Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone have the pdf file for the instructions of how to install the rear splash guards ?

i'm having problems....it looked simple ??

jeff
:confused:

·
Registered
143 Posts
Jeff...

What problem(s) are you having?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah, i think i know how it works, but like in that thread, i'm having a problem with the existing screw, the short one.

it won't screw back in with the additional layer from the splash guard. i presume the long screw, the one that came with the splash guards goes in the lower unpunched hole (w/ the dimple)

but i chatted with tim and he said the long screw goes on the "inside" and I don't know what that means.

how hard is it to jack the car up and remove the wheels ?

jeff

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
JLee said:
yeah, i think i know how it works, but like in that thread, i'm having a problem with the existing screw, the short one.

it won't screw back in with the additional layer from the splash guard. i presume the long screw, the one that came with the splash guards goes in the lower unpunched hole (w/ the dimple)

but i chatted with tim and he said the long screw goes on the "inside" and I don't know what that means.

how hard is it to jack the car up and remove the wheels ?

jeff
It's not hard and it makes the job a lot easier. Plus it's good to get familiar with the jack system before you really need it. I found that the jack was installed quite 'securely' the first time I took it out...

·
Registered
161 Posts
Rear splash guards

JLee,

Yes, I had the same problem. One of the short screws could not be screwed back into its original position. I used the long screw that came with the splash guard instead and used the short screw where the longer screw was suppose to have been used. I also asked Tim about this, he suggested buying longer screws. I also asked about additional gaskets for the original short screws and he said to get them from hardware store, however, the screws may not screw in with the extra spacing needed. Just buy longer screws.

I didn't need to take off the wheels. I bought a rachet screw driver set from Orchard Supply Hardware (Craftman's brand) for about $10. It made it very easy.

If the original screws were longer. The install would have been much faster. (Wouldn't have to fool around trying to force the screw back in)

·
Registered
12 Posts
I did exactly what Marfong said and it worked fine. I also did it without taking the wheel off. No problems and finished it in only a few minutes. I think it is well secured as is.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Magwich said:
I did exactly what Marfong said and it worked fine. I also did it without taking the wheel off. No problems and finished it in only a few minutes. I think it is well secured as is.
The long screw is supposed to replace the short screw at the top. The short screw that came out of the top goes into the bottom. Remember to put the clip over the dimpled screw location with the spring clip facing out. This applies pressure to the self tapping screw that sends it through the metal easily. Only issue is finding a stubby phillips screw driver that's short enough to fit between the wheel and the screw. Another approach is to use a ratchet wrench with a phillips bit. Installation is really very easy.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I did the same thing spacedoc and the others had done, I used the long screw to replace the short screw at the top. The short screw that came out went into the bottom with the metal clip covering the hole. I have a Chapman Midget Ratchet wrench with a phillips bit made for tight places and used an automatic center punch tool to punch through the dimple for the bottom hole (many people in FL now have these in their glove compartments to shatter glass in case their car goes over one of the causeways (The Keys). I just use it for a starting point for drilling(like it was made for) and it punched through the dimple after 3 pushes on the heavy setting. The installation was really very easy, and took exactly 6 min 10 sec (my daughter timed me- because I told her it would take 5 minutes-I knew teaching her to tell time would be a mistake..). NO removal of the tire is necessary and the rear splash guards are just as secure as the front.

You can pick up the Champan Rachet Set here.

The auto center punch tool can be found here.

Enjoy!!!:D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
7 Participants
Sandman
Acura MDX SUV Forums
Acura MDXers Forum - a community where enthusiasts discuss engines, tires, service and everything you need to know about the MDX!
Full Forum Listing