Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
eujinc said:
90-95 ft/lbs is plenty. OEM only calls for something like 50 ft/lbs.

My garnish also touches the hitch but does not pose any problems with deformation or rattling. It's a very snug fit.
eujinc, thanks for the follow up. That's good to know that you've been using this setup for a year. I've been using the T2 rack on my other car for years and now I can finally put it on the MDX!

Gotta love the snow ride. Where was that shot taken?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Why the need for rear garnish?

One quick question for eujinc or others that have installed the valley receiver hitch as documented here.

Why install the rear garnish? Is it because installation of the Valley receiver hitch deforms the bumper?

If so, does anyone know if any of the other receiver hitches for the '07 MDX as listed at etrailer below would NOT deform the bumper, thereby abolishing the need for installation of a rear garnish?

http://www.etrailer.com/hitch-2007_Acura_MDX.htm

Thanks,
Barry Robbins
San Marcos, CA
[email protected]

·
Registered
140 Posts
Re: done

Acura2007 said:
Thanks to this forum and all helpful posts I decided to install Valley hitch with rear bumper garnish. I was nervous at first as Hitch mounts slightly high and it does touch a bumper not leaving space for anything in between, but since I had the garnish already I decided to give it a try anyway.
It turned out that bumper garnish is mounted bit higher and it covers deformed bumper (around hitch area) perfectly. My biggest task and time consuming portion was rear bumper removal.
In addition I mounted VanGuard side steps identical to OEM but for a fraction of the cost. They are being sold for $200 vs. OEM - $600.
I took my MDX to my dealership to compare original steps to mine and the only difference are the mounting brackets. If you look closely you’ll see that OEM has 3 brackets vs. 2 made by VanGuard. Unfortunately OEM ones look more durable as well, but I gave it a test and they held my 240 ponds just fine multiple times. Anyway, those will be mainly used by kids and I think the price was just right.
Highly recommend etrailer.com website. Don’t forget “accuramdx.org” as a 10% discount code.
Are these the same side steps you installed? http://vanguardoffroad.com/20acmdxsistn.html

How have they held up for you?

Thanks!

PJ

·
Registered
18 Posts
Re: Harness options for Valley hitch

Russr said:
Hi Guys 'n Gals

Season's gretting, Happy 2009, etc, etc, etc!

So, I've installed my Valley hitch, got the the Thule T2 - all is good.

As it happens, our business recently bought a 12' HaulMark trailer to house (and sometimes move) some tradeshow gear.

I really do not like the idea of the harness you kinda flop out and dangle out the tailgate - just seems sloppy in general.

So, which harness should I go with, and what is the best way to go about hooking it up/mounting on the hitch? And what other bits (brake controller, etc) do I need to get?

Thanks

russ
x2 i am also looking for a decent wiring kit

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hitch + Rear Garnish installed

So I decided to install both the Valley Hitch and rear bumper garnish this past weekend based on the pics and comments on this site, specifically eujinc's install pics.

I actually installed the rear garnish first and then the hitch. With the rear bumper off, it allowed in more light and allowed more room to maneuver. I installed the hitch by myself, but I would highly recommend two people for this. It would be much easier to get the bolts aligned in one shot rather than struggle with the weight of the hitch and perform multiple balancing acts with jacks, jack stands, and screwdrivers, etc.

One question to those of you who have installed the hitch and to others who want to chime in on this: I was only able to get the bolts torqued to about 90-95 lbs. The specs call for 116 lbs. which seems impossible due to the tight quarters. The main purpose for this rack is to haul bikes and not any heavy towing. Should this be OK? As far as I can tell, that mofo is on there and not moving anywhere. I literally could not move the torque wrench any further on any of the 8 bolts.

Lastly is a question specifically for those out there that have installed both hitch + rear garnish. The bottom of the gray insert on the rear bumper and the rear garnish are slightly touching the top of the hitch. While I don't see any realistic options to remedy that, is that normal. I've attached a pic. I seem to remember someone saying that the hitch and the bumper didn't touch at all. The tailgate closes fine and all the screws and clips went back in the right spot, so I'm guessing there's no problem here.

I've also taken pics of the install, but "eujinc" documented the process quite well and don't think I could add much to that. But if anyone is interested, I do have install pics.
Hello,

I am planning to install a htich to my 2008 MDX with bumper garnish but I can not find the Valley Hitch to mentioned. Can you please tell me the model number and where to order?

Thank you in advance,

Charlie

41 - 50 of 50 Posts