picking it up. It has been to the dealership three times already and they keep hooking it up to a computer and cant find anything... anyone have this issue before?
The exact same thing happens with my 2014 MDX - every now and then in the night my security cam picks up that the interior lights of the MDX went on and then after a bit, off. It's identical to what happens when the vehicle detects the key FOB near it - i.e. what it's supposed to do. My assumption is that it's due to where the FOB is in the house, i.e. the distance from the vehicle, and that random conditions just manage to get the signal from the FOB to the vehicle every now and then such that the vehicle thinks it's time to turn on the lights and unlock the doors. Once the signal goes away and some seconds elapse, the lights turn back off and I think the doors lock.

This is an intermittent thing where it only happens maybe once a month max although I'd really only notice if it happens at night thanks to the security cam detecting the light turning on.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's happening to more vehicles but the owners just don't know it because they don't have anything to capture the event.

I haven't worried about it since it's not in an area where I'm concerned about a thief in the middle of the night just happening to notice the car unlocked itself. I haven't tried moving the key FOBs (both) further away from the vehicle and/or shielding them yet.

The wonders of modern technology.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I was having battery drain issues that we tracked back to the key fob being too close. I thought it was far enough away, but it wasn’t. I ended up putting the keys in a metal tin on the opposite end of my home and magically the issue stopped.

I had to apologize to the dealer because they kept saying everything was fine and I kept bringing it in to service.

These key fobs have impressive range. I’d suggest moving the fob further away and maybe trying a metal box, even (faraday cage)

·
Registered
555 Posts
Funny, due to the way I have my car configured I simply leave a key fob in the car when its parked in the garage. So far, so good.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
its funny that the key fob is so far some the car. I am going to try the tin idea, and see what happens. I am not in a super high crime area, but it is still a concern. the dealer keeps telling me.. no one has ever reported it, but like you say not everyone has cameras.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I roughly estimate the straight line distance from the FOB to the MDX as about 25-30 feet. I think it boils down to when atmospheric conditions are juuuust right the signal makes it through every now and then. Assuming it's due to the proximity of the FOB as I suspect I think this is likely happening to a lot more people but they just don't realize it.

How far is your FOB away from the vehicle when this happens?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts