Registered
2,818 Posts
Fantastic job. Excellent write-up & detail pictures. :29:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Question about Zip Ties

Hi
Thanks for the tip. I have a Q - what do you dangle the ties from?

Thanks, and thanks for the whole post - nice pics, etc!

russ

KES said:
A hint on holding the hitch in place while installing the bolts. Rather than using a jack I used long zip ties and just kept tightening them in sequence until the hitch was in place. Then cut one tie with a pair of snips and install the bolt. Repeat for the other bolts. Very easy and safe.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Update:

Went on a 320 mile trip last weekend with the Thule T2 and my mountain bike attached. Had the X loaded with people and cargo area was filled with stuff. If not for me looking in the rear view mirror, I would not have known my bike was back there. There was no noticeable change in the handling at all.

The T2 is secured to the hitch receiver by a threaded bolt with a locking washer and a regular washer. Only downside is I was not able to use my regular hitch lock for the T2. Once the bolt is tightened, there is no movement or wobble. Very solid even when going over bumpy, country back roads. Loading and unloading the bike was so easy. The first time I did it, I had to check and recheck thinking I must have missed something because it literally took me only seconds to secure the bike.

Overall, very happy with this bike rack and would definitely recommend it. :29:

·
Registered
402 Posts
Thanks for the tip. I have a Q - what do you dangle the ties from?

You don't - just thead the ties though the bolt holes.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Really Sweet !

I'm itching to do the same thing for my '05.

One question: were you able to retain your full-size spare with the Valley hitch?

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
dorkygrin said:

One question: were you able to retain your full-size spare with the Valley hitch?
The Valley hitch will not work with a full size spare for the Gen 2 MDX (not a problem for me since I don't have a FSS ;)).

Since you have an '05, the hitch is quite different. It looks like it circumvents the spare whereas the 2007+ hitch goes a little under the narrow donut spare. Try posting your question under the 2001-2006 MDX forum or even on the Honda Pilot board as they both use the same hitch.

Here's the Valley hitch for a 2005:

And here's one for the 2007+:

·
Registered
128 Posts
Awesome pics and write up! I wonder if the moderator would consider creating a section on DIY's and Aftermarket Upgrades? Or is there already one?

Still a newbie. :)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Valley Hitch

One question. How the heck did you tighten the lower rear most bolts (the ones closest to the bumper). I can't figure out how to tighten them. Sockets and open head wrenches don't fit.
:confused:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Everyone

I too am debating on which hitch to get for an 08 with plans plan to use it for mounting a bike and snowboard rack only. But what happens if you have a flat and you need to put on the donut, where would you store your full size wheel then?

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
TrunkMonkey said:
Hi Everyone

I too am debating on which hitch to get for an 08 with plans plan to use it for mounting a bike and snowboard rack only. But what happens if you have a flat and you need to put on the donut, where would you store your full size wheel then?
You can still hang the punctured full size tire under the car but it will have to sit under the hitch. Or you can put it the car itself.

Speaking from my own experience, the only time I pulled out the spare is when the tire has a big gash (glass from accident debris) or a sidewall puncture (from consruction site). The other times, with just a nail puncture, I pump up the tire with a small air compressor which I carry in my trunk. It's more than sufficient to get me to the nearest gas station to get the tire plugged.

·
Registered
3 Posts
done

Thanks to this forum and all helpful posts I decided to install Valley hitch with rear bumper garnish. I was nervous at first as Hitch mounts slightly high and it does touch a bumper not leaving space for anything in between, but since I had the garnish already I decided to give it a try anyway.
It turned out that bumper garnish is mounted bit higher and it covers deformed bumper (around hitch area) perfectly. My biggest task and time consuming portion was rear bumper removal.
In addition I mounted VanGuard side steps identical to OEM but for a fraction of the cost. They are being sold for $200 vs. OEM - $600.
I took my MDX to my dealership to compare original steps to mine and the only difference are the mounting brackets. If you look closely you’ll see that OEM has 3 brackets vs. 2 made by VanGuard. Unfortunately OEM ones look more durable as well, but I gave it a test and they held my 240 ponds just fine multiple times. Anyway, those will be mainly used by kids and I think the price was just right.
Highly recommend etrailer.com website. Don’t forget “accuramdx.org” as a 10% discount code.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Nice job with all of the pictures. I went with an after market hitch, Hidden Hitch that I found on E-Bay total cost including shipping $150.00.
I also found the Thule T-2 to be perfect for my bike transporting needs, (now I just need more time to ride). Thanks for the information. I'll post pictures later.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Harness options for Valley hitch

Hi Guys 'n Gals

Season's gretting, Happy 2009, etc, etc, etc!

So, I've installed my Valley hitch, got the the Thule T2 - all is good.

As it happens, our business recently bought a 12' HaulMark trailer to house (and sometimes move) some tradeshow gear.

I really do not like the idea of the harness you kinda flop out and dangle out the tailgate - just seems sloppy in general.

So, which harness should I go with, and what is the best way to go about hooking it up/mounting on the hitch? And what other bits (brake controller, etc) do I need to get?

Thanks

russ

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thanks for pics and the info. I just got the front and rear garnish for my 07 X. Was installing the rear garnish but I am tentative to remove the bumper after I took the screws out because I am afraid that I will break the clips. Did you just pull it out? Thnaks.

Debating whether to bring it to the dealer. They will install both for 190.

·
Registered
437 Posts
fjr44 said:
Thanks for pics and the info. I just got the front and rear garnish for my 07 X. Was installing the rear garnish but I am tentative to remove the bumper after I took the screws out because I am afraid that I will break the clips. Did you just pull it out? Thnaks.

Debating whether to bring it to the dealer. They will install both for 190.
i could install it for you for 150 =P

·
Registered
36 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Hitch + Rear Garnish installed

So I decided to install both the Valley Hitch and rear bumper garnish this past weekend based on the pics and comments on this site, specifically eujinc's install pics.

I actually installed the rear garnish first and then the hitch. With the rear bumper off, it allowed in more light and allowed more room to maneuver. I installed the hitch by myself, but I would highly recommend two people for this. It would be much easier to get the bolts aligned in one shot rather than struggle with the weight of the hitch and perform multiple balancing acts with jacks, jack stands, and screwdrivers, etc.

One question to those of you who have installed the hitch and to others who want to chime in on this: I was only able to get the bolts torqued to about 90-95 lbs. The specs call for 116 lbs. which seems impossible due to the tight quarters. The main purpose for this rack is to haul bikes and not any heavy towing. Should this be OK? As far as I can tell, that mofo is on there and not moving anywhere. I literally could not move the torque wrench any further on any of the 8 bolts.

Lastly is a question specifically for those out there that have installed both hitch + rear garnish. The bottom of the gray insert on the rear bumper and the rear garnish are slightly touching the top of the hitch. While I don't see any realistic options to remedy that, is that normal. I've attached a pic. I seem to remember someone saying that the hitch and the bumper didn't touch at all. The tailgate closes fine and all the screws and clips went back in the right spot, so I'm guessing there's no problem here.

I've also taken pics of the install, but "eujinc" documented the process quite well and don't think I could add much to that. But if anyone is interested, I do have install pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
90-95 ft/lbs is plenty. OEM only calls for something like 50 ft/lbs. It's been almost a year since I installed mine and aside from some minor surface rust on the inside of the hitch (easily remedied by a quick squirt of black spray paint) where the bike rack slides in, I have zero issues with the hitch.

My garnish also touches the hitch but does not pose any problems with deformation or rattling. It's a very snug fit.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts