Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The inner tail light /reverse light will not light up.

Drivers Side - Acura MDX 2014-2017 Inner Tail lights Tailgate

A few months ago I did have some body work completed just above the chrome garnish that spans the space between the inner taillights. Garage door incident. So I am not sure if the body shop could be responsible for the side that is out or not. I am not usually behind my MDX to see those lights. But what I have found is that on the Driver's side, there is no Parking light, and when put into reverse there is no White reverse light that comes on. Its almost like the wires were disconnected. But they are not. I checked out a bunch of things this evening before posting this, so I am informed. I have about 13.8V in the small white plug that goes (to more wiring that goes somewhere I can not see) to the parking lights (I believe these are LEDs). The other gray harness that goes directly to the 7440 (T20 W21W) bulb does not light up when put into reverse, but I do get at least 13.08V when checking for voltage.

Swapped in a new 7440 bulb and checking Parking Lights, no good. Wasn't able to check reverse lights, everyone is in bed.

Is the Parking Light dependent on the Reverse light??? I am sitting here almost going nuts because everything I have tried goes against what I think. What am I overlooking?

Lets get this fixed! Looked over Youtube and didn't find any videos that involved the inner tails.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Sometimes if you rotate the 7440 bulb 180 degree it will work.

You don't have to have another person to check reverse lights. What I do is put on parking brake, press start button twice without stepping on brake (ie not starting engine), then put transmission in "R". The car won't move and it will beeps, but all will be back to normal when you done and put tranny back to "P".

Can you take one of the inner light (either side) out and test it on the other side? Both parking light and reverse light plugs are the same both side. If the light itself is bad, I don't imaging it too expensive to find on eBay.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick response!

I was thinking of swapping the Parking lights last night. I had all the bolts and fasteners out but found 1 more buried deep towards the middle that I couldn't access unless I got the rear panel removed. I did just find an extra 7440 and swapped that in, and magically the reverse lights work. I pulled the bulb last night and tested resistance, and seemed good, oh well.

Parking light still not working though.
If anyone has any wise words on removing that, I am all ears. Very cold out and don't want to break any plastic!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I tried to reply to your post a few ago. So I apologize if this is a duplicate. I also had this problem this evening. I realize that I had no parking lamps. This includes some bulbs below the navigation and heat control, no license lamps and no front Amber lamps in the corners. So after trouble shooting a bit I found the “small” fuse that is what it is labeled in the fuse box under the hood. Maybe number “22” don’t quote me on the fuse number. I found that my left rear gate mounted lamp is bad. The reverse lamp is indedent of that circuit and does work even though I have no other lamps in the back. I have unplugged that lamp and replaced the fuse and everything else works. So a quick trouble shoot would be to unplug the lamps in the rear. Replace the fuse and plug them back in one at a time. When the fuse pops then you have found your problem. I have an aftermarket warranty, but I didn’t want to drive around without any lamps until I can get it into the shop. I hope this helps you a little. With this being a sealed LED unit it needs replaced and not just a bulb.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I had the same issue about 6 months into ownership on my 2014 MDX. Dealer replaced the entire unit, said some of them just are not assembled properly. Not sure how old your MDX was when this happened, but if still under warranty, the dealer can replace the whole light unit.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Hmm I've seen a couple of these out near me. I guess it's a pretty common issue then.. luckily only about $100 on eBay but then.. would they work? And for how long? Eesh.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
49 Posts
Same here. My left rear taillight (the one on the tailgate) is out. :crying2:

My Acura dealer parts department suggested that before ordering the new assembly ($115!), to have a mechanic take a look to make sure it's not just the bulb in there that's causing this. My mechanic tried but he couldn't even get behind the assembly properly without possibly damaging / cracking the assembly. It seems the tailgate panel needs also has to be removed? :headshake

Is that what the 'Clip release tool' (07AAE-TZ5A100) is for?

Any feedback will be much appreciated.

Thanks for the help.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Is that what the 'Clip release tool' (07AAE-TZ5A100) is for?
That tool allows the removal of clips that cannot be directly accessed. It is used for parts of the tailgate.

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
That tool allows the removal of clips that cannot be directly accessed. It is used for parts of the tailgate.
Oh, I see. Yeah the mechanic had a similar tool already. I guess that is needed for the DIY folks. Still the mechanic couldn't fully get the taillight to come out. He said it's not possible without removing the tailgate panel - does that sound about right? A part of the taillight is behind the silver garnish that runs above the license plate from one taillight to the other.

If I do end up ordering a new taillight assembly (do I have another choice?) ... is there an easier way to remove/replace the taillight that the mechanic didn't realize?

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Oh, I see. Yeah the mechanic had a similar tool already. I guess that is needed for the DIY folks. Still the mechanic couldn't fully get the taillight to come out. He said it's not possible without removing the tailgate panel - does that sound about right? A part of the taillight is behind the silver garnish that runs above the license plate from one taillight to the other.

If I do end up ordering a new taillight assembly (do I have another choice?) ... is there an easier way to remove/replace the taillight that the mechanic didn't realize?
There is a nut (#24 in diagram) that has to be removed. Did he remove that?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Do any of the parts sites include a print off for installation, sort of like the oem Accessorizes? I am still wanting to see instruction on how to remove the large plastic panel on the inside of the tailgate.

Great questions, most of them were ones I would have asked. Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Having this issue now in my '16 MDX, Drivers side tailgate light assembly...the reverse light works but the parking light is out...Anybody have any luck yet with this in a DIY manner...I saw the post above about looking at the fuse boxes and I have tried that with no success. For someone who is pretty car/tech savvy these fuse descriptions seem like they are written in some kind off secret honda/acura acronym hieroglyphic language. Its absolutely ridiculous, even had an electrician neighbor take a look to no avail....If anyone sees this and has a remedy you would be a life saver...Im already going on about 5k in unneccesary fixes on this 2016 mdx....HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!

·
Registered
1,952 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, my replacement inner tail light has died on me again! But before it was totally dead, it did intermittently work and not work at least 2 times. I need to get to the bottom of this!

So I now own 2 lenses that have LED lights that don’t work. Seems pretty ridiculous.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So I decided to try and oven bake my bad tail light I already had off the MDX. The original bad one. This experience was nowhere what baking headlights ever had been.

The red lens just did not want to release other than where it never really had a seal. This is why my inner tail failed. It let in moisture and let the LED board corrode.

I have a real problem plucking down my hard earned cash to continue buying lights if I know this issue is not resolved. The same issue will hit every set of lights unless Acura does something to remedy this.

Anyone’s thoughts on how to approach Acura to give me a little help in trying to fix this issue?

P.s. I don’t look forward to taking the whole rear hatch plastic apart again.

Attachments

·
Registered
759 Posts
So I decided to try and oven bake my bad tail light I already had off the MDX. The original bad one. This experience was nowhere what baking headlights ever had been.

The red lens just did not want to release other than where it never really had a seal. This is why my inner tail failed. It let in moisture and let the LED board corrode.

I have a real problem plucking down my hard earned cash to continue buying lights if I know this issue is not resolved. The same issue will hit every set of lights unless Acura does something to remedy this.

Anyone’s thoughts on how to approach Acura to give me a little help in trying to fix this issue?

P.s. I don’t look forward to taking the whole rear hatch plastic apart again.
Wow! You may have identified why so many folks are having this same issue.
Call American Honda and open a case and supply they with your photos - they are very responsive.

Try cleaning the corrosion with vinegar and see if you can get it back to life. I frequently have that issue with my Bose noise canceling head phones where the air pressure of an airplane causes moisture to enter the battery compartment and corroded the leads. I clean it with vinegar and it’s all good. I’ve complained to Bose about it and it seems it’s airplane affected because never any issue when not on a plane. But Bose didn’t seem to care.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts