Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i dropped off my MDX to my independent mechanic for the too lean codes a few weeks back.

He had it for several days and threw up his hands and said it’s time to start ripping into the engine or replacing some parts so maybe it’s worth bringing it to Acura to see what they have to say.

When I went to pick it up I said “it really pains me to ask this but what do I owe you” and he said “he didn’t even write it up yet, let’s see what Acura says” and left it at that.

I brought it to Acura and they fixed it that day.

I told my Indy that same day that Acura fixed it and how. That was weeks ago, I got a bill in the mail yesterday for $400 from my Indy.
This stings me a bit. I get it. He should get paid for something but if you can’t fix it and don’t have the ability to, shouldn’t he have recognized that.

One of the things he did was drain the gas tank and refill it - which clearly was not needed.

I feel like I am paying for their learning experience.

What would you do?

·
Registered
520 Posts
Yeah, not cool IMO. Since they couldn't fix it and seemed to just be experimenting I'd have a hard time with $400. Many shops will cap their diag at 1 hour if they can't get it figured out while others will just say sorry and N/C it.

·
Registered
937 Posts
I told my Indy that same day that Acura fixed it and how. That was weeks ago, I got a bill in the mail yesterday for $400 from my Indy.
Excuse me, what? They could not figure out what's wrong with the car, let alone fix it and they billed you $400? For what?

I understand they spent some time diagnosing it, but $400? I don't think so. If you are planning to bill a customer for some work or diagnostics, you need to inform this customer about associated costs and confirm with the customer if this cost is increasing. That's what any reputable shop (and a dealer) would do.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts