Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if you claim glass coverage on a windshield crack whether it would increase the premium of your car insurance?

I also read on other post, it would be wise to request an OEM Windshield and get it calibrated at the dealer due to aftermarket glass issues. Is this correct?

Thanks in advance for your input!

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
I'd insist on an OEM windshield even if it ends up costing you some additional money. Not all windshield glass is created equal - some, including the MDX I think, have special sound dampening engineered into it.

Check with your insurance broker on what'll happen with your policy and what exactly your policy covers as far as windshields go and whether the premium will go up with a claim. What one person says about their insurance coverage has no bearing on what yours will do. Even if it's the same insurance company the coverage and their behavior can vary with the state it's in and the policy options.

·
Registered
2022 MDX Type S
77 Posts
Yeah, when it comes to windshields, OEM for me always, especially if with HUD

Some manufacturers recommend recalibration of the camera behind the windshield, some don't, not sure what Honda recommends.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just replaced my crack windshield. Check with you insurance how it covers windshield replacement. It may have a different deductible from you comprehensive deductible. Mine is 0 deductible fortunately. Also make sure to ask if they cover the camera or hud recalibration (mine did). The OEM windshield is acoustic glass for noise reduction. MDX has pretty good wind noise control so I think you should request for OEM glass.

I was told by my agent that my insurance premium should not increase for windshield replacement.

·
Registered
2022 MDX Type S
77 Posts
^^out of curiosity, this was done by Safelite, other 3rd party, or dealer? Also curious about the cost of the OEM windshield which has acoustic technology as you stated

No issues with HUD, light sensor, rain sensor or camera post replacement?

·
Registered
15 Posts

^^out of curiosity, this was done by Safelite, other 3rd party, or dealer? Also curious about the cost of the OEM windshield which has acoustic technology as you stated

No issues with HUD, light sensor, rain sensor or camera post replacement?
The windshield replacement job was done by a local glass shop referred by the dealer. They came to the dealer for the replacement and then dealer did the calibration afterwards. My car does not have hud. The rain sensing wiper and light sensor work well. I did not notice a difference in terms of wind noise before and after the replacement either. I think they did a pretty good job. I do not know how much the insurance company paid for the OEM glass actually.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Every insurance is different but most will not raise your rates for a single windshield replacement since it's not something one can really control.

I have USAA and asked them and they said they won't raise rates as long as it isn't more than one replacement a year.

Meanwhile I had a co-worker who every time their Jeep got even just a small star chip they would replace it and didn't have any rate changes despite having 5 windshields replaced last year.

Most dealers sub out glass work anyway, so the two times I've needed replacements, I used Safelite who came to my house to do it. They bill insurance more than what they charge you out of pocket--you can go on their website and see what options you have for OEM, OEM-like (identical but does not have manufacturer logo on it), or true aftermarket.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Without a doubt each state has it’s own rules.

Under Florida’s law, insurers cannot charge a deductible for windshield repairs under comprehensive coverage or CAC policies. This means that you can probably receive free windshield repairs for damage caused by anything except a collision.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I would encourage everyone to review your policy or check with your agent to see what is covered. With all the new technology that is in and around the windshield/rear view mirror, windshield replacement and recalibration can get expensive. While I have not had any issues, from being on the MB forum with my S550, windshield replacement is costly. I have Nationwide thru an independent agent. When I checked I did not have OEM coverage. I have since added OEM replacement for all vehicle parts, and full Windshield Coverage (no deductible).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm in NY with a $50 Glass Deductible. I will probably have to call my insurance company to ask. I never used an agent and always just bought the insurance through the website, guess I will have to call the main customer service line.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My insurance company uses Safelite glass. In the case of the MDX, they will install a laminated windshield and full intergrate into the MDX’s system. The company will then fully warranty the installation against any issues (except breakage, of course). Having used Safelite for my Pilot, I have found them to be professional and the work is excellent. Most dealers will outsource windshields…..

In regards to cost, the insurance company offers full glass coverage in addition to comprehensive coverage. Cost for the MDX windshield is app. $975 vs $400 on the Pilot. Probably due to the increased labor to recalibrate the systems.

As I average a new windshield every two years, it was more cost effective to eliminate the glass coverage and get a lower comprehensive deductible as this would cover more of the car and save some dollars.

Of course, within 2 weeks of owning the car, I got a star chip on the passenger side. While the comp coverage would have taken care of this with $0 deductible, I just used a kit to repair it my self without engaging the insurance company. Came out fine.

Insurance companies use several matrix's to rate their customers. One of the key ones is frequency of claims and if you have your home, auto’s and other items with them, they will aggregate this for a total claims history. Something to keep in mind.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Does anyone know if you claim glass coverage on a windshield crack whether it would increase the premium of your car insurance?

I also read on other post, it would be wise to request an OEM Windshield and get it calibrated at the dealer due to aftermarket glass issues. Is this correct?

glass is usually under comprehensive. Over the years I've probably had a dozen or more windshields replaced under comprehensive on a variety of cars. Damaged varied from cracks to windshields just getting sand pitted enough to justify replacement. Never has caused my insurance premium to go up. The last replacement was on our 2021 MDX hybrid advance when a rock chip cracked the windshield. Interestingly the insurance company insisted that ONLY a ACURA OEM glass be used. NO aftermarket glass. Took a few weeks to get an OEM glass in. I just have a $100 deductible on comprehensive. Current windshields can be expensive. the acura ended up at around $1500, glad I had coverage. And the rear sliding window glass on our Denali truck cracked a few years ago. The replacement for that was close to $2000, slider and heated adds up. Again $100 deductible and got it replaced.
Normally I've used safelite for glass replacement, very good luck and good service. For the Acura I went with the shop that the Acura dealer sub'd work out to and also was a shop a neighbor new and had the equipment to calibrate the glass. They picked up the car, took it to the shop, did the glass and delivered it back to our house . The hybrid advance glass in addition to all the camera stuff also has an electrically heated element in the lower section to heat the area down by the wipers as well.

·
Registered
2004 MDX, 2022 MDX
4,538 Posts
Over 40-50 years, I've averaged one significant windshield chip every 5-10 years. Each time, I have had it professionally repaired by my local Novus Glass representative for around $100, and there have been no subsequent issues.

I have twice had windshields crack, including last year on my 2004 MDX due to gravel falling out of a truck ahead. My insurance paid for the replacement, except I paid the deductible under my comprehensive policy. There were actually two cracks in the windshield last year, as you can see:
Car Window Plant Hood Motor vehicle

Building Branch Window Twig Lighting

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
Having used Safelite for my Pilot, I have found them to be professional and the work is excellent.
I used Safelite to repair a chip in the windshield and I think they did a lousy job and the repair made it a worse blemish than it was to begin with (and it was a stable chip a couple years old). This is just a single anecdotal experience on my part.

Over the years I've probably had a dozen or more windshields replaced under comprehensive on a variety of cars.
Wow - that's a lot.

In over 50 years of driving, and it's a lot of driving including a number of coast to coast trips as well as driving trips all over the place, plus typical daily work commutes, I've somehow 'never' cracked a windshield or had one replaced with insurance. I did have a couple windshields replaced on old classic cars that had decades of pitting but I just footed those bills myself.

I hope my luck holds up.

·
Super Moderator
2,271 Posts
In the last 30+ years of driving, I only need to replace two windshields (lucky me), but I had few windshield chipped repairs. Anyhow, in either case, I didn't notice any premium increase.

I am paying addition $21 annual premium for OEM parts on my 2019 MDX. (Little annual fee for OEM parts if needed)

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
Only had one windshield replaced. On a BMW. Safelite fixed it. Through insurance. 2 years later it started to expand. Called StateFarm. They used the same claim number to replace the windshield. Safelite, at my house. Had HUD. safelite took it for a ride to calibrate. It worked great.

·
Registered
90 Posts

I think OEM is best if it doesn't cost too much more. I just got a replacement for my wifes 2020 RDX advance and it took about 4 months to get it. He was waiting for nearly 50 more for a wide assortment of Acuras, one over 6 months. The camera realignment is very expensive yet it is sometimes needed. A bunch of info and safety features depend on the cameras to be accurate. (I guess). Not sure how much is BS though.

·
Registered
15 Posts

First and foremost, request OEM replacement. Based on your track record and time with your current insurance, it should not impact your premiums.

·
Registered
336 Posts
First and foremost, request OEM replacement. Based on your track record and time with your current insurance, it should not impact your premiums.
BUTTTT

if paying out of pocket, shop around

I had a big crack in my 2014 Accord windshield. Didn't have glass coverage. Honda glass made by Pilkington with Honda H logo on it was going to be like $750 to replace. My glass guy got a Pilkington version (has Pilkington logo etc but no Honda H) and it had the exact same FCW Sensor cutout area and everything and I think he charged me a total of $299 for everything (installed) so saved A LOT on that part.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts