Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am finding a way to install the cable for rear dashcam via weather boot, but no luck.
i was able to make it works on MDX 2020, but not on 2022.

Anyone already succeeded to wiring cable for rear dashcam for 2022 ?

Thank you.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I’m dealing with the same issue. I’m going to take another crack at it today. Right now I’m thinking of mounting it on the hard part of the headliner near the rear window.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
You might want to consider what I did on my 3rd gen - I installed a standalone dashcam on the rear window and just ran the power cable for it to the accessory outlet that's in the back on the side there. It's all really unobtrusive and was very simple to install and didn't require messing with a headliner, etc. I actually have a dashcam in the front that's a dual cam type but I left the second cam, along with the long cable, in the box unused and went with an independent cam. They're cheap enough that it's not an issue.

·
Registered
974 Posts
You might want to consider what I did on my 3rd gen - I installed a standalone dashcam on the rear window and just ran the power cable for it to the accessory outlet that's in the back on the side there. It's all really unobtrusive and was very simple to install and didn't require messing with a headliner, etc. I actually have a dashcam in the front that's a dual cam type but I left the second cam, along with the long cable, in the box unused and went with an independent cam. They're cheap enough that it's not an issue.
I did it this way too on my 2022. I used those wire clips with the 3M adhesive to route the cable. It worked well. But in the end I took it down because thieves in this area freak when they see a rear dash cam and smash the rear window to grab the camera. They are not expecting rear cams. They expect the front dash cams and keep out of view of them but the rear cams catch them off guard because it is hidden behind smoked glass. Your thoughts? Am I being too paranoid?

·
Registered
100 Posts
I did it this way too on my 2022. I used those wire clips with the 3M adhesive to route the cable. It worked well. But in the end I took it down because thieves in this area freak when they see a rear dash cam and smash the rear window to grab the camera. They are not expecting rear cams. They expect the front dash cams and keep out of view of them but the rear cams catch them off guard because it is hidden behind smoked glass. Your thoughts? Am I being too paranoid?
I guess it just depends on where you live. I’ve had a rear camera for years and never had a problem. They’re pretty hard to see with the tinted windows as well.

·
Registered
974 Posts
I guess it just depends on where you live. I’ve had a rear camera for years and never had a problem. They’re pretty hard to see with the tinted windows as well.
My city is out of control with zombie drug addicts commiting crimes. I live downtown and really need to move to the suburbs.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
...thieves in this area freak when they see a rear dash cam and smash the rear window to grab the camera. They are not expecting rear cams. They expect the front dash cams and keep out of view of them but the rear cams catch them off guard because it is hidden behind smoked glass. Your thoughts? Am I being too paranoid?
If they're trying to steal the dashcam then they'd go for the front ones as well so there's nothing lost in having a rear one. I don't know why they'd worry about the view of the front dashcam if they're just going to steal it anyway - they'd just end up with a pic of themselves - unless you have a fancy cloud connected cam that pushes clips to where you can get them remotely. Mine's more basic and just stores the video on a memory card.

The rear dashcam on mine is actually difficult to even notice with the tinting there and since the window usually has dust on it, it's even more obscured. Someone would really need to be looking for it to see it but if your crazed zombies are looking through the rear window to see if you have any goodies in the way back to steal, they might see the cam.

I basically don't worry about it. When it's in my driveway I think it's very safe. When I'm at a store or traveling and parking in random places I still don't worry about it. If they want to steal it they will but each dashcam was only around $100 so it's not that big of a deal but a broken window would bother me more than the loss of the cams.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I hope it works for you.
waiting your result.
I managed to get the rear camera installed today. I couldn’t find a way to run the cable to the hatch so I attached it to the headliner. I provided some details in the following post. I hope it helps.

·
Registered
974 Posts
I managed to get the rear camera installed today. I couldn’t find a way to run the cable to the hatch so I attached it to the headliner. I provided some details in the following post. I hope it helps.

Would love to see some video from your rear cam to see the angle and what it looks like through the smoked glass at night and during the day.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Most of the trim pieces are fastened with clips. You can pull gently and they let go. You can also get plastic trim removal tools to get between tight pieces without damaging the trim. I got mine on Amazon. The rubber pieces in the pictures above just pull away.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts