Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently noticed the plastic for the instrument cluster is getting scratched this is very noticable with the sun behind me. I go to the car wash however, I never had this problem before. My X is only 2 months old. Has anyone else had this problem? I'm taking this in for other work and I will ask about this.

·
Super Moderator
4,592 Posts
Most likely if you take it to one of those car washes where they towel dry the car afterwards and clean interior. It might be the towels they use are abrasive and scrath up the cluster plastic.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
This stuff works...

I've used this: http://www.noscratch.com/novus/
It works as advertised.

This stuff also works, and might be cheaper:

http://www.scratchpolish.com/plastic_restoration.htm

The way they work is by smoothing out the scratches with a very fine abrasive. (DO NOT USE on optical srufaces, as it WILL remove surface) This is fine on clear plastics, as longer as their is no coating to wear away. This is FINE for the instrument panel 'lense' but I would not use it on other interior plastics (both becuase it is abrasive and the 'anti-fog' will eventually build up)...

·
Registered
928 Posts
this was one of my first 'upsets' with MDX a year ago... i started cleaning the gauges from dust and noticed the scratches. i was about to go to the dealer and have them replaced, but after a couple of days i stopped noticing the scratches and am fine with it ever since.

IMO, acura cheaped out on the plastic parts big time (not to mention fake wood trim which i'd gladly replace with brushed metal even FAKE one).

·
Registered
35 Posts
Gauge Scratches

Well, I guess I can say me to on this one. Just got back from taking my wife to lunch in her MDX and she pointed out that the plastic covering the gauges was scratched. She uses a local car wash and has interior done when I am traveling and she wants a clean car and I must assume that their towels may be the source. I will look into using the "noscratch" or polish stuff and let you know how it works for us.

Thanks for sharing and starting the thread.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts