Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to Robert Jackson's suggestion in this thread

I became aware of the existence of this filter on 2nd Gen MDX. The information about it is scattered in many threads. So let me collect it in a single thread so that it is easy to come back to. A lot of original information is in this thread

The part numbers are: (Thanks to Ari!)

03-09 MDX: Cartridge Filter Part#25450-P4V-013, costs about $19 now before shipping and tax
10-12 MDX: In Line Filter Part #25430-PLR-003, costs about $29 now before shipping and tax

The official diagrams are attached for both. For 2007-2009, it seems that we just need to undo two bolts #27, disconnect the hose attached to it, remove the gasket #3 & o-ring #21 then we can simply replace filter #2. 2010 and later has an inline type of filter. According to Robert Jackson's advice:

"On my 2010 the filter is accessed through the driver side plastic fender well, don't know what YM you have. I use Amsoil Signature ATF. 277k+ miles, no problems. Changed the filter once. "

"the fender with a dozen or so pull clips are the biggest PITA. Really can't get much simpler. I like NAPA filters, Amsoil, and for sure check with your local Acura dealer. Oddly enough sometimes they're cheaper. "

"There are 2 bolts that hold bracket 5 in the exploded view on and yes they're easy to get to. The clamps are harder to access but this whole job is straightforward and easy. 3/8 drive ratchet and don't over tighten when you install them."

"It looks like Acura moved this filter to different places depending on YM, I have a 2010 and it looks like the pic in #29.
Once you have the new filter in, start the engine and check for leaks before you install the fender plastic.

One thing I'd like to mention is a study showed most foreign debris introduced into the transmission took place when a service was being done. You must make sure there's no dirt in the filter ends or hoses going on it during this filter swap. Sounds too simple but important to note.

If you change from petroleum base to synthetic you need enough oil to change it twice. Once will not get the oil out of the Torque Converter. Change it, drive it a few miles, then drain and fill the second time. "

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter #2
But I looked it again closely, for 2007, the filter is installed on the wrong side? I mean the hard to get side?

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Are you sure? Looks to me it is just a matter of no space to work with when engine is placed right beside the transmission. Supposed the engine is gone, can one replace the filter without dismantle the transmission?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Registered
Are you sure? Looks to me it is just a matter of no space to work with when engine is placed right beside the transmission. Supposed the engine is gone, can one replace the filter without dismantle the transmission?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
The ATF filter is located inside the bell housing. to replace this filter, you must separate the ATF housing from the engine....for 07-09 MDX

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
The ATF filter is located inside the bell housing. to replace this filter, you must separate the ATF housing from the engine....for 07-09 MDX
Thanks man. What a pity! On a positive note, one less thing to worry about!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts