Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after months of debating whether to go with the Acura tow hitch package or the Valley hitch, I ended up getting the Valley hitch. At one point, I was 95% sure about getting the OEM package which has a really complete package (hitch hardware, bumper insert, wiring harness, etc) and also allows for a full size spare. Then reality sets in. Aside from a bike rack, I do not have anything to tow. The cost justification was simply not there (about $600 for OEM and only a little over $100 for Valley). Furthermore, I suddenly developed a liking for the rear garnish.

Here are some pics of the installation of the Valley hitch, Acura rear garnish and Thule T2 bike rack:

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hitch Installation:

Removal of the exhaust hangars (there are 2) and the heat shield on just one side is sufficient for the install. WD-40 and a large pair of pliers made it very easy.

There was a tip shared by a member on using a screwdriver to align the holes which helped.

Also, the tip by another member on using a floor jack to help hold the hitch came in handy.

Watch out for the area between the hitch and the lower bumper bracket. I managed to bash my finger while trying to alight the hitch. No pain, no glory.

Here's the hitch bolted on. The instructions called for 116 lb-ft. Seems like an overkill since the OEM hitch only requires 55 lb-ft. I used 100 lb-ft as that was the max on my torque wrench and believe me, torquing the bolts to 100 lb-ft in such a confined space was quite a hernia-inducing workout.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rear Garnish Installation:

The rear bumper removal required removing a couple more screws in the wheel well than was specified in the instructions. The bumper simply snapped off once the screws, clips and bolts were removed.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Very nice. If i had known about the aftermarket stuff available in the early days, i may just have held off an gotten the Valley Hitch. Nonetheless, been very happy with the OEM and the Thule T2.

Congrats!

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Nice job eujinc :29: it looks really nice ..thanks for the detailed pics... couldn't help but notice the F1 hitch thing :) ...nicceee... MONACO THIS WEEK BABY !!!! :2:

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
s2k000l, your X on main page was a big influence on my T2 decision. Thanks.

Kingmdx, yeah, can't wait for this weekend. Should be interesting with no TC on a tight street circuit. Didn't think there was anyone here interested in F1.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
eujinc said:
Kingmdx, yeah, can't wait for this weekend. Should be interesting with no TC on a tight street circuit. Didn't think there was anyone here interested in F1.

Man I got every race for the season so far still on the DVR :p ..lol ..if I get a hitch that will be the cover for sure :roadtrip: ...don't hear anyone talking about it at all on here ...weird ...but now we know there are two fans on here !!! :29:

·
Registered
13 Posts
kingmdx said:

...don't hear anyone talking about it at all on here ...weird ...but now we know there are two fans on here !!! :29:
Make that 3, good buddy!!:D
Really bummed when F1 and IMS couldn't make the deal last year. The wife and I went every year and watch each Sunday. Now if the damn Honda team would get some traction... :(

·
Registered
402 Posts
A hint on holding the hitch in place while installing the bolts. Rather than using a jack I used long zip ties and just kept tightening them in sequence until the hitch was in place. Then cut one tie with a pair of snips and install the bolt. Repeat for the other bolts. Very easy and safe.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
kingmdx said:

Man I got every race for the season so far still on the DVR :p ..lol ..
You must have a lot of space on your DVR. :D . I just make sure I get the season review at the end of the year. Although I do burn to DVD memorable races like Honda's first win in Hungary in '06 :29:.

gsMDoX said:

Really bummed when F1 and IMS couldn't make the deal last year. The wife and I went every year and watch each Sunday. Now if the damn Honda team would get some traction... :(
Yeah, too bad about IMS. I've been there 3 times (driven there from MD twice and made a generous donation to the OH state police on the last trip). With Ross Brawn on board, let's hope Honda F1 can turn around soon.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
KES said:
A hint on holding the hitch in place while installing the bolts. Rather than using a jack I used long zip ties and just kept tightening them in sequence until the hitch was in place. Then cut one tie with a pair of snips and install the bolt. Repeat for the other bolts. Very easy and safe.
Great tip on the zip ties. Presumably you could link shorter ones together to get the desired length. The floor jack was tricky because for some reason, I keep lifting it higher than needed when trying to align both sides and had to crawl out from under several times to lower the jack.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
gsMDoX said:

Yeah now that I am in Michigan noooowww they remove it ...:rolleyes: ..hopefully F1 CEO Bernie Ecclestone and Tony George can come to a freaking agreement for next year and bring it back...

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
eujinc said:

You must have a lot of space on your DVR. :D . I just make sure I get the season review at the end of the year. Although I do burn to DVD memorable races like Honda's first win in Hungary in '06 :29:.

I just delete most of the other nonsense that is there to make space for the races :p ..lol

1 - 20 of 50 Posts