Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just called up the Acura Navigation upgrade line (1-888 549-3798)and they told me that they have heard a few things about the next version of the DVD for the 2001/2002 MDX:

1. It will be released in mid-February.
2. There will be less than 2% additional increase in the coverage areas. Areas that are improved are: Lake Placid; Albany, New York; Syracuse, New York; Charleston, West Virginia; and Flint, Michigan.

I asked about new features and they didn't have any information. Likewise they didn't have any information on 3-D effects or any other software updates. The person I spoke with was curious if the 2003 DVD would work in a 2002 MDX as they have heard that the 2003 DVD isn't supposed to be backward compatible, but I was told that there's no way to know until it's been tried.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Well, that's disheartening - what about this nationwide coverage in two years? Not to mention the fact that they don't seem to know a whole lot...

And who the heck would want to drive around Flint anyway? Back when I lived in that part of the world it was always open season on foreign cars. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
I know it is still in the speculation stage but that is definately unacceptable in my opinion. I don't care about the 3-D and voice featues. I want coverage and POI. Why would they wait till February for a pathetic increase? Heck I think I drive 2% non-digitized roads on my way to work.Will wait and see.:cool:

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Southpark I'm hoping that the information you received is not correct. If it is I'll be pi..ed.:mad:

How could the new 7Mil POI not be on the updated navi disc if it is a feature as advertised on the 2003 Honda Accord & MDX?:confused:

How come its release has been delayed if only a 2% increase in coverage being offered?

·
Registered
344 Posts
BaldEagle said:
Southpark I'm hoping that the information you received is not correct. If it is I'll be pi..ed.:mad:

How could the new 7Mil POI not be on the updated navi disc if it is a feature as advertised on the 2003 Honda Accord & MDX?:confused:

How come its release has been delayed if only a 2% increase in coverage being offered?
It is possible (although it would surprise me) that the previous DVD drives in the NAV units could only read single layer DVD's. As a result there isn't enough storage for all the POI's and extra maps. Just speculating.... :confused:

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
AikiMDX said:

.............. there isn't enough storage for all the POI's and extra maps. Just speculating.... :confused:
If that was the case then they could offer 2 disc's, one for the west, one for the east. Charge $99 for each. Infiniti has 9 different cds for various regions in the USA.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Well I for one hope that the people at Acura just don't have a clue(most don't as far as I am concerned.) The coverage on the maps is alright but if they had talked about full detailed coverage in 2 years to the 01' buyers why would they make that particular disk only available for that model year? Can someone enlighten me on single and dual layer DVD's? I have never really heard of that particular term till the whole nav thing popped up. Are DVD's for movies single or dual layer? I for one would definately not spend 150.00 for 2% more coverage that I will never use. I can't wait to hear the 03 nav people discuss their coverage. The 02' coverage is nowhere close to where it should be. I will be putting money towards Ron's latest group buy if more detailed coverage is not possible on my player. Might as well "upgrade to something useful.' Heck I wonder what a group buy of 03 nav units would cost if one can't get better coverage(of course that is extreme and unlikely). I hope it doesn't come to that. Is there a techie in the group that can enlighten us? Maybe a single layer DVD can only hold a certain amount of info and it is maxed out. Also why would Acura put money into develping 2 different nav DVD's. Again could go back to the single and dual layer issue. Why would they put a DVD system in if they could have just loaded the info onto a hard drive and said "here it is" take it or leave it". Oh well will wait and see. I still love my nav. I love watching where I am in relation to certain streets. I would have purchased the 03 with NAV had they not dragged their feet in releasing. Remember the uncertainty of release. Of course I understand that there "has" to be a differential between model years but I believe that has been done in other areas. OK I have said enough for now.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
hmmm. been looking at internet for single and dual layer DVD's and came across a site that said:

"Finally, DVD can be recorded on both sides, enabling a maximum of 17GB of storage per disc.

Every DVD drive must be able to read four kinds of discs. These are; single sided single layer (4.7GB), single sided dual layer (8.5GB), double sided single layer (9.4GB), and double sided double layer (17GB)."

I also found this website.

http://www.opticaltechnique.com/html/dvd.htm

I guess the only thing would be the software to know what to read?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I agree, it's complete bogus that they don't have more coverage. The person I spoke with said that was the only thing they could find out. My opinion is that they have had so many problems getting the NAV working on the '03 model that they just haven't had time to upgrade it for the '01/02 - this is pure speculation of course. In my opinion they will have to do more if they are going to get people to do the upgrade - though then again, some people may just upgrade since streets change (construction) and stores come and go - which may be how they are planning on selling it (pure speculation of course).

One other thing - I was told that Acura will be maintaining 2 different versions of the DVD's for the Nav system - pre-'03 DVD and '03 DVD. Maybe someone else can call to see if they can get similar information (or more even) from the # I previously posted.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts