Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
The best way is to use tapatalk on smartphone. The picture is really easy to see by others. Or you can attach photo. Look for a 'paper clip' icon.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Oh man, you worked on your MDX 11 times in about 6 months in 2017. That is a lot of work! Basically you got something done every two weeks!

I can see that you replaced the small piece of hose/tube in front of the PCV valve with your setup. Do you mind spelling out all the details? Like the ID, OD of the tubs you used, links for the brass fittings, and esp. the catch can yo used? I am puzzled that it is a Husky can. Have you made it yourself?

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I think this is best mod on the engine. Gonna do it soon on my mdx....
I have two of them on my Infinti

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
This is part of the EGR System, that oil does not affect anything and its normal to be sucked by the engine. There is also a secondary inlet on the rear of the manifold and directly in front of the throttle body it sucks exhaust gasses.

·
Banned
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is part of the EGR System, that oil does not affect anything and its normal to be sucked by the engine. There is also a secondary inlet on the rear of the manifold and directly in front of the throttle body it sucks exhaust gasses.

So are you saying that this mod does not help or improve anything? I thought this mod filter out the oil vapor from entering the manifold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
So are you saying that this mod does not help or improve anything? I thought this mod filter out the oil vapor from entering the manifold.

Cleaner valves, clean manifold. This mod is really beneficial for direct injection engines...

·
Banned
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok I changed the mini air filter. I don't like ones I bought from Home Depot because I couldn't remove the glass housing to empty the oil. So I went to harbor freight and got this. Very easy to remove the glass housing and half the price.

·
Registered
306 Posts

the engine is designed with a PCV system in place already to recycle these vapors, mostly for environmental reasons, and on a NA daily driven vehicle, thats always enough as these motors produce very little blow by. when you start adding boost and upping cyl pressures then you have to deal with extra blowby with another system, usually a catch can and thats basically what this is.

that being said if you're anal about engine cleanliness like me, this system when coupled with an EGR blockoff will keep the intake tract very clean. and for anyone doing this mod in the future, no you dont need another oil separator on the rear bank of cyl. that is the fresh air side, it draws filtered air in from the intake tube in front of the throttle body to replace the oil vapor that the manifold is drawing out of the crankcase on the front bank under vacuum, there is a flow, and taking the valve cover off will quickly show the rear cyl head as much "cleaner looking" than the front head. that's bc its the fresh air side and sees little to no vapor as a result of proper flow.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Would you explain EGR blockoff in detail? I am very interested and how do you fool the computers? Thanks.

the engine is designed with a PCV system in place already to recycle these vapors, mostly for environmental reasons, and on a NA daily driven vehicle, thats always enough as these motors produce very little blow by. when you start adding boost and upping cyl pressures then you have to deal with extra blowby with another system, usually a catch can and thats basically what this is.

that being said if you're anal about engine cleanliness like me, this system when coupled with an EGR blockoff will keep the intake tract very clean. and for anyone doing this mod in the future, no you dont need another oil separator on the rear bank of cyl. that is the fresh air side, it draws filtered air in from the intake tube in front of the throttle body to replace the oil vapor that the manifold is drawing out of the crankcase on the front bank under vacuum, there is a flow, and taking the valve cover off will quickly show the rear cyl head as much "cleaner looking" than the front head. that's bc its the fresh air side and sees little to no vapor as a result of proper flow.

·
Registered
306 Posts
EGR is another emissions reduction system in which some of the unburnt products of combustion get cycled back through the combustion process, thereby totally burning anything that was leftover from the first cycle. EGR has a valve that operates to open the system and recycle the exhaust gasses back through the system under certain conditions, usually an RPM parameter (never WOT or idle). the gas is cooled on its path back to the cylinder and reduces the concentration of available O2 for combustion, so the ECU doesn't need to add as much fuel to the mix to achieve stoich. this is why the valve is only recirculating gas at cruising speeds, when fuel economy is valued and power isn't needed. at WOT the valve will close because you want all the O2 available for combustion and richer conditions. there are ppl that say you should keep the valve on to reduce knock but lets face it, if you are knocking at light cruise partial throttle then you have bigger problems.

there is a Ktuner system available for the MDX which would allow you to turn off the EGR monitoring system and not set the MIL. this would let u replace the valve with a plate and always keep it closed. this is beneficial for cleanliness bc if you've ever seen the bottom of an EGR you will notice the carbon buildup on the valve, if you aren't recycling that through the intake it will remain a little cleaner. you would also still pass emissions bc EGR is a readiness monitor and provided all other readiness monitors are set you are allowed to have one not set and still pass. at least where im from you can haha. prob not cali.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
There is also a secondary pcv intake on the rear valve cover.. So it needs another catch can.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Where? The hose running from the rear cover connects before the throttle plate right? So it never sees vacuum w the plate closed as the front bank does. The only time this side would ever see any flow would be under low vac conditions (wot) bc the vapors from blowby would be less influenced to the front bank due to the decreased vacuum from the manifold drawing them there.

·
Banned
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Looking good! Just imagine if that was going back through ur intake mani! No thanks!

This oil was entering the manifold before the mod and that was why my front spark plugs were the way they were and why are you saying no? If you look inside the manifold this flow-by oil vapor is sucking into the combustion chamber.

·
Registered
306 Posts
The intake manifold will distribute any blowby through the pcv evenly across the cylinders. Also the amount of blowby the pcv circulates shouldn’t be enough to cause plug problems. If you have oil consumption btw changes then you may be producing excessive blowby the pcv system wasn’t designed to handle. How long did it take for you to accumulate the amount of oil inside the glass?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts