Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I have a few random instrument bulbs that are burned out, but I'm not sure how to access them. The two sets in question are the AUTO/OFF buttons on the upper dash AC controls. The switches work perfectly fine, but the little amber indicator lights don't come on. I also need bulbs to illuminate the heated seat switches. The amber portions for Hi/Lo work, but not the white-blue indicator that should come on with other instrument panel lights. Lastly are the green indicator bulbs for the Cruise Control and VTA buttons. Again, the both work just fine, but they don't light up as they should.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
None of those jobs (at least the couple of 'em I've done) are particularly difficult, but they do require some fairly good DIY skills. There are a lot of resources online to show how the panels come out, and for the most part it's just a plug-and-play with new light bulbs.

Of course, there are two approaches - one is to buy new bulbs from Honda, which will be direct, easy replacements. The other option is to find some appropriate "grain of wheat" 12 volt bulbs that you can use to replace the bad bulbs by removing each of them from the plastic base, and re-installing the new ones. That's a bit more fiddly, but can save some money since Honda gets a fair number of greenbacks for each of those replacement bulbs. For example, I found a pack of 10 (IIRC) bulbs for just a few bucks, but had to do a bit of re-engineering when I realized that the leads were too short, and a bit too fat to fit through the plastic bases. Still worth it, IMHO, but I've got more time and patience than most folks. ;-)

In the end, it's "just" a matter of figuring out how to take things apart until you can access the dead bulb, and then replacing it with a new one. IIRC, the upper climate control panel just pops out (using a plastic panel removal tool or similar, I think), and the seat heater switches just pop out. You can look up the bulbs on any Honda online parts dealer (there are a host of 'em) - just "drill down" until you get to the bulbs, or you can reference many posts on the subject which have the actual part numbers.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've never heard of "grain of wheat" bulbs. That should help a lot. I don't mind tinkering around either. As I said, everything is actually working really well in the car over all, but I'm just being a bit OCD about a few indicator bulbs :) Thanks for the pro tips.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I just replaced 7 of the illuminated buttons bulbs, they are all neo wedge t3 base sized. I ordered a set of ten led for a few dollars with the bases attached. The leds are polar sensitive so they will need to be turned 180 deg. if they do not light up the first try. Most of the buttons just pop out; the only one needing unscrewing were the buttons attached to the cluster bezel (vtm, dimmer, select, reset ect.)

The ac/hvac buttons are the only abnormal bulbs as the are a long extention of the t3 base. These I did the same as ”Habby”, just replaced the bulbs with extended leads into the Oem plastic bulb bases.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the tip! Do you happen to have a link the the bulbs you ordered? Also, do the bulbs need to be colored in any way, or will plain/white bulbs be ok (i.e. do the switches contain the stock tinting?)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Thanks for the tip! Do you happen to have a link the the bulbs you ordered? Also, do the bulbs need to be colored in any way, or will plain/white bulbs be ok (i.e. do the switches contain the stock tinting?)
Did you ever get a link for the LED bulbs or wind up ordering some yourself?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts