Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK guys (and gals), I need your input big time:

I bought fender flares for a great price (thanks Tim) and I am faced with the decision of having them installed at my local Acura dealer for $90 or installing them myself. I am pretty handy with tools, but I am certainly no expert handyman. Do I install the fender flares myself or do I go down to the dealer and pluck down $90 and forget about the hassle of installing them myself? I'm relying on the MDX experts out there to give me some input and feedback. Thanks in advance!!!!

rjmoose

·
Registered
206 Posts
Hello rjmoose
One thing to consider, if you have your dealer instal your flares, they will be covered under warranty. Ninety bucks is a good investment if you should have any problems over the next four years. Just clean and wax the fenders and wheel wells before instal. If you instal them your self, have fun.
Good Luck

·
Super Moderator
4,592 Posts
Yes they will be covered by a warranty, BUT it will be the one year warranty that Honda parts are covered. Not the same as it would have been if installed prior to delivery, which would be the same as the car. Look at the instructions and then realistically think how hard it would be to install. I recently Installed rear mud guards, body side mouldings and side steps. On my wifes civic I intalled rear spoiler, and fog lights. and mud guards. I just looked at the instructions and they are relatively easy to install. Just alot of pieces that will take a good couple of hrs to install much like the side steps. I would do it for you if you lived in my area :). Personally I say try it and when you do finish the project you will be proud of your self.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I installed the flares myself, because I can save $200-$300 over my dealer installed price. For only $90, I would reconsider.

The flares are not difficult, but you do have to do the steps right and take your time making sure everything lines up. On the rears, you have to remove the wheel well lining, so some work is involved.

Harry above says to wax under the flares first. However, you must CLEAN ALL wax, dirt, etc from the paint first, because the flares attach with double sided tape on the outside, and need clean paint to stick properly. Use Isopropyl alcohol to clean the wax, oils, dirt, etc. off first. The instructions lead you through this.

Good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts