Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all,

Had a little time this long Memorial Day weekend to spend with my true love - the MDX.

First of all thanks to everyone for their install tips and pics for replacing speakers. They really came in handy.

I have a base MDX with the NAV. The stock system was OK but just missing something.

I first replaced the door speakers with the Polk Audio dx6 speakers. These are 6.5" speakers and were a super easy replacement. Drilled new holes for the speaker and each one took less than 5 minutes to replace. I purchased the speaker connectors from Best Buy and they worked out perfect. Did not have to cut a single wire.

I will probably install some Dynmat this weekend. I have it at home but di dnot have a lot of time to spedn and basically wanted the speakers in.

Let me say that this was a 500% improvement in sound. The highs sound totally unreal and these speakers can also handle great bass. No more rattly bass from the doors.

My next step was to change out the subwoofer. The old one was pure crap and really nothing to it. To replace this I installed a Polk Audio GNX104 subwoofer. Made a little trim ring for it and you have to hear the bass now. This speaker is so effiicient and honestly brings the best out of the factory amp.

The subwoofer also uses the same speaker adapter as the front door speakers. The only catch was the door speakers had one big and one small spade connector (big for + and small for -) which worked perfect with the speaker adapter. The subwoofer's + and - were both big spade connectors. So I basically just snipped off the small one on the speaker adapter and added a big one so they are both the same. If you see the connector you will know what I mean.

I promise I will take loads of pics this week and post them

All's I can say is that the system really sounds awesome now and blows away the upgraded Bose system - of course that is my opinion.

Thanks for listening.

PS - I have an extra Subwoofer as they had a special if I purchased two of them. If anyone is interested I will sell for $75 including shipping and I will throw in a speaker adapter so it plugs right into the factory harness (the adapters come in pairs and onlyn needed one for my sub).

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My wife and I were in the car this morning and I played the Titanic DVD for her. She freaked out (and she is not into this at all and thinks it is a waste of time and money) when she heard the sound quality. It truly sounded like you were sitting in a theater.

I also had some custom work performed on the DVD install. I was so fed up with the RF connector through the FM Modulator. It did nothing for the sound.

I have the 6 disk changer under the drivers seat (thanks Tim) and the shop actually spliced into the cable from the disk changer to the radio and connected the DVD via RCA inputs to the radio. When I want to watch a movie (DVD) I basically play the CD changer, flip a small switch behind the radio (easily accessed from drivers seat) and the sound goes to the DVD player. The CD changer is actually playing in the background but yuo do not hear it at all. Thanks to the guys at Northern Auto Radio for the custom work. This mDX is truly a movie theater on wheels now.

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
The sytem sounds great, thanks for the ideas. I do have one question? What did you use to convert the DVD player signal and feed it into the Nav screen? The setup that you have is exactly what I want.
Thanks
Josh

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Greetings,

Regarding the video install, I did not splice into the nav screen. I really wanted to, and Ron at street effects offered to do it for me, but I just didn't want to touch the screen.

I have an overhead Audiovox which, believe it or not, has very good picture quality and I have a second monitor up front. It is a small 2.5 inch which I have mounted under the ashtray location. I can just push it into the little cubby hole under the ashtray if I need to open the ash tray (aka coin tray).

I will grab some pics once it stops raining here in NY.

Take care and please ask any more questions.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Mushman,

Did you have the problem with the DVD volume not being loud enough, especially when going through the RF modulator and even at Max volume? It's only with DVDs and not with MP3s/VCDs played from the same player.

If yes, is it still a problem after you've tapped into the CD-changer input?

Thanks a bunch...

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Mushman,
The factory holes don't line up for the Polk sub? You mentioned a trim ring. I would think you could drill additional holes if needed and just use Dynamat as a gasket. Would it be smart to line the cavity with Dynamat too?
I read somewhere on here the sub area has more sound insultation padding at the rear, on the '02 models.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Follow-Up

First of all the sound level went up a whole lot once I got the DVD player re-wired through an RCA via the CD Changer cable. The difference is extremely noticeable. Did not play that loud going through RF (DVD, Audio CD, or MP3). All play at excellent volumes now.

Regarding the Sub install. In my opinion you definitely need a trim ring. The Polk Audio subwoofer (or anyohter 10 inch) is just too small to fit the factory holes. It would be floating in space. Basically place the factory sub on a piece of wood or MDF and trave it out. Will look like a circle with 4 ears. I basically cut out the trim ring making the edge of the ears as my new circle. Could have cut fancy and made it the shape of the factory sub - but why. I iwll include a pic of the trim ring.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Mushman,
Did you replace all 4 door speakers and the tweeters? I'm a big Polk fan - have them for my home theatre system. I didn't see your door speaker model number on the Polk web site. They list the EX3560 component system, which includes the 6.5 inch mid/woofer and separate silk tweeter, which appear to fit the 'X.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Polk Speakers ROCK

The model for the door speakers is the dx6. If you go to their sites, click on a link for car audio then recent product library, then full range round and you will see the dx6. They must have discontinued these very recently. If you can find them somewhere, I highly recommend them.

I also use Polk Audio in my home as well. I have a kick ass system at home thanks to Polk.

I only changed the front door speakers and sub. I did not touch the tweeters. They sound fine and the tweets in the dx6 enhance the front highs.

The sub is sold. Many people contacted me and it is gone.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Mushman,
Picked up my 'X last week and it is time to get serious about the audio upgrade. After some consideration of replacing everything and installing new head unit, external amps and speakers, I have decided to go initially with only the speaker replacement and then external amp or amps maybe later. I like the OEM headunit configuration and indash CD changer better than I expected.

A couple questions for you. Did you install the Dynamat and did it make any difference? Did you make any kind of a box or enclosure for the new sub? What thickness of wood did you use for the sub mount? Are you satisfied with the power level of the OEM amps and is there any noticeable drop off in volume? Have you replaced the rear door speakers?

Thanks.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My Install

Regarding my install, I decided to only go with the speakers since it wasn't too expensive and it makes a workd of difference.

I only changed the front door speakers as well as the subwoofer.

Honestly, I did not install the Dynamat yet since I've bene busy but do plan on doing it this weekend.

I will check what thickness I used for the wood cutout for the sub. I think it was 3/4" but I will verify that. You need something at least since the OEM sub is shaped funny (at least the trim around it).

I did not get any volume drop, but more volume. I initially installed a 4 ohm Polk Audio (purchased 2 of them actually) but now I purchased the same speaker, the GNX10 in a 2 ohm version. Still sounds great but got more volume out of the sub. This is safe since the factory sub is 2 ohm.

If I get a chance this weekend, will take some pics of my audio setup.

Mush

1 - 14 of 14 Posts