Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my very first post so I have to make it special.

Got my 02 SS Touring MDX last month. Like most people on this board, I was very disappointed with the "upgraded" Bose System. The key problems are:
1) lack of details and music seems to be very harsh (read distortions) at low or high volume.
2) Adding bass or treble only make the system worse. The music is very muddy.
3) Very easy to get tried when listening to music, also related to distortions) at low or high volume.
4) Lack of power, you need to turn the volume to about 60 to 70% to get to a comfortable listening level. This is really not too much an issue for me as I don't listen at high SPL.

Following the suggestions posted on this website, I purchased two pairs of the Infinity 652i speakers from www.millionbuy.com. The Infinity speakers has the following features that are attractive:
1) High sensitivity --92dB
2) 2-way with a very nice pivitable tweeter that can be set to aim at any angle. Therefore creating very nice high.
3) PlusOne bass, which gives 30% more surface area to move air, therefore gives very good tight bass.

I spent about 2.5 hours to installed all of the speakers. The installation is not very easy, especially for the rare door speakers. But with the good instrustions from here, I was able to do it without too much trouble. All fit very nicely.

I really need to mention the Bose speakers that Acura put in. For people who think that the system can produce "Good Enough" sound, please take a look at these speakers! For God's sake, I would not even put these speakers in a transister radio these days! The rare door speakers are even worse than the front door speakers! They are paper cone, cheap, thin garbage. I think they cost 2 to 3 dollars each! This is really a shame for Acura! especially for a $40k luxury vehicle!

Now, there was an issue about the 2 ohm Bose speakers vs. the 4 ohm infinity speakers. First the infinity speakers have very high sensitivity. After the installation, I listened to the same music and found that there was no reduction in power. These infinity speakers are nice and clear with very good bass. I acutally belive I now have more power because I have the details that I did not have before. I can listen to it at lower volume. This leads me to belive that the speakers Boss put in are not only poor quality,they are also inefficient. Although using 2 ohm can help to increase the power, the distortion also increases. Most of the low power amp can drive the 2 ohm load but the %THD can be 10 times more than when they drive the 4 ohm load!

So the end results? Very very nice! I can finally start to enjoy the music I love (I listen to jass, classical, pop and rock). The improvements are significant and the sound is a lot more smooth and interesting. I'd like to thank all the people who posted their speaker installations.

My next project is to upgrade the Bass speaker. After I found the door speakers are worthless, I took out the Bass speaker and found it is also a junk! The thing is so light with a poor quality paper cone and very small magnetic structure. It is only about 2 inch thin.

I found this interesting BOSS sub at : http://www.millionbuy.com/bosrd100.html

From its spec, it is 4.5 inch deep so it can fit the opening. Also, it has a high sensitivity at 92dB. Also, this speaker is designed to work in small enclosures. Cost is only about $50. I'm going to put it in and will post my review next week.

I hope my above post is helpful.

Dr. Duan

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Did you put in any Dynamat? Does anyone know if Dynamat makes that much of a difference. I also put in the 652is and didn't put the Dynamat yet...

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
MDXtrous said:
Did you put in any Dynamat? Does anyone know if Dynamat makes that much of a difference. I also put in the 652is and didn't put the Dynamat yet...
I did the dynamat both on the mounting surface, and some inside the outer door skin too. I can't tell you how much difference since I did it when I installed the speakers, did not try them before the dynamat.
Bruce's analogy says it all. Imagine tapping on a pie tin, one with a square patch of Dynamat, and another with nothing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts