Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve attached links to compare both the OEM style, and this (new?) heavy-duty version from Moog. It looks like these would not have as much lateral compliance as the original style bushings, but are likely to last a lot longer.

Curious to know if anyone has tried those bushings... and if so, what has your experience been with them?

Looks fairly promising to me, but what do you guys think?

NEW STYLE:
Federal-Mogul Motorparts

OE STYLE:
Federal-Mogul Motorparts

·
Registered
758 Posts
Cant really tell if they are solid or hollow but appears to be a good find in my opinion and I would try them. We drive the X on good surface roads and freeway so if they don’t swing up/down as much or stiffer compared to the original design, it’s no worry to me. (Not sure if tire wear would be affected but again, Id try them.)

I say this because the aftermarket (mevocrap arms and local parts store) factory profile bushings Ive tried dont last. The only thing good, if you can call it that, is that the parts store bushings are warrantied forever and available locally so I just keep swapping them out.

I generally like Moog parts and will give these a try next time around. If they have them in an arm assembly, I would buy those.

Thanks for sharing the find!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The stock bushings allow for a significant amount of compliance. That lateral compliance at the rear of the control arm allows the wheel spindle to move slightly rearwards upon hitting a road imperfection. All of that rubbery compliance contributes to improved ride characteristics and reduces NVH, at the cost of reduced wheel control and inconsistent bump-steer reactions. So from a tire wear standpoint, those heavy-duty bushings should (if anything) be better for tire wear.

As for them being hollow? That thicker outer ring may not be solid. It may be that we’re looking at a sheet metal side flange, and perhaps the rubber continues underneath? That would allow for more compressible volume, bringing them closer in compliance to the stock bushings. (Depending on the Shore rating of the rubber, of course.) Bottom line is that by NOT having that thinned-out cross section at the outer radius of the stock bushing, it should hold up a hell of a lot better by resisting the cracking & tearing that plagues the stock bushings.

Interesting to note however is that the Moog replacement arms don’t contain the new style bushings. Too bad they don’t offer those as an alternate. I’m not sure which way I’ll go yet – new arms, or press in new bushings. But either way, I hope that this info can be of use to people in the future.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.