Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One week into owning a MDX, and I couldn't stand the "muddy" bose system. I paid $$$ for this premium Bose system??? Needed cleaner highs and better control of bass. Didn't want to do a dash makeover (Although I would have if Acura would have given us a standard double din dash). Here is my journey....

Just finished installing (4) Infinity 652i 6.5" speakers all around and a 10" self powered Infinity Basslink Subwoofer.

Total Time: 2 hours
Difficulty of Install: need basic knowlegde of car stereo installation
Sound quality: Much Much better, this is what a premium sound system from the factory should sound like. Not going to win any awards, but I feel it to be a good route to get clean sound short of changing out the head unit and spending my savings.

Total cost: less than $500
Enjoyment of a DIY and improvement over Bose...oh yeah and to impress the chicks: PRICELESS

I now get my "crisp" highs and have total control of the bass via a remote control volume controller for the subwoofer. I didn't install any "bass blockers" for the door speakers like some folks did around here. I just decreased the bass on the head unit and compensated the missing bass with the subwoofer.

The Infinity subwoofer is self powered 200 watt 10" sub. It has built in gains, crossover, and a remote control option. I mounted to the lid over the headrest. The subwoofer can easily be removed for extra space...but the feet are screwed into the board. Check out the pictures.

Some useful information:
Power supply: Ran the (+) wire cable from the battery
Signal supply: I tapped into the rear door speaker signals and ran it to the subwoofer's amp
Remote power on: The subwoofer automatically turns on when it senses a sound signal...thus eliminating the need for a separate "remote turn on"

Peace

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Exposed wires for now...this is where I tapped into the rear door panel speakers and hooked it up to the sub.

Attachments

·
Registered
306 Posts
Looks great drno...

One question..does your MDX have the rear headrest storage area? If so, is this what you mounted the sub to or is it just the pic that kinda looks that way?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The brackets are screwed to the lid covering the headrests. The subwoofer just "pops" out of the brackets. The brackets are then left behind on top of the lid covering the headrests. You can then disconnect the sub from the SUV or move it aside for room.

Unfortunately, since it is screwed to the lid covering the headrests...You are left with protruding brackets once the sub is removed. Not an idea situation if you want to transport...say...plywood. But you can always take the lid out of the SUV along with the sub when you transport plywood. Why would you transport plywood anyways :eek:

·
Registered
88 Posts
drno,
I'm very interested in getting a basslink or maybe the basslink II and installing it myself. Could you please help me with the walkthrough? I would really appreciated any help. Do you think it would sound better if you wired the basslink directly to the head unit?

Does the headunit have preamp outputs? I have a bose system. Thanks

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Have you tried facing it into the vehicle instead of at the back hatch? If so, how did it sound comparatively?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts