Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unfortunately I don't have any pics to go with this post, but I'll describe it well. It's easy the way I did it.
I wanted to put my dual band Icom IC-207H ham radio in my 2001 MDX. I had a good Idea about routing the antenna cable from the roof to the radio. I ran it via the back door on the driver's side and then bought some cable clips like would be used in home theatre at Lowe's and used them rather than try to take off the plastic from the door pillar. I then ran the cable under the seat to the lower plastic panel on the console (came loose easily) and up to the "not an ashtray" area and routed the cable to where the radio would be. Anywhere that would rub, I used split loom tubing to protect things. Then I bought an Amplifier wiring kit at Walmart and ran the wiring from the battery up to where the hood and front quarter panel meet to extend to the driver's door. I used split loom tubing to protect the 8 gauge wire from battery into the area under the dash. It was there, that I used a wire nut to connect the radio's positive wire to connect to the larger wire (It will also hold the CB radio positive later as well) and then I taped it and slid it in the tubing and taped it again. I then ran the negative wire to one of the bolts that holds the gas pedal and used a ring lug to connect the wire and put the nut back on after taping the lug and wire. Then I placed the two wires with the power connector on it in split loom tubing to protect it and ran that through the space I found behind/under the "not an ashtray." I plugged the radio power connector to the car wire connector, screwed on the antenna PL259 connector to the radio and slid it in the cubby in front of the shifter. It fit perfectly. When I got done, the only wiring seen is the antenna cable as it comes into the SUV from the roof and goes down to the floor area and the split loom tubing you see when the driver's door is open. I have had no trouble with rubbing anywhere or ruined split loom indicating trouble, nor any trouble under the hood. All is working well. I have a fuse holder at the battery that is part of the amp kit's wiring (preinstalled), it holds a 25 amp fuse (required) to handle both radios, and will die if a short occurs at any point. Had same situation on my 2002 Taurus and it was wired and such same way for 3 3/4 years with no trouble. Again, sorry I didn't get pics, but feel free to ask any questions and I'll answer them best I can. :smile2:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,255 Posts
I'd like to see pics of the install, I've never seen a 2m setup in an MDX. By the way, seems I'm always up in Dayton right around the time of the Hamvention, but I always miss it due to other goings on

N2LCJ :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Radio Install

Let me take a picture real quick. :smile2:

Kaci
KC8PGR

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts