Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It appears that the Bose 6-Disk CD Changer cannot handle CDs with paper labels. This usually comes up when someone burns a CD-R and then adds a paper label to the front to look nice. While the Bose unit can play CD-Rs just fine (in the CD format, at least), the rollers to eject the CD just cannot grab the paper surface well and the CD may appear to jam. This happened to me last night. I was ejecting all 6 CDs and the unit appeared to jam and started flashing the ER-E1 code. When I looked inside in the light of day, I could see a partially ejected CD. A little help got the CD out and the player seems fine now. BUT

I ADVISE NEVER INSERTING CDs WITH PAPER LABELS IN YOUR BOSE CD CHANGER.

This may be common knowledge, but I didn't see any reference to it while searching the forums last night.

·
681 Posts
Not Just the Bose

I STRONGLY recommend (based on painful experience) that you NEVER put paper labels on CDs. While they may work OK in full-height drives they are a disaster waiting to happen in CD changers and thin drives like you find in Notebooks. Also they can come loose especially while spinning at a zillion RPM and then it's all over.
I used labels for a while cause they were "cute" but after a few disasters I gave it up. Now I have a nifty CD Inkjet printer (modified Epson 740) that prints directly onto printable coated media. If you have an old Epson Inkjet Printer and you are handy, there was even a guy selling plans on EBay to build your own. I opted not to (I am NOT handy) but I found the instructions were very well written and if followed would have produced a pretty similar printer.
Super cheap option - Sharpee Marking Pens - not very cute but it won't kill your CD drive.
Meep Meep

·
Registered
58 Posts
CD STuck

I had a similar problem last week with a CD with a paper label. It too was sticking out and I was able to pull it out. Haven't had a similar problem since, but thanks for the warning.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Not only will labels cause compatability problems, but if they are the least bit off-center, the the label will cause the weight of the disc to be unevenly distributed. This could permanently damage your player while spinning the disc at high speeds.

It's good to know this changer is CD-R compatible - I heard the Lexus changers have some trouble. Anyone know if the Acura/Bose will read a CD-RW?

·
Super Moderator
4,592 Posts
OctaveDoctor said:
Anyone know if the Acura/Bose will read a CD-RW?
It will not,the manual specifically states it will not, bummer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts