Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced my rear turn signals with red APC LED 1157 bulbs. I also replaced the door courtesy lights with PIAA Extreme White 168 bulbs. Here are a few pictures.

Stock with the light off:

APC with the light off. Take note of the absence of the yellow tint from the amber bulb. This is the main reason I replaced them; I love the clean look of red and clear tail lights:

Stock blinking:

APC blinking. It wasn't very bright in this picture, it was still bright outside but it was actually "blinding" when viewed directly behind the vehicle:

Here's a link to the small mpeg file of the hazard lights blinking. I'm not sure if this will work; this is the first time that I linked to a video file from my album. Click the Download button:

http://www.imagestation.com/video/play.html?id=4237122672

Stock courtesy lights. The front is an old PIAA Super White and the rear is stock:

PIAA Extreme White 168 bulbs:

I also replaced the interior lights. I wasn't able to take any decent pictures of them but I know you all have seen them before from other MDXs. For comparison, here's a picture from my Integra:

Another shot with the lens cover on. Both bulbs are PIAAs:

I'm extremely satisfied with the outcome. Though, I'm concerned that the bulbs might burn the plastic lens after extended use. I've seen it before where the spot next to the bulb turned brown and cracked. The stock bulbs are rated 3-5 watts while the PIAAs are 8-10 watts. Any of you run into this potential problem before?

GSRpilot

·
Registered
67 Posts
Very nice!! Can you please tell me what bulbs are you using for the dome light? Is it also the PIAA 168 bulbs? Also, where are you getting these bulbs from?

Thanks,

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the compliment!

The front and midlle row dome lights for the MDX are 168s. The trunk and tail gate lights are T6s. The tail gate lights are actually smaller in diameter but the T6s fit just fine. The Integra's are all T6s.

I got them from autosupermart.com for about $11 a pair. But you can find them from other places; they just happen to carry the relay I need for my fog lights. To save on shipping, I went ahead and order all of them at the same time. And their prices weren't bad at all either. (No endorsement intended)

GSRpilot

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Hi GSRpilot:

___I really like your PIAA’s in the doors and map positions. Please keep us updated on the longer term prognosis on the off-chance the bulbs burn the plastic coverings. That would make this mod a no go but I am glad someone was willing to risk it. The results clearly show that you have created a better lighting solution.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email protected]

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have replaced my door light bulbs with PIAA super white LED wedge bulbs (168). The ceiling bulbs were replaced with regular PIAA super white bulbs too. So that my back up camera had better lighting with the car in reverse, I replace my rear back up bulbs with PIAA xtreme white bulbs. It is a noticeable difference.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
swfongdds, how are the 168 LEDs compared to the Extreme and Super Whites?

I also bought a pair of APC amber 168 and 1157 LEDs and tried it on my Integra but it didn't come out the way I expected it to be. I might be hooking them up incorrectly, but both were significantly dimmer than the Super White PIAAs I currently have. I guess I could use them on the X if I decide to change back to "amber theme" on my doors and turn signals.

xcel, I'll keep you posted if anything goes wrong with my lens covers.

GSRpilot

·
Registered
8,866 Posts
Nice install. . .

·
Registered
67 Posts
Can someone please shine some light into the differences between PIAA LED, Xtreme white, Super White and White bulbs? I went up to their web site, but very poor description was written. TIA.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
2002 Acura MDX, APC has the amber 1157 LEDs also. I just preferred the red to be different and also to match my Integra's all red tail. :)

tnguyenmdc, the Extreme is brighter and whiter than the Super Whites as you can see on the (door) pictures I posted. But I have not seen the LEDs yet.

GSRpilot

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
According to Sylvania website, the MDX's front blinker requires a 3497 bulb. I have not removed the bulb from the socket yet so I don't know if they're the same as the 1157. I wasn't planning on replacing them since they're covered with amber lens anyway. Based on previous experience, I didn't gain any significant difference in brightness after I replaced the stock bulb with an aftermarket one. It was both on 1157 and 168 bulbs in a colored housing.

GSRpilot

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
GSRpilot said:
According to Sylvania website, the MDX's front blinker requires a 3497 bulb. I have not removed the bulb from the socket yet so I don't know if they're the same as the 1157. I wasn't planning on replacing them since they're covered with amber lens anyway. Based on previous experience, I didn't gain any significant difference in brightness after I replaced the stock bulb with an aftermarket one. It was both on 1157 and 168 bulbs in a colored housing.

GSRpilot
Maybe you're right :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just checked the front turn signal bulb. It looks like a 1156 bulb. APC lists their LED bulb as a replacement for OEM part numbers: 1156, 3497, 1073, 1141, 12498, 7506, 12496. I'm assuming they are all interchangeable.

I hope this helps...
GSRpilot

·
Registered
44 Posts
The PIAA 168 led's that I put in my doors are the white led's. They still have a bluish hue to them. The xtreme whites definitely have more light output than the led's and are more of a pure white with only a slight blue hue. Xtreme whites usually are around 4150k. I actually used 3 different PIAA bulbs. I will check exactly which ones I used in each location and post another reply. For my fog and high beams, I used the PIAA Spark Blue 8000k bulbs from Japan.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the response, swfongdds. Where did you get the Spark Blue? I haven't seen them from any internet retailers I've visited.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi GSRpilot, I picked up two sets of the PIAA Spark Blue bulbs off of e-bay for about $85 per set. They are presently only available in Japan and not sold in the US. They come in either 7500k or 8000k, a real intense white blue color. For the MDX, get the HB size which comes with 2 o-rings so they fit either a 9006 or 9005 application. The person, [email protected](786), ships to the US for about $10 and is very prompt and careful in shipping the bulbs. If you do an internet search, there are US companies that have the PIAA Spark Blue bulbs, but not the HB size unfortunately.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I hoping to replaced mine next month...tnx for the pic!:2: :2: :2:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks, swfongdds! I'll check ebay and I'll check with my former coworkers who are currently in Japan, too. I'll let you guys know if I could get a better deal.

joelusa, no problem. Good luck on your future install.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Piaa Spark Blue

Try optauto.com and sigmaautomotive.com
They both carry Piaa Spark Blue in various bulb sizes:eek:

:4: :4:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts