Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We took our new X (TW Touring Nav) to Colorado from St. Louis over the new year. This gave us ample opportunity to test many features and really figure everything out.

The Good:

The power and feel of the car.
Even though I "grannied" it since it had so few miles, I could really feel the power. Up and down the long hills between Denver and Beaver Creek helped me get this impression. The engine breaking worked very well going down the hills. Kept it in either third or second and RPM's stayed low and seldom had to use the breaks.

It feels very good. Both my wife and I kept commenting on how confident we felt driving it.

The VTM4. Over night, a snow storm "buried" the front of the car in a drift. The MDX just crawled right out, no slipping at all. I was very impressed.

Audio Quality. I am fairly picky about sound quality and the Bose was OK for me. Could use more bass, but all in all, just fine.

Size. even though the footprint of the area behind the seat is about the same size as my 98 Accord (using the cargo liner from it and it fits almost perfect) it seems to hold plenty for us.

The BAD:
The NAVI system. This could also go in the Good section (it truly is an amazing system and I am very glad I spent the money), but I wanted to point out some improvements that I think could be made. First, make rest areas easier to find. it took me about 1000 miles to even find them (in the travel menus). It seems to me that not only should there be a voice command for rest areas (when you gotta go, you gotta go), but and icon on the map would be a good idea.

The strange incompleteness of the hotels section. The Comfort Inns in both Colby KS and Hays (I think) KS were not there. Also the icons for gas stations and hotels seem to only show about half the stuff there. This may be a subscription issue and I don't understand if businesses pay to be in the system or not, but it was not reliable. And some things were not in the right places. A Bob Evans resturant which had been there for 7 years was about 2 miles off.

More voice commands. I wish I could get into the trip computer part or the AC info stuff with a command. I have RTFM but I can't seem to get there.

The Wish List:
Some of this is probably impossible, but just for fun . . .
A radar detector connected to the NAVI which would show an icon for an upcoming highway patrolman. :)

Better all weather mats. I looked at all the threads and chose the Acura ones for better fit, but they really need to have deeper grooves.

Built in cell phone. I read that it might use the empty slot in the NAVI. That would be cool.

Bottom Line:

WE LOVE IT!

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
Rottmanj,
You gave us the good and it sounds great. Do you have anything to report on the "bad and the ugly"?? :D

Just curious.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, I posted too soon and then edited the post. I put the Bad, but I could not find any Ugly.

Boy, you are fast!!

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
Rottmanj said:
Boy, you are fast!!
I get that from my wife all of the time!!;)

Thanks for the info! It is very informative.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Rottmanj...thanks for the input. I agree with you on most points. I particularly agree with your navigation comments. I'm very glad I have it but it's been less than fully accurate with icons many times recently.

The one issue where we part company is the stereo system. For whatever reason, my system seems to emphasize the bass WAY too much. Depending on the music, the sub is VERY thuddy. I keep the bass set at it's lowest point (negative 5) and still find times where I feel like I'm annoying the cars around me with the heavy base thud. I guess it could be personal preference but I'm not so sure. I love bass in home theater situations but this is just too thick and heavy...not crisp and tight.

Anyway, thanks again for your insights. I'm heading out on my second extended roadtrip in the X next week and I'll post any updates after that trip.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Rothmanj

Congrats to your new MDX and I share the same drive feeling than you.

Could you elaborate more when you said :"Kept it in either third or second and RPM's stayed low and seldom had to use the breaks."

Also, I would like to know from you and other folks about when to use D5, D4, D3 and so on. In urban driving, I usually use D5, is-it correct ?

Thanks.

:)

·
Registered
410 Posts
Rott,

I too just crossed the 2K mark in my 03. I ditto every one of your comments. Regarding the nav, I've also noticed about half of the gas stations, hotels, etc. appear. Even along the busy I-10 corridor between Houston and Baton Rough, about half appear. Although the system is new, data collectors obviusly rely on old information. Phone listings in my area reflect an area code which changed three years ago! I guess that we'll need to belly-up when the DVD update becomes available. One of my dislikes that you did not mention is placement of the dead pedal (the rest for your left foot). Perhaps my feet are just too big, but I only find the rest to be truly comfortable when I'm not wearing shoes. But to my surprise, I've finally grown accustom to the the crazy zig-zag shifter.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In reference to the engine controlling the speed:

When we were going down large inclines (the ones with the truck run away ramps) I put the MDX in 3rd or 2nd and the transmission kept the car from going too fast. RPM's did not red line - in fact not even close and I did not have to ride the brake.

Dead Pedal:

I have never had a car with one (Other SUVers on this forum like and need them) so I never looked for one. The spot for my left foot seemed OK to me (6ft 200 lbs).

NAVI Icons: the more I think about this the more I remember the fact that for every 2 icons for Gas Stations, I saw 4 GS and the same for hotels.

Does anyone here know how firms are included in the NAVI?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts