Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered the 4100k xenon HID headlamps from the acuramdx.org group buy running through autolamps-online.com for $454 delivered.

Once you order them you are required to return a signed disclaimer to them via FAX. The disclaimer basically says that you acknowledge that the HID lights are for off road purposes only in USA. They have a fax in England which is a bit of a hassle but you get an additional $5 credit for the long distance charge.

The entire installation took about 1 hour 15 minutes. It is relatively straight forward. Most of the time is spent getting everything seated correctly and secured in the engine compartment.

One important note to everyone who attempts this installation. The 9006 connector from the supplied wiring harness that attaches to the OEM halogen bulb connector must be connected in reverse. This connection activates the switch in the supplied wiring harness that causes the ballasts to fire lighting the xenon bulbs. Apparently the MDX setup for the bulb connector is the opposite of most other cars. In this connection the red (positive) lead of the OEM halogen bulb connector must connect to the black (negative) of the 9006 connector of the supplied wiring harness. I then fixed the connection solidly with a zip tie and electrical tape. Also note that you may have to spread the male prongs slightly on the 9006 connector of the supplied wiring harness to fit into the female OEM halogen bulb connector.

The rest fits very well. I mounted the ballasts in place on a shelf that is about 6 inches below each headlamp in the engine compartment. I also zip tied these securely through two holes on the forward lip of this self.

Also note that you have to re-enter the navi and radio codes after you reconnect the battery.

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
I thought I would just add to this thread. I ordered my HID kit from hid-online.com (make sure and use the dash!) which is AKA autolamps-online.com. I went back and forth between this kit and a Catz kit. I decided on this one based on the Philips components, warranty and all of the good "press" I have read about this company on the web.

I ordered the 4100K kit. It took about 10 days to get the kit. I had to wait for them to replenish their ballast stock and Memorial Day fell in this time frame.

They no longer have the waiver you need to sign and they no longer require ID to use a credit card. Just a normal internet order. The kit shipped was $461. I have heard of others having to pay customs duty on the kit, but I had no problems.

The install was pretty straight forward, but hrdtsk is right, you need to switch the 9006 connector (thanks hrdtsk!). I am still waiting on some plastic boxes to put the ballasts in to make them more water resistant.

The results are amazing! It looked like one of these bulbs is equivalent to both of the stock halogens! hid-online also sent me a set of Philips BlueVision 9005s for the highs. Honestly, I don't notice any difference between the stock 9005s and the BlueVisions. I don't think I will be using the highs much after having the HIDs installed!

Here are some before and after pics:

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
A shot of the halogen cut off/hotspots taken earlier in the evening.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
HID cut off/hot spot. It looks like the hot spots are actually lower on the HID!

Attachments

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
Halogen on the road (BEFORE):

Attachments

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
HID on the road (AFTER):

Attachments

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Hi Phins2rt:

___The Halogen vs. HID before and after pics on the street are the best comparison shots I have seen yet! Nice job. Do you have any pics showing how you tied the ballasts to the lower shelf with Zip Ties? That sounds very secure vs. the double stick to wherever in the engine compartment many have used for their own HID installations.

___Also, did your kit grab its initial charge through an included battery harness or through your OEM wiring harness? From everything I have read, the battery connection appears to be almost mandatory?

___Thanks again for the comparison pics.

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email protected]

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
Hi xcel,
I am still waiting for my plastic boxes to arrive to further "waterproof" the ballasts. Right now they are just sticky taped on.

This kit includes a harness, which I used. The Catz kit (like the McCulloch) do not have external relays as they are built in to the ballasts/igniters.

I will try and get some pics when the ballasts are finished.

Hope this helps!:D

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
They look awesome!!!! Once you've had them you can't go back. Now install a more powerful fog light and you're set. The Piaa Ion Plasma look good with the yellowish color they put off and much brighter than stock bulb.

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
Hi paul123,
Thanks for the compliment. I have the same 2500K fogs as you. Although I'm not sure how much I will use either the highs or fogs with these HIDs!!:D

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
phins2rt said:
Hi paul123,
Thanks for the compliment. I have the same 2500K fogs as you. Although I'm not sure how much I will use either the highs or fogs with these HIDs!!:D
I personally like the way the Hid light up the distant view and the Ion Plasma light up the close area's of the MDX. It makes a "Nice Sandwich"

:2: :18:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Whick Kit?

DaleB which HID kit did you install?

Can anyone post a comparison of various HID kits for the MDX?

The HID-online.com site does not list MDX as a model. Which model should one order?

Cheers,

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
Re: Whick Kit?

MarylandMDX said:
DaleB which HID kit did you install?

Can anyone post a comparison of various HID kits for the MDX?

The HID-online.com site does not list MDX as a model. Which model should one order?

Cheers,
You'll need the 9006 kit for the lows or fogs and the 9005 kit for the highs. Most people just do the lows but there are some that go all out!

Any 9006 kit will work for the lows. You just need to do some research and figure out which kit is best for you. There are a lot of shady dealers out there when it comes to HIDs. Don't be swayed by price alone!:D

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
I finally got around to installing my ballasts in a psuedo waterproof environment. I got this idea from another forum hope it works out.

I purchased these boxes from partsexpress.com:

Attachments

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
The boxes were just a bit too narrow due to some grooves that are on the inside of the box. I went ahead and used them anyway. I cut a couple of holes for the wires. You can see that the box bows a little because it isn't wide enough.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
Here is the completed box. I ran silicone around the openings and screwed the top of the box in place. I used some zip ties to help with the bowing of the box. I placed the boxes on the shelves below the lights with more zip ties and some industrial velcro. So far so good. I think this should go a long way in keeping water away from the ballasts.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts