Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FYI Fry's is having a sale on Infinity 652i for $49 (regular $99, seen for $65 on internet).

Sale ends today (Sorry -only heard about it yesterday). So if you were planning on upgrading your speakers with these, now is a good time to get them (if you have a Fry's in your area). I picked up a pair since I just upgraded the fronts with Kenwood's Excelon dual-mag speakers (KFC-XR600) which are also on sale for $99 (regular $179) at Crutchfield.

I will compare the two speakers. If Kenwoods are indeed better, I will keep them in the front. If the infinties are better or not much different, I will return the kenwoods and buy another pair of Infinity.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Emerald,

Please do let us know about your results--I'm very interested to know how the 2 compare...

Rob :31:

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sale continues at Fry's. Saw the add this morning.

Robyjo,
thanks in your interest.

How do the two pairs of speakers compare?

Kenwood Excelon KFC-XR600 vs the Infinity Reference 625i:

Both speakers are a definite improvement over the Bose. When comparing the two. I mounted one of each in the front doors and faded to the front. From this, I would say the Infinity sound brighter (highs are stronger). Because of this, the Infinity almost sounded a little louder. But both have a sensitivity of 92db. As far as the Kenwoods, they sound more balanced, a little warmer sound to them. The Kenwoods were able to reproduce the bass better but it didn’t sound ‘boomy’. I was surprised at this since the Infinity’s woofer is larger. These Kenwoods are of better quality compared to these Infinity. Infinity have better quality speakers as well (Kappa line) but are not as efficient. Since I wasn’t planning on adding an aftermarket amp for the fronts this was one of the key specifications I was looking at.

I found these Kenwoods by going through the specs in Crutchfield. Kenwood had a 6-1/2” Excelon that had a 93db sensitivity (KFC-X168). The only other 6-1/2’ speaker I knew that had a higher sensitivity was the Soundstream SPL speaker at 94db and 2ohms. I didn’t know anyone who put these in so far and did not know of any vendor with them. Blaupunkt also has one rated at 93db but never had any experience with their products. When going through their list of other speakers I found this pair on sale. I read some reviews on them here: http://www.carreview.com/PRD_10272_1805crx.aspx

Features of the KFC-XR600 worth mentioning: The speaker can be bi-amplified. Essentially there are two terminals, one for the tweeter and one for the woofer. With these wired in parallel, it should drop the impedance and be somewhat closer to the factory Bose speakers in impedance. If each coil is 4 ohms it should now be 2 ohms. I did not measure the impedance of the speaker to actually verify this but I will check. The magnets it uses are the neodymium which are small yet strong. It helps keep mounting depth low and weight down. These two not two critical for the MDX but some speaker i.e. Soundstream need more mods to mount. The tweeters are angle and I mounted them so they point upwards towards the listeners’ ears. If you want to read more about them you can go here: http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-0DvuzwR9O0M/ProdView.asp?a=0&s=0&g=52000&id=essential_info&i=113KFCXR60
I believe this speaker is being replace by the KFC-XR601 that is why I think they are on sale.

Which speaker is better? That for you to decide. If the Kenwoods weren’t on sale I would not have gotten them. I don't like to pay full price for stuff (who does). If I saw the Infinity on sale earlier, I would have probably gotten two pair of those. At their sale prices, I could get two pairs of the Infinity for the same price as the Kenwoods. I also didn't mind paying for quality. I bought knowing I could return them if I didn’t like them. And the only way to tell is to hear them for yourself in your car and NOT is some showroom.

I decided to keep the Kenwoods Excelon dual mags. I mounted them up front since the factory tweeters are still there and preferred them slightly to the Inifinity. I installed the Infinity in the back. The two seem to work together well. Going with all Infinity in all four locations might have accentuated some the things I didn’t like about the speaker (strong highs) and weaker bass.

Next step is to add sound deadening material and upgrade the sub. FYI -For the sub I plan on putting an amp.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Emerald--thanks for the great info! BTW, do you happen to know when the sale ends at Fry's?

Thanks again!
ROb

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rob,
Their sales usually run from Friday to Tuesday. Do you guys have Fry's in Sac?

·
Registered
747 Posts
Hey Em,

Yeah, but I'm down in LA for a convention til Wed. Good to know, I'll try and slip over to a Fry's down here and buy a pair or two--actually, at the price, I'll def. buy the 2 pair.

Thanks again for the info amigo...are you still happy with your combination?

Also, for the sub, do you think it's absolutely essential to add an amp, and what sub are you considering?

Rob :31:

·
Registered
738 Posts
Killer deal on Infinity 652i's

"Is there a window in this high-rise from which I can jump?"

Sorry, couldn't resist the urge:p

Enjoy your Infinitys.

Just remember to disconnect the tweeter and add appropriate bass-blocking elements (not "Bass Blockers" Inc.)

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Also, for the sub, do you think it's absolutely essential to add an amp, and what sub are you considering?
It is probably not essential. Others have had pretty good results with changing out the sub without adding an amp. I just had some extra gear that I took out of my other car before selling (An electronic sub crossover and amp). This will give me some flexibility in the way the sub sounds. I can change the cross over point and adjust the level to match with the front.

The cross over has high-level inputs, which I will try to use. I plan on using the Polk GNX that others have used as well. According to it's specs, it seems to work well in a variety of enclosures and is efficient and has a good freq response. I going to wait til Fry’s has it on sale. I think they had it on sale in the past.

I'm still happy with Kenwood/Infinity combination. I probably going to stick with this.

Bruce, or anyone, would you use the speakers at the sub as high level inputs or should I find the wires before the amp?

·
Registered
738 Posts
Emerald01 said:

I just had some extra gear that I took out of my other car before selling (An electronic sub crossover and amp).

The cross over has high-level inputs, which I will try to use.

Bruce, or anyone, would you use the speakers at the sub as high level inputs or should I find the wires before the amp?
If you will install your own amp, its always cleaner to use line level inputs. The only time people use high, or speaker level inputs is when there is no other choice, i.e. the headunit has no line level pre-outs, only speaker outputs.

On the Bose rear amplifier (mounted several inches from the sub in the 10 or 11 O'Clock position), look for ORN/BLU (+) and BLU/GRN(-) wires on the C connector (connector with a flat 4 pin configuration). These are the line-level, full range mono inputs to the sub amp.

Good luck.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you will install your own amp, its always cleaner to use line level inputs.
I totally agree. I thought there wasn't any line level inputs.

So, I could just cut these wires put on an RCA (male) plug and connect it to my electronic crossover? Thanks for the info, Bruce.

Can you help me out on a remote wire as well? I could probably figure this out with a meter or test light but you telling me is definetly better!

Did you get this all from the Helm's MDX Electrical troubleshooting manual?

I might pick one up as well. I wanted to do stuff with the factory alarm.

·
Registered
738 Posts
"So, I could just cut these wires put on an RCA (male) plug and connect it to my electronic crossover? "
Yep. I used RCA male on one end and stripped leads on the other, from lowly Radio Shack.

"Can you help me out on a remote wire as well? I could probably figure this out with a meter or test light but you telling me is definetly better!"
I stopped using test lights after it fried on expensive component. See below on manual. The Bose rear amp is so weak, there is no remote turn-on wire. Well, sort of. A remote signal on a YEL/WHT wire goes to a multi-relay box near the right headlight, which contains a rear stereo amplifier relay. This triggers juice to a WHT/RED wire that powers the rear amp. If you use this same WHT/RED from the rear amp for both power and remote to your X-over, you should be okay. Because of the Navi voice, I suspect both front and rear amps are always on with ACC & IGN on.

"Did you get this all from the Helm's MDX Electrical troubleshooting manual?"
No, the regular factory service manual, not the electrical version (which I can't imagine ever needing as the service manual has all the pinouts, color code schema and circuit diagrams you could ever want in practically rebuilding the entire electrical system of the car). Worth every penny of the zillion dollars they charge for it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Q for Emerald

I have a Pilot 03. I understant it also uses 6.5" Speakers and has separate tweeters on the dash. When you installed your Kenwoods did you disconnect the tweeters ? Or you left them alone, as the main deck is doing the cross over ?

Thanks.

KE

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Kepilot,
No, I did not disconnect the tweeters. The 6-1/2's receive a 'full range' sound, including the highs. So, if you put in full range replacements it is not needed to disconnect the factory tweeter.

But I'm considering disconnecting the factory tweeters or making a higher cutoff frequency as they seem to degrade the sound quality of the fronts. They appear to play quite a bit of upper midrange as well.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Emerald01 said:
Kepilot,
No, I did not disconnect the tweeters. The 6-1/2's receive a 'full range' sound, including the highs. So, if you put in full range replacements it is not needed to disconnect the factory tweeter.

But I'm considering disconnecting the factory tweeters or making a higher cutoff frequency as they seem to degrade the sound quality of the fronts. They appear to play quite a bit of upper midrange as well.
I did disconnect the door tweeters after my Infinity install and upon advice of TheyCallMeBruce. Subjectively, the highs sound a bit cleaner.
More noticeable was adding bass blockers to the front pair. Virtually no 'booming' and smooth bass. I plan to do the same for the rear. Cutoff is 150Hz. Sub should be reproducing everything below that. A good sub that is.
I will eventually go with components probably Polk, so not getting too carried away at this point, except replacing sub with a Polk GNX.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
DaleB said:

I did disconnect the door tweeters after my Infinity install and upon advice of TheyCallMeBruce. Subjectively, the highs sound a bit cleaner.
More noticeable was adding bass blockers to the front pair. Virtually no 'booming' and smooth bass. I plan to do the same for the rear. Cutoff is 150Hz. Sub should be reproducing everything below that. A good sub that is.
I will eventually go with components probably Polk, so not getting too carried away at this point, except replacing sub with a Polk GNX.
Dale,
Where did you disconnect the tweeters from? I have not attempted to remove the covers.
I am also quite happy with the sound now that I have installed the bass blockers in the front speakers, however, I have no plans to install in the rear. The booming bass does not seem so prevelant as it was in the front doors. I also was not happy with the subwoofer mod and I have restored it to the factory set up. An upgraded sub may well be in the future. I would be interested to hear your thoughts after you replace it.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
The best info on the sub would be found with searches under the user name mushman. He has been very helpful.

The little screen pod on the front door just pops off (gently). You can just cut any wire going to the little tweeter's voice coil. I snipped the cap wire going to the speaker terminal because it was easiest to get at. I did not remove the speaker itself. I plan to do that if I replace it with something better in the future.

I got the bass blockers from Crutchfield for convenience, they are very small (much smaller than the big caps Circuit City carries) and are terminated with clips that fit the large terminal on most 4 ohm auto speakers, as well as the adpater needed for Acura needed to install speakers.

part # PAC BB-150A2 Bass Blockers (1 pr.)

Maik: What subwoofer mod did you do?

·
Registered
1,377 Posts

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Maik said:

I tried the mod as described in the following tread (Installed 4 Infinities in Doors) as recommended by Theycallmebruce. As I stated earlier, I was not entirely happy with the booming sound after the mod, so I restored it back to factory setup.

http://www.acuramdx.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6378
Well, I do see the bass blcokers as an interim fix. It does get rid of that bass emphasis.
It makes the Inifinity changeout that much better.
Nothing will replace a well conceived and matched component system. But in the meantime we can treat our ears to something more pleasant than stock Bose.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts