Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are likely going to replace our Audi Q5 with a 2014/2015 MDX. Looking for preowned with relatively low miles (<30000), at least tech package, preferably in blue but color is not a deal-breaker. We have found a few <$40k, but most are out of driving distance and would be a couple thousand to ship (we're in Boise, ID.) I'm a dual citizen, and found the perfect car in Vancouver - we have purchased cross-border previously. $38k for a blue 2014 MDX with low miles, and has advance, entertainment and tech packages. Upon research, we found that Honda/Acura will not honor factory warranties which is likely a deal-breaker but we aren't sure.

1. The Canadian dealer offered incentives plus a third-party warranty. I don't trust 3rd party warranties and I'd sooner take a discount and go without. Is $8k savings worth purchasing with a void factory warranty?

2. I assume even if we were willing to purchase the Acura Care service contract after the car is titled in the US, it's not possible to do so on a Canadian car (even if the car is manufactured in the US?) Does anyone have any information on this?

I have to say we were really excited about an MDX but this obvious money-grab by Honda has kind of soured things. Thanks for any advice or help!

·
Premium Member
5,255 Posts
This is kind of a gray area, but something that I have dealt with before. Let me explain things as I understand them. You may wish to confirm with Acura, but I do remember dealing with these kinds of situations before.

There are reasons for the warranty only being valid in the country of original sale:

1. With fluctuations of the dollar in both countries, getting a vehicle from one side or the other could represent a huge savings, and Acura doesn't want people from one country taking all of the vehicles allocated to another country.

2. The service system in each country is only set up to recognize vehicles in that specific country. If someone in Canada needed a PCM and provided a VIN, I can't verify it's correct because I can't look up Canadian VINs. I run into this ALL the time with HFL units.

3. Each new vehicle sold has a dollar amount allocated to it in the books of each country for warranty repair work, sort of a self-insurance policy with an expense added to each vehicle to the net out the door cost to Acura. When vehicles cross borders, money has to change hands. Done en masse, this could represent a logistical nightmare....so it's kept to a minimum.

4. Equipment packages offered in Canada are different than the US market. In the past, this has included things such as DRLs, heated mirrors, headlight washers and the like.

As I recall, the factory Acura warranty will still be good, IF:

1. You move from the US to Canada, or vice versa. There is a special provision for a cross border warranty transfer, but as I recall, it has to involve a move from one place to the other.

2. The vehicle is titled and registered in Canada to a Canadian address. However, you must go to Canada for any warranty work.

·
Premium Member
5,255 Posts
2. I assume even if we were willing to purchase the Acura Care service contract after the car is titled in the US, it's not possible to do so on a Canadian car (even if the car is manufactured in the US?) Does anyone have any information on this?
Nope, you can't buy a US AcuraCare for a Canada spec vehicle.

And watch out for those aftermarket warranties because:

1. I don't know how a Canadian dealer could buy one and sell it to you that would be valid in the US. I've been selling warranty policies for 11 years and I've never seen it.

2. Most aftermarket warranties exclude things that you wouldn't think of. I had a customer buy a Canadian Odyssey, and his radio buttons stopped working. The problem was the air bag clock spring (cable reel), but since the SRS light wasn't on, it wasn't covered.

3. Warranty companies regularly go out of business, leaving you holding the bag for any work.

I do understand that Geico offers an excellent warranty, though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
2. Most aftermarket warranties exclude things that you wouldn't think of. I had a customer buy a Canadian Odyssey, and his radio buttons stopped working. The problem was the air bag clock spring (cable reel), but since the SRS light wasn't on, it wasn't covered.

I do understand that Geico offers an excellent warranty, though.
I kind of figured all of this - thanks so much for confirming though! I am VERY wary of aftermarket warranties - the Canadian dealer has offered one through First Canadian, and it does say very clearly in the brochure that it is good in Canada and the continental US, but all it took was a 2 second google search to see people had had the same problems with them that you hear about with the 3rd party warranties. We'll have to check out GEICOs...or be relegated to a continued search in the US! Thanks again!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Incidentally, do you happen to know if a person transferred the warranty due to a move, and then sold later within the US if the warranty would continue to be transferable? Just curious as we've sold Canadian cars here privately (although none under warranty) and I had never considered that issue before.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts