Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2008 looks like a beater inside. The driver's seat - outside edges of the seat and back bolsters - are torn and falling apart. The car has 96,000 miles on. I'm guessing it's worth around $10,000-12,000 (wholesale-retail). And, it will soon need the $1,800 105,000 service. I realize I can pick and choose which parts of the 105k service to do. But, it'll still be north of $1,300.

So, I'm trying to decide what to do about the seats. If I keep it, they need to be addressed. But, given the car's value and the other $$$ that needs to put in to it, I don't want throw too much money at it.

With side airbags, what are my options? Is there a "kit" available to just replace the leather? Or, is this more of a traditional custom job for an upholstery shop?

Thanks.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Timing belt is to receive service at 105,000 miles or 7 years, which ever comes 1st.
The TB is past due, by 3 years and you are at risk.
Don't delay this anymore.

Check online, for salvage yards that have your seat. You can drive to the location, examine the seat, buy it, disconnect the battery, remove the seat bolts, un-clip the connectors, and pull your old seat out.

I just looked at e-bay and all of these have intact airbags:

Chocolate seat shipped, for $399
Gray/Toupe seat shipped, for $325
Black seat shipped, for $325
Gray/Toupe $150 + $65 shipping

·
Registered
268 Posts
The OEM seat leather covers are quite pricey. Not sure which color you have but here are the part numbers for the driver side:

Seat Back ~$500 @ Bernardi Acura
04815-STX-A00ZA (Black)
04815-STX-A00ZB (Gray)
04815-STX-A00ZC (Ivory)
04815-STX-A00ZD (Brown)

Seat Bottom ~$400 @ Bernardi Acura
81531-STX-A01ZA (Black)
81531-STX-A01ZB (Gray)
81531-STX-A01ZC (Ivory)
81531-STX-A01ZD (Brown)

I would think that an upholstery shop would be able to redo your seat covers for a bit less money, but it's something I've never done before. I guess it wouldn't hurt to call around and get an estimate.

Like carpayment4life mentioned, you can check for used seats at salvage yards in your area. I've found that car-part.com is a pretty good database for used parts, and it could tell you about how far the yards are from you.

Also, I'm pretty sure that Coverking makes custom fit synthetic leather/vinyl seat covers. I've purchased their seat covers in a different material, and have been happy with them so far. Another company that makes custom seat covers is Precisionfit (a division of Covercraft). They offer both leather and vinyl covers. Both companies will send you material samples if you request them, and both companies have designs that accommodate side airbags.

Coverking says on their website that they will offer custom leather interior kits sometime soon. However, it looks like you'd have to do some waiting and they might not even offer it for your vehicle as the MDX has pretty much always come with leather seats.

·
Registered
350 Posts
The OEM seat leather covers are quite pricey. Not sure which color you have but here are the part numbers for the driver side:

Seat Back ~$500 @ Bernardi Acura
04815-STX-A00ZA (Black)
04815-STX-A00ZB (Gray)
04815-STX-A00ZC (Ivory)
04815-STX-A00ZD (Brown)

Seat Bottom ~$400 @ Bernardi Acura
81531-STX-A01ZA (Black)
81531-STX-A01ZB (Gray)
81531-STX-A01ZC (Ivory)
81531-STX-A01ZD (Brown)

I would think that an upholstery shop would be able to redo your seat covers for a bit less money, but it's something I've never done before. I guess it wouldn't hurt to call around and get an estimate.

Like carpayment4life mentioned, you can check for used seats at salvage yards in your area. I've found that car-part.com is a pretty good database for used parts, and it could tell you about how far the yards are from you.

Also, I'm pretty sure that Coverking makes custom fit synthetic leather/vinyl seat covers. I've purchased their seat covers in a different material, and have been happy with them so far. Another company that makes custom seat covers is Precisionfit (a division of Covercraft). They offer both leather and vinyl covers. Both companies will send you material samples if you request them, and both companies have designs that accommodate side airbags.

Coverking says on their website that they will offer custom leather interior kits sometime soon. However, it looks like you'd have to do some waiting and they might not even offer it for your vehicle as the MDX has pretty much always come with leather seats.

I’m in this boat too but probably won’t get to it for 6-12 months so I’ll be interested in how it turns out. Please post your follow up. Thanks!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Wet Okole is under $500 for a pair and they are custom stitched and accommodate for side airbags. The ROC community, that I belong to, has great reviews about them. There is a lead time as they are made to order in most cases. If I was in your position, I would go that route.
Other maintenance items, you may want to address them quickly.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Wet Okole is under $500 for a pair and they are custom stitched and accommodate for side airbags. The ROC community, that I belong to, has great reviews about them.

I’ve heard great things about them as well & intend to use their neoprene on my offroad truck, however, for the MDX, the wife will definitely want leather-can’t remember if they do that.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I’m in this boat too but probably won’t get to it for 6-12 months so I’ll be interested in how it turns out. Please post your follow up. Thanks!

I don't have a need for any of these, as I already have the Coverking neoprene covers for the front seats on my '15 MDX. I ordered mine through the Costco website.

Actually, to all those interested, if you're a Costco member the Coverking seat covers look to be much cheaper if you order from the Costco website as opposed to the manufacturer's site. If you're looking to purchase the leather seat covers, it looks like it's definitely worth it to pay for a year membership if you don't already have one.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I don't have a need for any of these, as I already have the Coverking neoprene covers for the front seats on my '15 MDX. I ordered mine through the Costco website.

Actually, to all those interested, if you're a Costco member the Coverking seat covers look to be much cheaper if you order from the Costco website as opposed to the manufacturer's site. If you're looking to purchase the leather seat covers, it looks like it's definitely worth it to pay for a year membership if you don't already have one.

Good info, Thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.