Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I have only had our 2001 MDX for a little over a month now. I just finished up the audio/video install, pretty much. Here is what I have got in it. I am going to take some pics this week and post them.

Eclipse 7002 indash motorized screen
Eclipse 5122 12 disc changer
Playstation 2 (waiting for it to come in)
MTX 6304 4 channel amp
MTX 6500d mono amp
Image Dynamics CTX 54 components
Kicker 10" L7 in Kicker sealed box

The 7002 is mounted in the dash with a custom trim ring. The changer is under the driver's seat. The amps are both installed in the rear headrest storage area. I made custom aluminum rings to mount the Image's in the doors. I would like to put the sub in the factory spot and seal it up but, I think it is too deep. Pics coming. Let me know what you think so far.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Sounds great;) Where do you intend to place the PS2?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually, I might just set it in the back floorboard. The heavy duty rubber floor mats make a great shock support. Since it will not be used that much, I am thinking just a temp install. The Eclipse brain is mounted under the passenger seat and the a/v cable is right there. We used a friend's ps2 on a recent trip and hooked it up this way. His 18 year old son played spiderman from the back seat and said the screen was great in the dash. We watched The Fast and Furious on the way back and it was pretty good. Problem was, I did not have my amps or sub in at that time so the sound was stock. Anyway, if I do a permanent mount, I will probably relocate the brain for the 7002 and mount the ps2 under the seat. A quick eject and the tray would easily be reachable. Any other ideas where to put it would be great. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
My PS2 is also not a permanent mount. But a good place I have found for it is under the driver's seat but in the back of it, where the left passenger would put his feet. What I have done is take out the "plastic footrest" that easily pops off, and that space an additional 2 inches of depth. The PS2 fits right under there and is pretty much out of the way for the passenger.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
One more option would be to install it this way, but in the back of the center console. That would be really neat;)

Attachments

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The PS2 would not fit in the dash of the MDX without taking the PS2 apart, would it? I saw your post on this a few days ago and would love to do it. Not very stealth though. I guess with the tray closed, maybe you could not see it very well.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Yes, you'd have to take it apart. How about in the center console in the second row and not up front, below the rear A/C controls??

·
Registered
327 Posts
I had put this on another thread, but thought it might get more attention from audiophiles here!

MDXtrous,
I have an SS/Touring/Nav on order and am considering replacing the the entire sound system, with new Alpine tuner headunit , Alpine in-dash DVD player, external Precision Power amps, Boston Acoustics speakers and subwoofer and XM tuner.

My installer (Myer-Emco, a highly reputable company in the Washington, DC area) has a concern that maybe you can address. The OEM Nav system apparently runs its audio through the Bose headunit. The installer is concerned that replacing the headunit might adversely affect the Nav audio or other aspects of the Nav system; and that cutting into the Nav wiring might void the Acura Nav warranty. This applies also to running the DVD video into the Nav unit.

I haven't been able to find this issue addressed in other threads and would appreciate your insight.

Thanks and congrats on the great system you have.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
R Stevens said:
I had put this on another thread, but thought it might get more attention from audiophiles here!

MDXtrous,
I have an SS/Touring/Nav on order and am considering replacing the the entire sound system, with new Alpine tuner headunit , Alpine in-dash DVD player, external Precision Power amps, Boston Acoustics speakers and subwoofer and XM tuner.

My installer (Myer-Emco, a highly reputable company in the Washington, DC area) has a concern that maybe you can address. The OEM Nav system apparently runs its audio through the Bose headunit. The installer is concerned that replacing the headunit might adversely affect the Nav audio or other aspects of the Nav system; and that cutting into the Nav wiring might void the Acura Nav warranty. This applies also to running the DVD video into the Nav unit.

I haven't been able to find this issue addressed in other threads and would appreciate your insight.

Thanks and congrats on the great system you have.

http://www.acuramdx.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5908

1 - 9 of 9 Posts