Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello MDXers!
So I'm seriously looking at getting a weekend vehicle for my boys and I and I've been really intrigued with getting a 2007-08 MDX and the Miles are ranging from 95k- 115k for the ones I'm looking at. Because of price I'm getting a used, plus have a work car I use for the miles to and from work. I know everyone on here might be bias because this is an Acura forum but I need some expert advice.
How is the gas mileage that you've experienced?
Any major negatives you've had with any of these vehicles?
How is the handling in bad weather?

The other vehicles I'm looking at aren't as nice, but I'm trying not to break the bank, but would like something nice. Others have 25-29mpg but not the same reviews.
Sorry for the long post, I'm a virgin to forums.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Gas mileage is rough, but it is a big vehicle. At 80mph on the highway, I get about 19-20. Mixed driving is probably closer to 17. What are you looking at that gets anywhere near 25-29? Must be a smaller SUV.

At this milage the timing belt is due for replacement. It's about a $1500 job. You can buy the parts for about $300-400 if you want to do the work yourself. As with any used vehicle make sure maintenance is up to date, fluids changed, etc.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
I agree.. In the market for the same 7 Seat Crossover class there is nothing that gets 25-29 not even the brand new 2017 Sport Hybrid will pull those numbers. 25-29 is probably something north of a new RDX which is smaller and lighter.. But in the Class Category of the MDX is more of a 21-27MPG and that is only for Late Models.

Going back to reality for the 2007-2009 models:
MPG is hard for the 2G Specially in the City with the 5 speedo so do not expect anything great.
EPA sells you 17-22 which was AVERAGE back in those years.
I average around 15 in the city, Worst I´ve seen is 11mpgs in heavy traffic but once it opens up its easy for my MDX to hit 22-23mpgs at 70mph... Unless you are planning on hitting hwy speeds on a daily basis the MPGs will kill you at downtown speeds. The MDX hovers into V8 MPGs Territory in the City more often than not.

SH-AWD is one of the best AWD Systems in the World so Handling in Bad Weather is effortless and very secure.

Basically what I can resume is that the MDX is a great highway Touring crossover but it will punish you in traffic and at low speeds with bad mpgs... Unless you really need the utility and/or the ride height and seats? You should be looking elsewhere... Perhaps an RL from 2005-2007 which gets better MPGs and has SH-AWD too.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
I have a 11 MDX and 08 RDX. My RDX gets a little better city mpgs at 18-20 combined -vs- 16 to 18 for the MDX. I've seen as low as 14-15 mpgs in city driving in larger cities like Denver, Las Vegas, LA. Different MPGs on the hwy; RDX is about 20-21 mph at 80 mph; while, the MDX can see 22-24 mph at the same speed (depending on altitude and downshifts). My MDX seems more at home for long hwy hauls at top speed. My RDX is a city car that can be extremely fun to drive with sh-awd and turbo tq. Another plus for the RDX turbo is the performance doesn't diminish as much as the MDX 3.7L engine as you go up in elevation.

I would check out the 07-12 Acura RDX with sh-awd for a fun car with a lot of utility to go with its sport. The RDX also has more aftermarket support to increase the turbo power to +300 hp and tq and beef up the suspension with coilover/RSB/lowering springs if you want. I goto my RDX as my weapon of choice when I want to have a little fun driving. You will find on/off ramps max posted speeds are really the minimal speeds for the RDX to take the curve.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
^ You can tell by the MPG numbers how the 5 speed and 6 speed behaves..
Since the top gear in the 6 speed has the same ratio as the top gear in the 5 speed they will have the same Hwy MPG numbers but that all changes in the City where the extra gear in the 6 speedo really helps with City MPG numbers.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
The difference between the 5AT and 6AT MDXs is a little faster acceleration from 0-60 with the 6AT. Realistically, 0-60 runs never really happen in a family SUV. The 6AT can help with a little faster mid-range acceleration also. I can't access 1st gear using the paddles with the 6AT. I'm not 100% sure and I haven't really checked to see if 1st is being used in "normal" acceleration or the MDX just starts in 2nd gear?

Acura did make a minor upgrade to the 3.7L engine for +10 (or downgrade because of the burning oil issue with some +10 MDXs). The +10 MDX have 5lbs less tq; but, a wider tq range overall compared to the 07-09 MDXs. If I get 17-18 city and 20-22 hwy I am extremely happy with those mpgs.

I had a few +14 MDX loaners with the 6AT and 9AT. My city mpgs were around the same as my 11 MDX if I drive them the same (you can drive the 07-13 MDX a little harder than the +14 MDXs).

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
For me to get 17-18mpgs City I must be pushing the car myself...
No way in this universe I see those numbers unless I am hypemiling it and timing each and every stop signs. It is a hassle to get 17mpgs... So I do not bother anymore.

15mpgs is my average on a daily basis in 100% city but at least I am not worried about the RPMs, I VTEC quite often too and keep it on Sport Shift basically all day.. Its a whole different Animal when you keep the MDX in the Power Range.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts